SONY DSC-S90, CASIO EX-Z55 Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rainyday, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. rainyday

    rainyday Guest

    I have been looking around for a digital camera and I have a few
    questions.

    SONY DSC-S90:
    I read something here about this being recalled in China, is this
    strange or is it agreed upon that this camera has quality problems?

    I have a iBook G4 with OS X 10.4, all the websites say this works for
    OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 but no mention of 10.4. Will it work
    for me?

    Will I be able to just use iPhoto, or will I be forced to use Sony's
    software?

    CASIO EX-Z55:
    This comes with a docking station, something I have no iterest in - can
    I just plug a USB cable into this to avoid the dock?

    I am also confused as to whether you can charge this without the dock.

    Will I be able to use this with iPhoto like I described before?

    SUGGESTIONS:
    Of course I could just be looking for the wrong camera. If you know
    something better, this is what I want in a camera, although I can give
    and take...

    Small

    AA Batteries (I know the CASIO doesn't have them)

    $250-$300

    Over 4 MP

    LOW SHUTTER LAG

    Thanks for your time.
    rainyday, Feb 26, 2006

  2. rainyday

    mrsgator88 Guest

    My DSC-S90 works just fine. I'm sure it works with the latest Mac OS, and
    you can always use a card reader if you want. I either manually copy the
    pictures, use Kodak EasyShare, or Adobe Download Manager, I don't use Sony's
    software. HTH,

    Steve

    mrsgator88, Feb 26, 2006

  3. rainyday

    rainyday Guest

    Would you recommend the DSC-S90? I read in some places that it tends to
    focus on objects in front of people and not at what you want. The
    digicam my girlfriend owns (FinePix A330) does that and it can be
    frustrating. What do you have to say about the batteries? I have also
    read that the camera is picky.

    Thanks again, the support I've got from the merchants has been
    pathetic.

    rainyday, Feb 26, 2006
  4. rainyday

    mrsgator88 Guest

    I like it. I haven't had a problem with the focussing. The battery life
    has been very good. It takes AA's and uses an external charger, so power is
    never really a problem anyways. The review of the Fuji A330 mentions low
    light focussing problems, you won't have that the with the Sony.

    mrsgator88, Feb 27, 2006
  5. rainyday

    rainyday Guest

    Thanks again.

    Does anyone here have any experience with the CASIO EX-Z55 or EX-Z57?

    As much as I want a camera with AA batteries (various reasons) I am
    drawn to very small cameras that can easily slip into my pocket.

    The reviews of the EX-Z55/57 all say it does terribly indoors. Anyone
    here been through this? Otherwise it seems to sound great...long
    battery life, huge, clear screen, great shutter lag.

    So if anyone has these cameras please let me know you personal
    experience.

    Thanks.

    rainyday, Feb 28, 2006
  6. rainyday

    rainyday, Feb 28, 2006
  7. rainyday

    mrsgator88 Guest

    I bought my dad the Kodak v530. Its small and fast. Good battery life,
    very nice screen too, you can view it from any angle. It seems like there's
    a lot of Kodak complaints here, but, I think his is great and I also have a
    fairly recent Kodak P&S and I love it too.

    mrsgator88, Mar 1, 2006