    the instructions specifically say not to use lithium AA batteries. I'm
    wondering why not and what the harm would be. Thanks!

    Steve
    mrsgator88, Jan 3, 2006

  2. mrsgator88

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "mrsgator88" <> writes:
    > I was very happy with the performance of lithium AA's in my previous
    > camera, and I still have a lot of them left. I just purchased a
    > Sony dsc-s90, and the instructions specifically say not to use
    > lithium AA batteries. I'm wondering why not and what the harm would
    > be. Thanks!

    Well, that's a drag. Lithium AA's have slightly higher voltage than
    alkalines or NiMH, so it could be that the Sony camera isn't built to
    handle it. It could also be that the instruction manual writer got
    asked about lithium AA's and didn't know the answer, so chose a
    cautious one without checking with the engineers.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 3, 2006

  3. mrsgator88

    mrsgator88 Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > "mrsgator88" <> writes:
    >> I was very happy with the performance of lithium AA's in my previous
    >> camera, and I still have a lot of them left. I just purchased a
    >> Sony dsc-s90, and the instructions specifically say not to use
    >> lithium AA batteries. I'm wondering why not and what the harm would
    >> be. Thanks!

    > Well, that's a drag. Lithium AA's have slightly higher voltage than
    > alkalines or NiMH, so it could be that the Sony camera isn't built to
    > handle it. It could also be that the instruction manual writer got
    > asked about lithium AA's and didn't know the answer, so chose a
    > cautious one without checking with the engineers.

    On re-reading the manual, it mentions the risk that the lithium batteries
    could suffer a "brownout", but I don't know what that means or if it would
    affect the camera. I'd still prefer to use them if possible.
    mrsgator88, Jan 3, 2006
  4. mrsgator88

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "mrsgator88" <> writes:
    > On re-reading the manual, it mentions the risk that the lithium
    > batteries could suffer a "brownout", but I don't know what that
    > means or if it would affect the camera. I'd still prefer to use
    > them if possible.

    I don't know what it means either. I'd say use NiMH if you can.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 3, 2006
  5. mrsgator88

    imbsysop Guest

    > "mrsgator88" <> writes:
    >> On re-reading the manual, it mentions the risk that the lithium
    >> batteries could suffer a "brownout", but I don't know what that
    >> means or if it would affect the camera. I'd still prefer to use
    >> them if possible.

    > I don't know what it means either. I'd say use NiMH if you can.

    getting brown by overheating ..
    imbsysop, Jan 3, 2006
  6. mrsgator88

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "imbsysop" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> "mrsgator88" <> writes:
    >>> On re-reading the manual, it mentions the risk that the lithium
    >>> batteries could suffer a "brownout", but I don't know what that
    >>> means or if it would affect the camera. I'd still prefer to use
    >>> them if possible.

    >> I don't know what it means either. I'd say use NiMH if you can.

    > getting brown by overheating ..

    My canon A40 also said don't use. My A95 doesn't say anything on the
    subject. I use NiMH anyway and carry spares. Never had a problem.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 3, 2006