Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rossi, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    Howdy,

    My Sony 717 (about 2 1/2 years old) started behaving very weirdly
    yesterday. A couple weeks ago it was working perfectly and I took
    several photos, one of them in the link below:

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/msrossi1/General/DSC02901.jpg

    It has been stored in its protective pouch, no bangs, moisture, etc.
    and yesterday the photos were really bad as the sample below.

    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/msrossi1/General/DSC00009.jpg

    I tried several different settings, reseting the camera, etc. but
    nothing worked. Interestingly, the images in the LCD display and the
    viewfinder look perfect. Also, if I take mpeg movies it works fine.
    So it seems the CCD is fine. I don't know what else to check.

    Any advice of what else I could try would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    P.S. Could not make the links work automatically but if you cpoy and
    paste the images will display.
    Rossi, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Rossi

    Mark M Guest

    You say you're tried several different settings. Can you be a bit
    more specific? Do you get the same problem at all resolutions,
    in all modes (esp. manual) etc?

    Have you tried a new battery?

    Mark M, Apr 3, 2006

  3. Rossi

    Ozymandius Guest

    Have you tried a different memory stick or perhaps cleaning the contacts on
    the one you have??

    Ozymandius, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    I tried all settings. Full auto, aperture and speed priority, full
    manual and scenes. Forced overexposure and underexposure, night shot
    and night framing with very few variation on the results. Battey is
    fully charged.

    With or without flash, samething.

    Also went from lowest to highest res as well as TIFF format. No
    difference.

    Also tried a couple extra memory sticks. No difference.

    After all failed I tried reseting the camera. Still the same results.
    As a last resort I tried the movie mode. All three settings worked
    fine.

    Anything else I could try?
    Rossi, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Rossi

    Craig Guest

    "Rossi" <> wrote...

    >I tried all settings. Full auto, aperture and speed priority, full
    > manual and scenes. Forced overexposure and underexposure, night shot
    > and night framing with very few variation on the results. Battey is
    > fully charged.
    >
    > With or without flash, samething.
    >
    > Also went from lowest to highest res as well as TIFF format. No
    > difference.
    >
    > Also tried a couple extra memory sticks. No difference.
    >
    > After all failed I tried reseting the camera. Still the same results.
    > As a last resort I tried the movie mode. All three settings worked
    > fine.
    >
    > Anything else I could try?

    We see what you've tried. But what problem are you having?
    Craig, Apr 4, 2006
  6. Rossi

    Craig Guest

    Whoops, sorry. Re: Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

    "Craig" wrote...

    > "Rossi" <> wrote...
    >
    >>I tried all settings. Full auto, aperture and speed priority, full
    >> manual and scenes. Forced overexposure and underexposure, night shot
    >> and night framing with very few variation on the results. Battey is
    >> fully charged.
    >>
    >> With or without flash, samething.
    >>
    >> Also went from lowest to highest res as well as TIFF format. No
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Also tried a couple extra memory sticks. No difference.
    >>
    >> After all failed I tried reseting the camera. Still the same results.
    >> As a last resort I tried the movie mode. All three settings worked
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Anything else I could try?

    > We see what you've tried. But what problem are you having?

    Whoops--sorry. I missed your earlier posts and mistakenly thought this to be
    the original. I've now read the thread and have seen your images. Boy, given
    all that you've tried, I'd fear that a trip to the repair shop may be the
    only option short of getting rid of the camera. Please report back with
    whatever happens as I want to be prepared if my 717 fails this way.

    Craig
    Craig, Apr 4, 2006
  7. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    Re: Whoops, sorry. Re: Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

    You better be ready. I've been doing some research in the web and
    found several complaints about the 717 failing in the 2 1/2 and 3 years
    old range. What pisses me off is that the camera does not even have a
    scratch.
    Rossi, Apr 4, 2006
  8. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    Rossi, Apr 4, 2006
  9. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    Rossi, Apr 4, 2006
  10. Rossi

    Mark M Guest

    Mark M, Apr 4, 2006
  11. Rossi

    Rossi Guest

    Re: Whoops, sorry. Re: Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

    I filed the form in Sony's website requesting the free repair. Not
    planning to spend a dime to fix it. Even though I spent a small
    fortune for that camera a couple years ago its current value does not
    justify spending almost $200 to fix it. Better buying a new one,
    from a different brand of course. Problem is trying to find out which
    does not use a "cursed" Sony device. I'm so mad. I've been very
    careful with that camera and it does not even have a scratch but Sony
    planted a "timebomb" inside so no matter what I would do the camera was
    doomed the moment it left the production line. >:-(
    Rossi, Apr 4, 2006
  12. Rossi

    Craig Guest

    Re: Whoops, sorry. Re: Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

    "Rossi" <> wrote...

    >I filed the form in Sony's website requesting the free repair. Not
    > planning to spend a dime to fix it. Even though I spent a small
    > fortune for that camera a couple years ago its current value does not
    > justify spending almost $200 to fix it. Better buying a new one,
    > from a different brand of course. Problem is trying to find out which
    > does not use a "cursed" Sony device. I'm so mad. I've been very
    > careful with that camera and it does not even have a scratch but Sony
    > planted a "timebomb" inside so no matter what I would do the camera was
    > doomed the moment it left the production line. >:-(

    Hi again. As I look through the Sony advisories, it seems that your problem
    may not be the heat/humidity/CCD issue that others are seeing. Your image

    ( http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/msrossi1/General/DSC00009.jpg )

    of the faulty image file looks nothing like that shown by Sony and the
    advisory states that the issue is seen in the camera's LCD and eyepiece
    while you state that your only problem is with the image file itself, not
    the viewfinder scene.

    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=118&mdl=DSCF717

    Having paid as much as you for my F717, I understand your frustration, but I
    fear that it's likely that you won't be covered by the "recall" and will
    have to decide if it's worth paying for a repair or scrapping the camera.

    Even though I don't accept everything Consumer Reports says, I do like the
    results of their User Surveys--and from what I remember, Sony was/is the
    highest rated digital camera source with regards to fewest repairs needed.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

    Craig
    Craig, Apr 4, 2006
  13. Rossi

    Guest

    Re: Whoops, sorry. Re: Sony DSC 717 Problem, please help

    it is the model problem, you should get the repair for free from Sony.
    Friend of mind had the same situation as your camera but it is Nikon
    brand. Nikon fixed it for free. I got sony 717 too. I just love it.
    , Apr 4, 2006
  14. Rossi

    siliond Guest

    Hi Rossi

    I really feel for you. Interesting thing, I have the exact sam
    problem

    Did you find a solution

    Thank you
    Danie
    siliond, Apr 13, 2006
  15. Rossi

    talan Guest

    It appears this is a very big issue. I have the same thing (if I
    understand you correctly) in that the image looks overexposed and
    shows as such in the viewfinder and when downloaded to the
    computer.

    Please see http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html for
    examples of problem in which the 3rd picture looks to be the same
    problem as yours.

    There was a lawsuit and settlement in which Sony is to repair (do we
    like lawyers yet?).

    Here is the suit with all the information.

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...rt?page=/static/legalNotice/legalNotice#dates

    I hope mine is the covered problem because a $200 repair is not worth
    in on this camera.

    Good Luck

    Alan
    talan, Apr 17, 2006