Sony DRM Rootkit

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo_outis, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    nemo_outis, Nov 1, 2005

  2. nemo_outis

    Anders Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:
    > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >
    > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    > rights.html
    >
    > Regards,

    Well I was trying youre link and come up a little short handed.
    Did the root-kit worked on Linux?

    The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

    Please try the following:

    * If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
    it is spelled correctly.
    * Open the www.sysinternals.com home page, and then look for links
    to the information you want.
    * Click the Back button to try another link.

    HTTP 404 - File not found
    Internet Information Services

    * More information:
    Microsoft Support

    Anders

    Anders, Nov 1, 2005

  3. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Anders <> wrote in news:JDP9f.37325$d5.193991
    @newsb.telia.net:

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>
    >> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >> rights.html
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>

    > Well I was trying youre link and come up a little short handed.
    > Did the root-kit worked on Linux?
    >
    > The page cannot be found
    > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    > changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    >
    > Please try the following:
    >
    > * If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
    > it is spelled correctly.
    > * Open the www.sysinternals.com home page, and then look for links
    > to the information you want.
    > * Click the Back button to try another link.
    >
    > HTTP 404 - File not found
    > Internet Information Services
    >
    > Technical Information (for support personnel)
    >
    > * More information:
    > Microsoft Support
    >
    > Anders

    The URL was split across lines and you may have reconstructed it
    incorrectly. For your convenience try the following instead:

    http://tinyurl.com/auyjl

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 1, 2005
  4. On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >
    > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    > rights.html
    >
    > Regards,

    I think the only thing shocking about this is that we haven't found all the
    others doing the same thing.
    --
    Drop the alphabet for email

    Ari Silversteinn, Nov 1, 2005
  5. nemo_outis

    Steve Welsh Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:
    > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >
    > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    > rights.html
    >
    > Regards,

    Would seem to me like a good case for some (several hundred) like minded
    people having the Sony crap destroy their (very expensive ;)) machines,
    and starting a class action.

    Time *we* started fighting back!

    I guess in the UK we could probably use the terms of the `Computer
    Misuse Act'

    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Nov 2, 2005
  6. nemo_outis

    Imhotep Guest

    Steve Welsh wrote:

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>
    >> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >> rights.html
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>

    > Would seem to me like a good case for some (several hundred) like minded
    > people having the Sony crap destroy their (very expensive ;)) machines,
    > and starting a class action.
    >
    > Time *we* started fighting back!
    >
    > I guess in the UK we could probably use the terms of the `Computer
    > Misuse Act'
    >
    > Steve

    Yes it is time to fight back because if you don't it will only get worse...

    Im

    Imhotep, Nov 2, 2005
  7. nemo_outis

    Imhotep Guest

    Ari Silversteinn wrote:

    > On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>
    >> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >> rights.html
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > I think the only thing shocking about this is that we haven't found all
    > the others doing the same thing.

    ....give it time...others will follow.

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Nov 2, 2005
  8. nemo_outis

    Winged Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:
    > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >
    > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    > rights.html
    >
    > Regards,

    I read this earlier today. I found it an excellent tutorial on running
    critters to ground. It is good work.

    The nested driver is an interesting trick, that has other applications.

    I question whether under the DCMA Sony can be prosecuted, even under
    California law as some of the blog commenters suggest. While Sony I
    believe may have avoided legal entanglements in the US due to clauses in
    the DCMA which overrides state law, it is morally contemptible.

    That said the measures can be bypassed easily and avoided if one is
    conscientious of the issue. I believe the lesson here is WinX users
    should turn off auto play, copying just the music files off original
    disk an burn them on a backup disk, then use the backup disk. I will
    consciously avoid Sony products, not only music, but for all Sony
    product lines, both business and personal,(Only wish I could do same for
    Microsoft).

    Sony is without honor.

    Company behaviors should always be considered before any purchase.

    This is not the first scum behavior I have seen with Sony. I had a VIAO
    desktop a few years back, where they had clipped the jumpers on the
    mobo, where the system could not easily be upgraded (I did, but required
    a soldering iron), though the motherboard was fully capable of the upgrade.

    While I am only one, it will be a cold day in a very warm place, before
    I knowingly purchase another of their products, irrespective of turn
    around in company policy. I suspect there will be a backlash to this
    behavior that Sony will reap, for many years to come.

    While I am not an activist, this is a very good reason to lobby
    legislators to roll back DCMA protections. Easy E-mail for US
    legislators of your state can be found here:

    http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html

    Winged

    Winged, Nov 2, 2005
  9. nemo_outis

    Imhotep Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:

    > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >
    > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    > rights.html
    >
    > Regards,

    I am deeply disturbed by this. The only way to fight this sort of bullshit
    is to spread the word to people as well as boycott any company that uses
    these sort of techniques...

    Personally, I refuse to purchase these CDs...it will never happen. I will
    pirate first...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Nov 2, 2005
  10. nemo_outis

    Imhotep Guest

    Winged wrote:

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>
    >> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >> rights.html
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>

    > I read this earlier today. I found it an excellent tutorial on running
    > critters to ground. It is good work.
    >
    > The nested driver is an interesting trick, that has other applications.
    >
    > I question whether under the DCMA Sony can be prosecuted, even under
    > California law as some of the blog commenters suggest. While Sony I
    > believe may have avoided legal entanglements in the US due to clauses in
    > the DCMA which overrides state law, it is morally contemptible.
    >
    > That said the measures can be bypassed easily and avoided if one is
    > conscientious of the issue. I believe the lesson here is WinX users
    > should turn off auto play, copying just the music files off original
    > disk an burn them on a backup disk, then use the backup disk. I will
    > consciously avoid Sony products, not only music, but for all Sony
    > product lines, both business and personal,(Only wish I could do same for
    > Microsoft).
    >
    > Sony is without honor.
    >
    > Company behaviors should always be considered before any purchase.
    >
    > This is not the first scum behavior I have seen with Sony. I had a VIAO
    > desktop a few years back, where they had clipped the jumpers on the
    > mobo, where the system could not easily be upgraded (I did, but required
    > a soldering iron), though the motherboard was fully capable of the
    > upgrade.
    >
    > While I am only one, it will be a cold day in a very warm place, before
    > I knowingly purchase another of their products, irrespective of turn
    > around in company policy. I suspect there will be a backlash to this
    > behavior that Sony will reap, for many years to come.
    >
    > While I am not an activist, this is a very good reason to lobby
    > legislators to roll back DCMA protections. Easy E-mail for US
    > legislators of your state can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html
    >
    > Winged

    Agreed. All people (expect me) at my company use Sony Viao laptops. I have
    already forwarded this article to my boss and I will actively pursue
    replacing Sony with another vendor. In short, they lost all of my respect
    and do not deserve my (or my companies) money...

    RIP Sony...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Nov 2, 2005
  11. nemo_outis

    Guest

    This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
    server at mercurio.mixmaster.it. If you do not want to receive
    anonymous messages, please contact

    -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
    Message-type: plaintext

    In <1sdn43rqbueup$.izwitrx95deb$> Ari Silversteinn <> wrote:
    >On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>
    >> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >> rights.html
    >>
    >> Regards,

    >I think the only thing shocking about this is that we haven't found all the
    >others doing the same thing.

    Those who use rootkits are the lowest scum ever to draw breath.

    -----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

    , Nov 2, 2005
  12. nemo_outis

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Winged wrote:
    > I will
    > consciously avoid Sony products, not only music, but for all Sony
    > product lines, both business and personal,(Only wish I could do same for
    > Microsoft).
    >
    > Sony is without honor.
    >
    > http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html
    >
    > Winged

    Totally agree, and so do many of my work colleagues - keep spreading the
    word

    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Nov 2, 2005
  13. Ray Vingnutte, Nov 3, 2005
  14. Ray Vingnutte, Nov 3, 2005
  15. nemo_outis

    traveler Guest

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 06:07:09 +0100 (CET), wrote:

    > This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
    > server at mercurio.mixmaster.it. If you do not want to receive
    > anonymous messages, please contact
    >
    > -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
    > Message-type: plaintext
    >
    > In <1sdn43rqbueup$.izwitrx95deb$> Ari Silversteinn <> wrote:
    >>On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
    >>>
    >>> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
    >>> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-
    >>> rights.html
    >>>
    >>> Regards,

    >>I think the only thing shocking about this is that we haven't found all the
    >>others doing the same thing.

    > Those who use rootkits are the lowest scum ever to draw breath.

    I feel the same way, there is a root kit removal utility in the general
    technology section of privacy.li's forums, I just downloaded it, here's the
    link if you want it,

    http://www.privacy.li/forum/

    traveler, Nov 4, 2005
  16. Privacy.LIE scamming you again!

    traveler wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 06:07:09 +0100 (CET), wrote:
    >
    >> This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
    >> server at mercurio.mixmaster.it. If you do not want to receive
    >> anonymous messages, please contact
    >>
    >> -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE----- Message-type: plaintext
    >>
    >> In <1sdn43rqbueup$.izwitrx95deb$> Ari Silversteinn
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I think the only thing shocking about this is that we haven't found all
    >>>the others doing the same thing.

    >> Those who use rootkits are the lowest scum ever to draw breath.

    > I feel the same way, there is a root kit removal utility in the general
    > technology section of privacy.li's forums, I just downloaded it, here's
    > the link if you want it,
    >
    > http://www.privacy.li/forum/

    Here's the REAL link:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/rootkitreveal.shtml

    What a DICK. Forcing people to search through a known logging service to
    get to a freely available security program on ANOTHER site. You have no
    shame and no morals. Is Privacy.LIE suffering so bad that you have to
    resort to this sort of BULLSHIT just to get more visitors to log?

    Some background:

    Adminus posting in the Dog House:

    "Hello, I am the owner of privacy.li. Today i saw some extra visitors, so
    i checked where they came from and arrived here."

    But privacy.LIE claims not to log! Over and over again on their web site
    in every forum their sock puppets visit the say NOTHING IS LOGGED. Then
    how would they see extra visitors and know where they came from?

    They ALSO demand a valid email address to access their file area with the
    promise that you will be sent a download link. When you hand over an
    address they send you an email that you HAVE to be a customer.

    SWINDLERS! What do they do with the email addresses they collect I wonder?

    >> -----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

    The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
    is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
    than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
    for abuse and hashcash info.

    Snake Charmer, Nov 4, 2005
  17. nemo_outis

    Adminus Guest

    Re: Privacy.LIE scamming you again!

    Well, you guys are really either stupid or someone pays you to spread
    this FUD.

    Can you imagine that privacy.li has a website at http://www.privacy.li,
    which of course uses traffic analysis of its WEB SURFING VISITORS, to
    see where they come from, what draws most interest, what key words are
    scoring high, etc. Any business out there which is not doing this basic
    analysis has no clue about what web visitors are interested in, and
    therefor could not better or enhance their service...

    However, this analysis is NOT matched with any individuals, but only in
    a generic and general summary.

    And to stretch your imagination a little bit further ->

    In contrast to mere web visitors stands the service we offer:

    We offer SSH2-accounts (Privacy-Tunnel) with full TOR entry points on
    our servers (TOR-servers running, usage optional) for privacy loving
    folks, and we DO NOT LOG ANY of the following:

    1. we do NOT log your surfing behaviour, like which sites you visit
    2. we do NOT log your email content
    3. we do NOT log your traffic as in how many bytes you transferred
    4. we do NOT log how many emails you sent or received
    5. we do NOT log your chats like those in IRC and other IM-clients
    6. we do NOT backup any of your data

    So, we have perfect deniability, if we ever would get asked to produce
    evidence about a client. What we don't know, we can not produce - it's
    that easy!

    Adminus

    Privacy.li - Being paranoid is a virtue, not a malfunction!
    www.privacy.li or www.privacy.org.cn Visit our forums at:
    www.privacy.li/forum
    Anonymous domains + offshore hosting, anonymous banking, Privacy-tunnel,
    market maker for digital gold currencies

    "Fiat currencies don't float. They just sink at different rates."
    Open your free e-gold account today here:
    https://www.e-gold.com/newacct/newaccount.asp?cid=385095

    Adminus, Nov 4, 2005
  18. nemo_outis

    traveler Guest

    Re: Privacy.LIE scamming you again!

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:35:38 -0400, Adminus <_not>
    wrote:

    >Well, you guys are really either stupid or someone pays you to spread
    >this FUD.
    >
    >Can you imagine that privacy.li has a website at http://www.privacy.li,
    >which of course uses traffic analysis of its WEB SURFING VISITORS, to
    >see where they come from, what draws most interest, what key words are
    >scoring high, etc. Any business out there which is not doing this basic
    >analysis has no clue about what web visitors are interested in, and
    >therefor could not better or enhance their service...
    >
    >However, this analysis is NOT matched with any individuals, but only in
    >a generic and general summary.
    >
    >And to stretch your imagination a little bit further ->
    >
    >In contrast to mere web visitors stands the service we offer:
    >
    >We offer SSH2-accounts (Privacy-Tunnel) with full TOR entry points on
    >our servers (TOR-servers running, usage optional) for privacy loving
    >folks, and we DO NOT LOG ANY of the following:
    >
    >1. we do NOT log your surfing behaviour, like which sites you visit
    >2. we do NOT log your email content
    >3. we do NOT log your traffic as in how many bytes you transferred
    >4. we do NOT log how many emails you sent or received
    >5. we do NOT log your chats like those in IRC and other IM-clients
    >6. we do NOT backup any of your data
    >
    >So, we have perfect deniability, if we ever would get asked to produce
    >evidence about a client. What we don't know, we can not produce - it's
    >that easy!
    >
    >Adminus

    >Privacy.li - Being paranoid is a virtue, not a malfunction!
    >www.privacy.li or www.privacy.org.cn Visit our forums at:
    >www.privacy.li/forum
    >Anonymous domains + offshore hosting, anonymous banking, Privacy-tunnel,
    >market maker for digital gold currencies
    >
    >"Fiat currencies don't float. They just sink at different rates."
    >Open your free e-gold account today here:
    >https://www.e-gold.com/newacct/newaccount.asp?cid=385095

    Don't feed the troll, this is the one that changed the content of some
    posts I made, then re- posted them here.

    >>>I feel the same way, there is a root kit removal utility in the general
    >>>technology section of privacy.li's forums, I just downloaded it, here's
    >>>the link if you want it,
    >>>
    >>>http://www.privacy.li/forum/

    >> Here's the REAL link:
    >>
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/rootkitreveal.shtml

    I would trust a product from F-Secure before some of the free sites
    out there, I read some of the free ones ARE actuall root kits.

    traveler, Nov 4, 2005
  19. nemo_outis

    traveler Guest

    Re: Privacy.LIE scamming you again!

    On 4 Nov 2005 15:17:44 -0000, Snake Charmer
    <> wrote:

    >traveler wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 06:07:09 +0100 (CET), wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
    >>> server at mercurio.mixmaster.it. If you do not want to receive
    >>> anonymous messages, please contact
    >>>
    >>> -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE----- Message-type: plaintext

    >>> Those who use rootkits are the lowest scum ever to draw breath.

    >> I feel the same way, there is a root kit removal utility in the general
    >> technology section of privacy.li's forums, I just downloaded it, here's
    >> the link if you want it,
    >>
    >> http://www.privacy.li/forum/

    >Here's the REAL link:
    >
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/rootkitreveal.shtml

    Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut it
    down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

    traveler, Nov 4, 2005
  20. nemo_outis

    Max Burke Guest

    Re: Privacy.LIE scamming you again!

    > traveler scribbled:

    >> On 4 Nov 2005 15:17:44 -0000, Snake Charmer
    >> Here's the REAL link:
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/rootkitreveal.shtml

    > Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut it
    > down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

    No it hasn't been shut down and it isn't a rootkit.

    It's here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Nov 4, 2005