Sony DSC-R1 Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene F. Rhodes, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Gene F. Rhodes, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Gene F. Rhodes wrote:
    > Ordered Nov 15 from Amazon/Ritz, shipped Nov 16 and received Nov 17.
    > Just took pictures comparing size with my DSC-F700.
    > http://www.photoprojects.net/828r1.jpg
    > Gene

    WHAT? You've GOT one? So how is it?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Gene F. Rhodes

    Doug Robbins Guest

    Doug Robbins, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Gene F. Rhodes

    Clyde Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > Maybe you should read this and consider returning any Sony products.
    >
    > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Music_Copy_Protection.html
    >
    > Sony cares nothing for consumers, unleashing malware on their computers.
    >
    > "Gene F. Rhodes" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ordered Nov 15 from Amazon/Ritz, shipped Nov 16 and received Nov 17.
    >>Just took pictures comparing size with my DSC-F700.
    >>http://www.photoprojects.net/828r1.jpg
    >>Gene

    Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    have to do a lot more than that.

    I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their rights
    too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD into my
    computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy downloaded music only.

    However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    Clyde

    PS - All corporations do what is good for them, many of which will screw
    you.

    Clyde, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Gene F. Rhodes

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:42:28 -0600, Clyde <> wrote:

    >Doug Robbins wrote:
    >> Maybe you should read this and consider returning any Sony products.
    >>
    >> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Music_Copy_Protection.html
    >>
    >> Sony cares nothing for consumers, unleashing malware on their computers.
    >>
    >> "Gene F. Rhodes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Ordered Nov 15 from Amazon/Ritz, shipped Nov 16 and received Nov 17.
    >>>Just took pictures comparing size with my DSC-F700.
    >>>http://www.photoprojects.net/828r1.jpg
    >>>Gene
    >>>

    >Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    >you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    >you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    >upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    >have to do a lot more than that.
    >
    >I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    >bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their rights
    >too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD into my
    >computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy downloaded music only.
    >
    >However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    >R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    >stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.
    >
    >Clyde
    >
    >PS - All corporations do what is good for them, many of which will screw
    >you.

    You are quite right, that is why all this product loyalty is
    so much nonsense. What people regard as product loyalty
    is really nothing more than sensitivity over their judgement
    and choices.

    irwell, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Gene F. Rhodes

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    > Doug Robbins wrote:
    >> Maybe you should read this and consider returning any Sony products.
    >> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Music_Copy_Protection.html
    >> Sony cares nothing for consumers, unleashing malware on their computers.

    And the Sony/BMG malware used open source code without attribution!
    Contrary to license terms!!

    Clyde Nolastname wrote:
    > Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care?

    Yes, it's the same company.

    Bill Tuthill, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Gene F. Rhodes

    Rich Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:42:28 -0600, Clyde <> wrote:

    >Doug Robbins wrote:
    >> Maybe you should read this and consider returning any Sony products.
    >>
    >> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Music_Copy_Protection.html
    >>
    >> Sony cares nothing for consumers, unleashing malware on their computers.
    >>
    >> "Gene F. Rhodes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Ordered Nov 15 from Amazon/Ritz, shipped Nov 16 and received Nov 17.
    >>>Just took pictures comparing size with my DSC-F700.
    >>>http://www.photoprojects.net/828r1.jpg
    >>>Gene
    >>>

    >Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    >you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    >you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    >upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    >have to do a lot more than that.

    Of course not! If people stated en masse not buying Sony products,
    that wouldn't upset them at all! :)
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Clyde wrote:

    > Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    > you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    > you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    > upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    > have to do a lot more than that.
    >
    > I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    > bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their rights
    > too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD into my
    > computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy downloaded music
    > only.
    >
    > However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    > R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    > stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    I still want to know if this guy really got one. Anyone else seen them?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 20, 2005
  9. I'm still learning the new capabilities of my R1.
    On my site I'm showing what I have to do to use my Sunpak flash and my HGX1758
    tele adapter.
    Other things will be added as I work them out.
    http://www.photoprojects.net/sony.html
    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Nov 20, 2005
  10. Gene F. Rhodes wrote:
    > I'm still learning the new capabilities of my R1.
    > On my site I'm showing what I have to do to use my Sunpak flash and my HGX1758
    > tele adapter.
    > Other things will be added as I work them out.
    > http://www.photoprojects.net/sony.html
    > Gene

    OK, well, thanks - I guess you really do have one. Where did you get it?
    Amazon.com? Pretty good. Now let's see some results!

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 20, 2005
  11. Gene F. Rhodes

    Clyde Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Clyde wrote:
    >
    >> Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    >> you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    >> you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you)
    >> will upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony
    >> you'll have to do a lot more than that.
    >>
    >> I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    >> bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their
    >> rights too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD
    >> into my computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy
    >> downloaded music only.
    >>
    >> However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    >> R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    >> stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    > I still want to know if this guy really got one. Anyone else seen them?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Not yet. I want to hold and try one in my local camera store before I
    plunk down my money. They will have one any day now that I can touch.
    Then I'll buy.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Nov 20, 2005
  12. Gene F. Rhodes

    Clyde Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:
    >>Doug Robbins wrote:
    >>
    >>>Maybe you should read this and consider returning any Sony products.
    >>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Music_Copy_Protection.html
    >>>Sony cares nothing for consumers, unleashing malware on their computers.

    > And the Sony/BMG malware used open source code without attribution!
    > Contrary to license terms!!
    >
    > Clyde Nolastname wrote:
    >
    >>Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care?

    > Yes, it's the same company.

    Great. Everyone has to pick their own battles. For me it's silly to not
    buy the camera that is best for me to spite a global corporation that
    won't even notice if I don't buy.

    There are boycotts that do work. They require a significant portion of
    the customer base to be mad enough to take action against their own
    possible best interest. I would be shocked if 1% of Sony's customer base
    even knew about this problem. It's is a MUCH smaller percentage that
    cares enough to do anything about it.

    OK, it might be a tad higher percentage with the recent media coverage.
    It's still probably only single digits who care. Sony is much more
    concerned about the bad PR that any boycott by a handful of open content
    radicals.

    The other reason for not buying from Sony is your own convictions and
    ethics. If that is the reason, by all means do not buy from Sony - ever.
    I do hope you can consistently hold to your convictions for all
    companies. i.e. Do not buy from ANY company that ever does anything
    unethical. That will include a LOT of companies and a lot of your time
    to keep track of all of them. If your convictions are that strong, go
    for it.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Nov 20, 2005
  13. Bill Tuthill <> writes:

    > Clyde Nolastname wrote:
    >> Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care?

    > Yes, it's the same company.

    The camera and music divisions have little more than the Sony name in
    common. Whatever harm not buying Sony cameras might do them, will be
    isolated to the camera division, and the DRM makers won't even take
    notice.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 20, 2005
  14. =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <> writes:

    >The camera and music divisions have little more than the Sony name in
    >common. Whatever harm not buying Sony cameras might do them, will be
    >isolated to the camera division, and the DRM makers won't even take
    >notice.

    Unless enough people do this to affect sales of Sony hardware, and the
    management of the hardware group figures out that they're losing sales
    because of the idiots in Sony Music, and points this out to higher Sony
    management, then *maybe* the Sony Music people will get their hand
    slapped.

    The whole thing demonstrates such incompetence that the responsible
    people at Sony Music ought to be fired, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 20, 2005
  15. Gene F. Rhodes

    Rich Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:37:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <> wrote:

    >Clyde wrote:
    >
    >> Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    >> you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    >> you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    >> upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    >> have to do a lot more than that.
    >>
    >> I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    >> bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their rights
    >> too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD into my
    >> computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy downloaded music
    >> only.
    >>
    >> However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    >> R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    >> stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    >I still want to know if this guy really got one. Anyone else seen them?
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier

    Yes.
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 21, 2005
  16. Gene F. Rhodes

    Rich Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:54:19 +0000, Måns Rullgård <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Tuthill <> writes:
    >
    >> Clyde Nolastname wrote:
    >>> Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care?

    >> Yes, it's the same company.

    >The camera and music divisions have little more than the Sony name in
    >common. Whatever harm not buying Sony cameras might do them, will be
    >isolated to the camera division, and the DRM makers won't even take
    >notice.

    Is that going to be Sony's defense in court? Good luck.
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 21, 2005
  17. Clyde wrote:
    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >

    >> Clyde wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care?
    >>> Are you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is
    >>> bad? Do you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for
    >>> you) will upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight
    >>> Sony you'll have to do a lot more than that.
    >>>
    >>> I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    >>> bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their
    >>> rights too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD
    >>> into my computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy
    >>> downloaded music only.
    >>>
    >>> However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    >>> R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    >>> stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    >> I still want to know if this guy really got one. Anyone else seen them?
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier

    > Not yet. I want to hold and try one in my local camera store before I
    > plunk down my money. They will have one any day now that I can touch.
    > Then I'll buy.

    Which store?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 21, 2005
  18. Rich wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:37:04 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Clyde wrote:
    >>

    >>>Since that isn't an issue with a Sony digital camera, do you care? Are
    >>>you willing to shoot yourself in the foot because your hair is bad? Do
    >>>you think that not buying the R1 (if it's the best camera for you) will
    >>>upset Sony in any way? No, it won't. If you want to fight Sony you'll
    >>>have to do a lot more than that.
    >>>
    >>>I think that Sony's DRM system is underhanded, sneaky, anti-customer,
    >>>bad PR, and perfectly legal. They have a right to fight for their rights
    >>>too. I don't have to like it. So, I will not put any Sony CD into my
    >>>computers. OK, I don't buy CDs any more anyway; I buy downloaded music
    >>>only.
    >>>
    >>>However, I am for me. I will do what is best for me. So, I will buy a
    >>>R1, because it is the best camera for what I need to do. I won't let
    >>>stupid global corporation's actions get in the way of my needs.

    >>I still want to know if this guy really got one. Anyone else seen them?
    >>
    >>Gary Eickmeier

    > Yes.
    > -Rich

    Where ?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 21, 2005
  19. Rich <> writes:

    > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:54:19 +0000, Måns Rullgård <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Tuthill <> writes:

    >>> Yes, it's the same company.

    >>The camera and music divisions have little more than the Sony name in
    >>common. Whatever harm not buying Sony cameras might do them, will be
    >>isolated to the camera division, and the DRM makers won't even take
    >>notice.

    > Is that going to be Sony's defense in court? Good luck.

    Huh? You're not making sense.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 21, 2005
  20. Gene F. Rhodes

    Clyde Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <> writes:
    >

    >>The camera and music divisions have little more than the Sony name in
    >>common. Whatever harm not buying Sony cameras might do them, will be
    >>isolated to the camera division, and the DRM makers won't even take
    >>notice.

    > Unless enough people do this to affect sales of Sony hardware, and the
    > management of the hardware group figures out that they're losing sales
    > because of the idiots in Sony Music, and points this out to higher Sony
    > management, then *maybe* the Sony Music people will get their hand
    > slapped.
    >
    > The whole thing demonstrates such incompetence that the responsible
    > people at Sony Music ought to be fired, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    >
    > Dave

    How likely is any of that to happen? I'd bet that it is VERY unlikely.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Nov 21, 2005