    the computer directly from the Memory Stick. The photo stored supposedly as
    RAW has an SRF designation and is a large file. Can someone please tell me
    what gives? I'm new at this and would like experiment a little. Thanks.
    Ed Mullikin, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Ed Mullikin

    Scott W Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > Page 80 of my owner's manual says that I can shoot in RAW mode. (When I set
    > the camera to do that, it also stores a jpg image as well.) Raw Shooter
    > essentials 2005 tells me that I have no RAW file when I try to load it into
    > the computer directly from the Memory Stick. The photo stored supposedly as
    > RAW has an SRF designation and is a large file. Can someone please tell me
    > what gives? I'm new at this and would like experiment a little. Thanks.

    The Sony RAW format is not widely supported, I don't know about raw
    shooter. I do know that Photoshop supports it as well as Photoshop
    elements 3 and above. There is also software that comes with the F828
    to do the conversion but it is pretty much worthless.

    Scott
    Scott W, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    Thank you! The manual on this aspect leaves much to be desired.

    Ed Mullikin, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Ed Mullikin

    Scott W Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > Thank you! The manual on this aspect leaves much to be desired.

    For what it is worth it is worthwhile learning to use RAW with the
    F828. I have found that the in camera processing really messes up some
    photos. The downside is that Sony is really bad at dealing with raw,
    there cameras are very slow when taking photos in raw mode and the raw
    files are close to twice the size of other cameras.

    Scott
    Scott W, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Ed Mullikin

    bmoag Guest

    As you have observed RAW images take forever to record and are full size,
    20mbs or so. I use this camera alot in raw and jpeg mode.
    Alas the Sony RAW format is not yet supported by Raw shooter in the free or
    premium form, I am not sure why.
    The Sony included converter is not full featured enough to justify shooting
    in raw.
    The Adobe raw converter works excellently with this camera.
    I encourage you to learn to use raw. However while dSLRs are useless without
    raw the 828 is not set up to use raw natively in the way that dSLRs are.
    One of the main advantages of shooting raw is to try to increase latitude.
    The Nikon D70 does this by purposeful underexposure as it is easier to pull
    detail out of slightly underexposed areas in post processing whereas
    overexposed areas have no useful picture info.
    The 828 is not set up in this way and simply dialing down the exposure does
    not seem to work as well: hence bracketing is called for. Now you are trying
    to take three or more exposures of the same subject with the 828 and each
    takes about a minute to record onto compact flash.
    Fortunately the 828 does a very good job of jpeg processing.
    bmoag, Feb 28, 2006
  6. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I really like the camera quite well and have had it in India and Africa a
    couple of times. I have just heard so much about RAW I thought that I'd
    like to experiment with a few RAW photos of sunsets over the sand dunes in
    India's Great Thar Desert. Thanks.

    Ed Mullikin, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Ed Mullikin

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > For what it is worth it is worthwhile learning to use RAW with the
    > F828. I have found that the in camera processing really messes up some
    > photos. The downside is that Sony is really bad at dealing with raw,
    > there cameras are very slow when taking photos in raw mode and the raw
    > files are close to twice the size of other cameras.

    The R1 has the same problem. And that's a shame, because otherwise it's
    a very interesting camera.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Ed Mullikin

    Jay Guest

    RAW is like film, keep your RAW pix and later find a suitable software to
    handle them.

    Jay.
    Jay, Mar 1, 2006