    TIFF mode w/o going too deep in tech detail? My printer is an older
    epson 1270.

    thx

    Dean Tran, Apr 22, 2004

  2. "Dean Tran" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > what is the largest acceptable printout for a 4MB pixel digital camera
    > at 2 feet or more viewing distance if I record in (fine) uncompressed
    > TIFF mode w/o going too deep in tech detail? My printer is an older
    > epson 1270.

    At 6x8 or larger, a 300D image will look better. At 8x10 or larger, a 1Ds
    image will look better than a 300D image. That doesn't mean an S85 image
    will look bad at 11x14: no one has ever made a large digital print that they
    didn't think was absolutely stupendous, so there really isn't a maximum
    size.

    Speaking as an ex-S85 owner, the Sony's best quality jpeg is
    indistinguishable from tiff, but you should shoot at ISO 100 at f/5.6 or
    f/8. Shooting at f/4 or wider, or at ISO 200 or higher will degrade image
    quality on large prints. For large prints, use a solid tripod if possible.
    For landscapes, use manual focus and set the focus to infinity, since AF
    occasionally focuses on the foreground.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Dean Tran

    Patrick Guest

    A4 is perfect and I printed an A3 (12"x16") via a MiniLab which I am very
    happy with.
    That is from 2 feet away and behind glass. Camera was Canon S45 (4MP)

    Patrick.

    Patrick, Apr 22, 2004
  4. "Dean Tran" <> wrote in message
    > what is the largest acceptable printout for a 4MB pixel digital camera
    > at 2 feet or more viewing distance if I record in (fine) uncompressed
    > TIFF mode w/o going too deep in tech detail? My printer is an older
    > epson 1270.

    8x10 inch for best quality at 2 feet viewing distance with adequate
    lighting. Depending on the subject you may get away with more, but you'll
    need a good interpolation software to enlarge and sharpen the file before
    printing.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Dean Tran

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> what is the largest acceptable printout for a 4MB pixel digital camera
    >> at 2 feet or more viewing distance if I record in (fine) uncompressed
    >> TIFF mode w/o going too deep in tech detail? My printer is an older
    >> epson 1270.

    >8x10 inch for best quality at 2 feet viewing distance with adequate
    >lighting. Depending on the subject you may get away with more, but you'll
    >need a good interpolation software to enlarge and sharpen the file before
    >printing.
    >
    >Bart

    5x7 is the biggest I would go but it's all subjective.

    zbzbzb, Apr 22, 2004
  6. "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > 5x7 is the biggest I would go but it's all subjective.

    I agree, personally I wouldn't exceed 5x7 for a 4MP image, period.
    But then I also know I'm spoiled by the images from my 5400 ppi (39MP)
    scanner ;-)

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Dean Tran

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I agree, personally I wouldn't exceed 5x7 for a 4MP image, period.
    >But then I also know I'm spoiled by the images from my 5400 ppi (39MP)
    >scanner ;-)
    >
    >Bart

    Agreed. I have a 4000 dpi scanner and those 4 megapixel images I am getting
    from a Canon A80 do not even come close. Scanning though is about as fun as
    getting stranded out in the desert.

    zbzbzb, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Dean Tran

    Bud Guest

    "Dean Tran" <> wrote in message
    > what is the largest acceptable printout for a 4MB pixel digital camera
    > at 2 feet or more viewing distance if I record in (fine) uncompressed
    > TIFF mode w/o going too deep in tech detail? My printer is an older
    > epson 1270.

    I regularly print A4 prints from my 6MP S7000 camera, and as a trial did the
    same size from the 2MP Nikkon of the wifes. At 2 foot you can pick the 2MP
    as a digital print, but it's suprisingly better than I thought it would be.
    I'd say A4, or a little larger from your 4MP camera would be acceptable.

    Bud

    Bud, Apr 23, 2004