Sony DSC-P92 shutter failure.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ian Smith, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    Hello there. This might be silly question time, so apologies in advance.

    I have a Sony DSC-P92 5 megapixel compact. It has done c.7600 photos in
    4 years, so has "high mileage" and collected a few nicks/bumps along the
    way. Now the mechanical shutter doesn't appear to open. The lens
    extends and opens its protective front cover ok. The LCD screen lights
    up with graphics and an autofocus rectangle appears searching for
    something to lock on to when the shutter button is pressed halfway. But
    the screen shows no live picture from the sensor. And looking in
    through the front lens reveals what looks like a closed shutter, where
    previously I could see right in to the inner optics.

    My guess is that the mechanical shutter has failed/jammed closed. Given
    that I've no intention of having the camera repaired professionally, as
    it doesn't seem worth it, and given that I don't mind dismantling the
    thing to try and fix (nothing to lose scenario); would it be sensible
    to remove the shutter or jam it open, if it has indeed failed? Would
    the camera still be able to take pictures using electronic shuttering
    only; albeit with reduced performance implications?

    Perhaps I should just buy a new camera. :) But thank you for taking
    the time to read this.

    Ian Smith, Dec 21, 2007

  2. Ian Smith

    John Turco Guest

    Ian Smith wrote:

    > Hello there. This might be silly question time, so apologies in advance.
    >
    > I have a Sony DSC-P92 5 megapixel compact. It has done c.7600 photos in
    > 4 years, so has "high mileage" and collected a few nicks/bumps along the
    > way. Now the mechanical shutter doesn't appear to open. The lens
    > extends and opens its protective front cover ok. The LCD screen lights
    > up with graphics and an autofocus rectangle appears searching for
    > something to lock on to when the shutter button is pressed halfway. But
    > the screen shows no live picture from the sensor. And looking in
    > through the front lens reveals what looks like a closed shutter, where
    > previously I could see right in to the inner optics.
    >
    > My guess is that the mechanical shutter has failed/jammed closed. Given
    > that I've no intention of having the camera repaired professionally, as
    > it doesn't seem worth it, and given that I don't mind dismantling the
    > thing to try and fix (nothing to lose scenario); would it be sensible
    > to remove the shutter or jam it open, if it has indeed failed? Would
    > the camera still be able to take pictures using electronic shuttering
    > only; albeit with reduced performance implications?

    Hello, Ian:

    Coincidentally, just a week or so ago, I, myself, obtained a Sony
    Cyber-shot DSC-P92. It was a display model (in near-mint condition),
    at a local retail store, bearing a very tempting clearance price tag
    of $29.99 USD.

    I've since tested the item and it passed with flying colors, no pun
    intended. However, my online research has revealed that the DSC-P92 is
    among a significant number of older Sony digicams and camcorders, which
    suffer from defective CCD image sensors.

    As a result, a 2005 class action lawsuit was filed against Sony, in the
    USA, and settled the following year. The company agreed to repair any
    affected devices, free of charge, until October 2, 2007.

    Of course, being a British subject, none of these particular legal
    issues apply to you, anyway. Still, if you'd care to learn further
    details on this subject, please go here:

    <http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?cmsId=legal_notice_full&hideHeaderFooter=false>

    > Perhaps I should just buy a new camera. :)

    That's always an option, of course. You could also trying selling
    your DSC-P92, on eBay <http://www.ebay.com>, where there's a thriving
    market for broken digicams. People are often seeking spare parts,
    necessary in repairing their own devices.

    > But thank you for taking the time to read this.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 25, 2007