Sony DSC F828 vs. DSC F848

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by -Gene-, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. -Gene-

    -Gene- Guest

    -Gene-, Oct 26, 2003

  2. -Gene-

    Bob Niland Guest

    > -Gene-<> wrote:

    > See PC Magazine article:

    Want to give us a clue?

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
    Bob Niland, Oct 26, 2003

  3. -Gene-

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Want to give us a clue?

    PC Mag's site seems to be deeply in the weeds.

    Yahoo has a cached copy of the article, which
    is a month old. I suspect Google does as well.
    And based on a search, it appears that this
    particular typo "F848" is getting widely cloned
    across the web.

    "Sony Looks to Reinvent Digital Photography
    By Sally Wiener Grotta
    September 24, 2003

    Product: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F848
    Price: $1,200 street
    Company Info: Sony Electronics Corp.,
    www.sonystyle.com
    The upcoming Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F848
    will employ a groundbreaking 8-megapixel
    CCD with an entirely new color system:
    red, green, blue, and emerald, instead
    of the traditional RGB CCD. Sony will
    pack this pro-level camera with a host
    of features, including a Carl Zeiss 28-
    to 280-mm lens, a new image processor,
    dual memory card slots (for Memory Stick
    as well as CompactFlash and MicroDrive
    media), five-area multipoint auto-focus,
    NightShot infrared shooting, and
    640-by-480 video recording at 30 frames
    per second."

    So, anyone care to guess what happened to
    DSC-F717 sales when Sony pre-announced the
    'F828 back in August?

    Bob Niland, Oct 26, 2003
  4. -Gene- <> wrote:

    >See PC Magazine article:
    >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1277762,00.asp

    Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

    Include file not found

    /article2/0,4149,1277762,00.asp, line 927

    The include file
    '/display_industry_brains/0,4302,c=Ziff+Davis+Tech+DM+%3E+Wireless+Run+of+Category,00.asp'
    was not found.

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 26, 2003
  5. -Gene-

    -Gene- Guest

    Sorry Bob, but this URL works for me in Netscape and IE.
    I found the PC Mag article with Google after reading the
    following post. (Jumped the gun I guess.)
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=null&message=6471533
    Gene

    -Gene-, Oct 26, 2003
  6. -Gene-

    Bob Niland Guest

    > -Gene-<> wrote:

    > I found the PC Mag article with Google
    > after reading the following post.
    > dpreview.com &message=6471533

    The PC Mag article "F848" appears to be
    merely a typo, because in all other
    respects the article describes the F828.

    The dpreview forum posting claims that
    Sony will not release the F828 due to
    problems, and that it will instead
    become the 11Mp F848 with a larger sensor,
    slightly longer zoom, and rigid front
    element (implied).

    While the F828 slip is real, and a
    cancel-and-replace is not out of the
    question, I don't find the dpr post to
    be credible for several reasons:

    1. "I called Sony to Japan and I asked them"
    Like Sony is going to reveal sensitive
    product plans to people who blab on
    internet forums.

    2. Sony HK has announced a 24 Nov release
    date for the F828. So a Sony site and an
    forum user contradict each other. I'd
    give the nod to the Sony site, but won't
    rule out that both are mistaken.

    3. I'd expect the F828 follow-on to be an
    F838 or F939, not an F848, based on the
    known sequence of F707 - F717 - F828.
    Hey, maybe they'll call it the "ImageK".
    That name's available :)

    Seen any independent confirmation of an F848,
    other than sites repeating the PCMag typo?

    We now return you to your regularly scheduled
    speculation about the continuing soap opera
    called the Sony DSC-F828.

    Bob Niland, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Bob Niland <> wrote:

    >The PC Mag article "F848" appears to be
    >merely a typo, because in all other
    >respects the article describes the F828.

    Bob,

    if it is a marketing gag, it certainly is a clever one. Now
    people write message after message, discussing whether it's the
    828 or the 848, 8x8, or whatever. After some time it will be the
    best-known digital camera ever, even before it actually appears,
    and people will have delayed their buying decisions in favor of
    that new mystery.

    Could Sony be that good at marketing?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 27, 2003
  8. -Gene-

    Bob Niland Guest

    >> Bob Niland <> wrote
    > Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    >> The PC Mag article "F848" appears to be
    >> merely a typo, because in all other
    >> respects the article describes the F828.

    > if it is a marketing gag, it certainly is
    > a clever one ... Could Sony be that good
    > at marketing?

    No. I expect that Sony is in a bit of a
    panic over the F828, and the roll-out has
    been nothing short of a marketing fiasco.

    As soon as they pre-announced it in August
    by putting a few protos into reviewer hands,
    they seriously deflated sales of the existing
    DSC-F717. (The pre-announcement also poured FUD
    onto sales of competing cameras, like the
    EOS-300D and *istD, which may have been more
    important. Once a digicam customer invests in
    detachable glass for a dSLR, they are never
    going back to a digicam.)

    Torpedoing the 'F717 wouldn't have been a
    problem if the 'F828 had gone out on time.
    My impression is that Sony had planned a
    late September or early October ship-release.
    That didn't happen, and it's still not clear
    when the '828 will appear. Rumors attributed
    to Sony itself range from 24 Nov to 15 Jan.

    If Sony doesn't get a clear availability
    statement out soon, and ramp-up volume,
    they will miss the holiday market. Obviously
    they won't sell any '828s, but also they
    won't sell any '717s - which is still a
    decent digicam in a world where there is no
    DSC-F828.

    And further, people like me who might go dSLR
    or digicam will get fed up wondering what's
    going on, and buy something that's actually
    shipping.

    Sony marketing - too clever by half.

    Bob Niland, Oct 27, 2003
  9. -Gene-

    Bob Niland Guest

    > ... it's still not clear when the '828 will
    > appear. Rumors attributed to Sony itself
    > range from 24 Nov to 15 Jan.

    Here's another:

    http://www.sony.com.hk/Electronics/pr_t/pr/22102003b_e.htm
    "The Cyber-shot F828 will be available