    This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the camera.......it
    is like selling cars, that need to have the engine replaced every year.

    Never again.....
    JedMeister, Nov 28, 2003

  2. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:16:26 +1300, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old. Now,
    >the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    >
    >This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the camera.......it
    >is like selling cars, that need to have the engine replaced every year.
    >
    >Never again.....

    No they do not $133 and also can also use the FC11 battery.,.

    So get you facts correct next time..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 28, 2003

  3. JedMeister

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <JnExb.12494$>,
    says...
    > I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old. Now,
    > the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    >
    > This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the camera.......it
    > is like selling cars, that need to have the engine replaced every year.
    >
    > Never again.....

    The DSCP1 model using NP-FS11 battery was found to have a fault affecting
    the battery life. You should check with Sony to find out whether any
    other models using this battery were affected.

    I'm surprised to learn it costs that much for a battery.

    A battery should last much longer, complain to Consumer Affairs.
    Mainlander, Nov 28, 2003
  4. JedMeister

    KS Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old.
    > Now, the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    >
    > This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the
    > camera.......it is like selling cars, that need to have the engine
    > replaced every year.

    Seems a bit odd, but then that is the problem with propriatory batteries for
    cameras.

    Some brands use them some use - Sony, Nikon, Canon - and some don't - Fuji,
    Minolta - allowing more freedom for users to use AA batteries. Personally I
    prefer non-propriatory batteries, simply because if it runs flat or dies,
    it's cheaper and easier to refill.
    KS, Nov 28, 2003
  5. On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:02:31 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >I'm surprised to learn it costs that much for a battery.
    >
    >A battery should last much longer, complain to Consumer Affairs.

    Actually, lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries tend to last just
    12-18 months before needing replacment. It's just a fact of life so I
    doubt that Consumer Affairs would side with such a complaint.

    Bruce Simpson, Nov 28, 2003
  6. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    The fact is that this is the price quoted to me by a salesperson at one of
    the major Botany Downs electrical retailers. If he had quoted 133 I might
    have bought it.

    JedMeister, Nov 28, 2003
  7. "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > The fact is that this is the price quoted to me by a salesperson at one of
    > the major Botany Downs electrical retailers.

    You have stated the problem - a "major Botany Downs electrical retailer".

    Try somewhere like http://www.flashcards.co.nz/eshop/ if you would like a
    NP-FC10 battery for the more respectable price of $74 plus delivery.
    forensic analysis, Nov 28, 2003
  8. forensic analysis, Nov 28, 2003
  9. JedMeister

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bq7b0q$9ng$>,
    says...
    > JedMeister wrote:
    > > I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old.
    > > Now, the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    > >
    > > This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the
    > > camera.......it is like selling cars, that need to have the engine
    > > replaced every year.

    > Seems a bit odd, but then that is the problem with propriatory batteries for
    > cameras.
    >
    > Some brands use them some use - Sony, Nikon, Canon - and some don't - Fuji,
    > Minolta - allowing more freedom for users to use AA batteries. Personally I
    > prefer non-propriatory batteries, simply because if it runs flat or dies,
    > it's cheaper and easier to refill.

    NEver had a problem before with the Infolithium batteries, if it only
    lasts this long complain to consumer affairs.

    All the newer DSCP use AA batteries.
    Mainlander, Nov 29, 2003
  10. JedMeister

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:02:31 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm surprised to learn it costs that much for a battery.
    > >
    > >A battery should last much longer, complain to Consumer Affairs.

    > Actually, lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries tend to last just
    > 12-18 months before needing replacment. It's just a fact of life so I
    > doubt that Consumer Affairs would side with such a complaint.

    I've been using a camcorder with these batteries for several years. The
    batteries are still working well.

    If it lasts say 500 cycles, you would have to be using the camera a hell
    of a lot for the battery to last such a short time.
    Mainlander, Nov 29, 2003
  11. JedMeister

    MarkH Guest

    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote in news:MPG.1a32b38125c9705d98a255
    @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > In article <>,
    > ess says...
    >> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:02:31 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm surprised to learn it costs that much for a battery.
    >> >
    >> >A battery should last much longer, complain to Consumer Affairs.

    >> Actually, lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries tend to last just
    >> 12-18 months before needing replacment. It's just a fact of life so I
    >> doubt that Consumer Affairs would side with such a complaint.

    > I've been using a camcorder with these batteries for several years. The
    > batteries are still working well.
    >
    > If it lasts say 500 cycles, you would have to be using the camera a hell
    > of a lot for the battery to last such a short time.

    Lithium Ion batteries die after 2 or 3 years, even if they only go through
    50 cycles in that time.

    If someone tried to charge me $300 for a Lithium battery pack I would go
    home to think about it, and search on the internet to find out if that
    price was too high.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Nov 29, 2003
  12. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:16:26 +1300, JedMeister wrote:

    > I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old. Now,
    > the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    >
    > This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the camera.......

    It is something you did not ask about Yes? Cavert emptor, might not be
    spelt right, Latin saying, Let the buyer be ware.

    Still applies today. Read the buyer is trying to rip you off, start from
    there and move on towards a *possible* purchase. Remember this *always* .

    Lesson complete.

    Gordon, Nov 29, 2003
  13. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 06:05:11 +1300, Bruce Simpson wrote:

    > Actually, lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries tend to last just
    > 12-18 months before needing replacment.

    Trend not arrived here. ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 29, 2003
  14. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:03:26 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > I've been using a camcorder with these batteries for several years. The
    > batteries are still working well.
    >
    > If it lasts say 500 cycles, you would have to be using the camera a hell
    > of a lot for the battery to last such a short time.

    Let us cut to the chase here, how many pictures can one take with the
    *Sony* camera/battery. Read is it like many penis, undersized. ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 29, 2003
  15. JedMeister

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:03:26 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using a camcorder with these batteries for several years. The
    > > batteries are still working well.
    > >
    > > If it lasts say 500 cycles, you would have to be using the camera a hell
    > > of a lot for the battery to last such a short time.

    > Let us cut to the chase here, how many pictures can one take with the
    > *Sony* camera/battery. Read is it like many penis, undersized. ;-)

    It depends on various things, like whether the display is on or off,
    whether flash is used, etc.

    At times I have taken a couple of hundred pictures in daylight, another
    time using the flash I got maybe 60.
    Mainlander, Nov 29, 2003
  16. JedMeister

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:03:26 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using a camcorder with these batteries for several years. The
    > > batteries are still working well.
    > >
    > > If it lasts say 500 cycles, you would have to be using the camera a hell
    > > of a lot for the battery to last such a short time.

    > Let us cut to the chase here, how many pictures can one take with the
    > *Sony* camera/battery. Read is it like many penis, undersized. ;-)

    There are different sizes of battery depending on the camera model. The
    example I used in my other post was for a 11 Wh battery.
    Mainlander, Nov 29, 2003
  17. JedMeister

    steve Guest

    JedMeister allegedly said:

    > I have a dscp5 sony digital camera...it is a little over a year old. Now,
    > the battery is crapping out...and I find out they cost 300 bucks.
    >
    > This is something Sony did not advertise when i bought the camera.......it
    > is like selling cars, that need to have the engine replaced every year.
    >
    > Never again.....

    I always buy an extra battery anyway. Nothing more annoying than draining
    the battery and having to wait an hour or so to re-charge - if you are in a
    position to do so at all.

    If you buy a digital camera, always factor in the cost of that second
    battery. If not right away....very SOON.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 29, 2003