    from 2.4x to 4x as well.
    -Rich

    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/firmware.htm#710

    RichA, Feb 28, 2005

  2. RichA

    Nonymous Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > According to a magazine,
    > one of these updates is supposed to increase the
    > burn rate of the DRU-710 for DVD-R from 4x to 8x.
    > Seems the engine in the thing is actually
    > under-gunned from the factory (Lite-on's factory,
    > that is). I think it increases the DL burn speed
    > from 2.4x to 4x as well.
    > -Rich
    >
    > http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/firmware.htm#710

    Yes, I downloaded this upgrade last month. Sony has done this before. I
    have both a DRU710 and an older DRU500 (their first multi-format burner,
    maxes out at 4X). They had released firmware for the 500 at one point that
    boosted it's burning speed for one or more of the formats from 2.4x to 4x.

    I've been burning a lot of bitorrented television shows to DVD for watching
    on the TV. Sadly, two of the three DVD players in my house don't seem to
    like any DVD that's burned at a speed higher than 4X. Which makes the
    higher speed capability of the 710 not all that useful for me.

    Nonymous, Mar 1, 2005