Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - Possible or not ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by photoguy, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. photoguy

    photoguy Guest

    Hi there everyone !

    I did the simple (remote control) test to check whether my digicam can
    "see" Infrared and it passed the test with flying colours. However, when I
    try taking pictures (using a Hoya 25A (Red) Filter I do not seem to get
    any of the "surreal/other wordly" effects that are supposedly associated
    with IR pictures. Is this because Sony has deliberately "disabled" some
    portion of the light spectrum that the CCD can see, or is it because I am
    using the wrong filter - maybe I do need the Hoya R72 after all ?

    Interestingly, I happened upon a website (of some company) which modifies
    a bunch of cameras (Sony DSC-P93 being one of them) to be able to see
    below 330 nm and somewere above 1000nm. I guess they wouldn't be doing
    that for nothing, right ?

    Any thoughts/suggestions ? I was also thinking of returning the Sony and
    maybe going in for a Canon Powershot A80/85 or S50/60. Anyone tried any of
    these out for IR ?

    Thanks.
    photoguy, Jan 6, 2005

  2. photoguy

    Darrell Guest

    I can try at the store tommorrow, I have an 87C filter. Canons seem to use
    an IR block filter, so they are out.

    Darrell, Jan 7, 2005

  3. photoguy

    Guest

    Yes, you will need an R72 to get the weird foliage effects, etc - with
    a normal red filter about all you will see is darker skies and slightly
    cleaner skins.. The fact that the camera sees an IR remote !isn't! all
    that good an indication of how good it will be at real IR imaging. In
    fact if the camera doesn't have 'night-shot' capabilities (where the IR
    filter is swung out of the optical path), you will probably find
    IR-imaging frustrating (long exposure times, no view of actual image,
    difficulties with AF, etc)

    If a company is offering to 'enable' that cameras IR ability, then they
    presumably will remove the IR filter. That suggests the IR filter is
    permanently in place, and maybe your camera isn't the best choice for
    this usage (unless you are going to go ahead with exactly that
    process..).

    I've used Sony nightshot cameras for this, using an R72 and an ND4/ND8
    to reduce daylight IR levels down to a usable level, and it works well.
    , Jan 7, 2005
  4. photoguy

    photoguy Guest

    Re: Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - Possible o

    Thanks for your reply...and just a thing or two more ;

    1. Which Sony cameras have you used and got IR results, and did you
    absolutely have to use the Neutral Density filters (along with the R72) to
    get the desired results ? I thought Sony had disabled the IR features on
    all their cameras/camcorders because they were able to "see through"
    clothes.

    2. Did you know whether the Canon Powershot's (S50, A85/A95 specifically)
    are good at IR imaging ?

    3. Does the camera have to have a minimum shutter speed (such as 8 secs or
    15 secs) in order to be able to expose with a R72 and ND filter in front
    of the lens ?

    Later
    photoguy, Jan 7, 2005
  5. photoguy

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Re: Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - A85 does see IR.

    Canon A85. I just pointed the remote for the TV at the camera, took a
    picture and yes, it does see the IR beam from the remote.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 7, 2005
  6. photoguy

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Re: Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - A85 does see IR.

    When I look at the expanded histogram after close cropping of just the IR
    spot, it seems that the camera sees it as white, with some cyan fringing. ?

    Rudy Benner, Jan 7, 2005
  7. photoguy

    photoguy Guest

    Re: Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - A85 does s

    Well, as Chriz said in his reply...the remote test is not sufficient to
    indicate whether or not a camera can take IR photos. You also need to add
    a R72 filter in front of the lens and then take a picture of some (green)
    foliage to see whether you get the weird IR effects.

    On my Sony DSC-P93 I did see the "white dot" from a TV remote, but didn't
    get "real" IR pictures when I used a 25A (Red) filter and clicked some
    houses/evergreen trees thru my window.
    photoguy, Jan 7, 2005
  8. photoguy

    Guest

    Re: Sony (DSC-P93 specifically) and Infrared Photos - Possible o

    I've used both the F717 and F828 (lucky me!).

    1. Hmm. Would you believe I don't recall ever actually trying just
    using the ND's and shooting without the R72 in Nightshot!? Next time I
    play with the 828 (it's a work camera) I might try it out, but I'm
    pretty sure the IR effect would be virtually eliminated due to the
    lower sensitivity at those freq's, compared to ordinary light. Yes,
    Sony did disable Nightshot on their videos, largely because of media
    hype I think, although I think one particular model was VERY sensitive
    to IR. The ability to see though fabrics is very weak indeed... er..
    not that I've ever tried... (O: (thinks - I wonder if they still make
    those XRay glasses from old comics..?)

    2. Don't know.

    3. Both Sony's won't go quicker than 1/60 (?) in Nightshot mode, which
    is why you need the ND's as well as the R72. In daylight, the images
    are completely overexposed without the ND's, and you would run a high
    risk of damaging the CCD..

    Anyway, for daylit shots, hand-held shots are eminently possible, and
    in fact I got some of my best results on quite overcast days, no
    tripod...
    , Jan 8, 2005