    photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    so can't accompany them to the store).

    Thanks.
    Angelcats, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Angelcats wrote:
    > I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
    > it.
    >
    > My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
    > problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
    > desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
    > ports.
    >
    > Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
    > photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    > so can't accompany them to the store).
    >
    > Thanks.

    http://tinyurl.com/26g2y

    or

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...ss&sz=10&pg=2/ref=s_e_np/103-5190811-2099048

    has some PCI USB card options from Amazon

    but USB software support is spotty on Win98 so even with the hardware it may
    not work.

    --
    Brian Sullivan
    Courses by Wire ( http://www.coursesbywire.com)
    Brian Sullivan, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Angelcats

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Angelcats" <> wrote in message
    > I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
    > it.
    >
    > My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
    > problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
    > desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
    > ports.
    >
    > Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
    > photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    > so can't accompany them to the store).

    Your best bet is probably to buy a USB card to install in the computer.
    They're cheap. There are parallel-port based card readers, but only for
    compact flash and smart media, I think, and they cost a lot more than a USB
    card.

    Mark
    Mark Weaver, Jun 10, 2004
  4. "Angelcats" <> wrote in message

    > I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
    > it.
    >
    > My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
    > problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
    > desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
    > ports.
    >
    > Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
    > photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    > so can't accompany them to the store).

    SONY PCMCIA Memory Stick(R) Reader MSACPC2 ($43) plus a Sony MSACPR1
    Outboard Serial Port Memory Stick Adaptor ($40). These are prices from
    Adorama, you can probably find these items for less somewhere. If they are
    running Windows 98 Second Edition, then they can add a USB port PCI card,
    but this may be too complicated for them.

    The easier solution is probably the Sony floppy disk to memory stick
    adaptor. Buy it on eBay and send it to them.
    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Angelcats

    Big Bill Guest

    On 10 Jun 2004 15:23:25 -0700, (Angelcats)
    wrote:

    >I think there's an easy answer to this, but I'm having trouble finding
    >it.
    >
    >My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
    >problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
    >desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
    >ports.
    >
    >Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
    >photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    >so can't accompany them to the store).
    >
    >Thanks.

    What OS is on the computer?
    If it's earlier than 98SE, then USB can be problematical.
    The solution may be a new computer, or (and this will be SLOW) a
    serial port reader for the card the camera uses.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Angelcats

    RJPalace Guest

    >>My [older] father bought my [older]mother a Sony DSC P3 camera; the
    >>problem is, they have an older model computer. It's a Compaq Presario
    >>desktop, running on Windows 98, and only has serial ports, no USB
    >>ports.

    >>Is there an adaptor they can purchase to enable them to upload their
    >>photos, and what specifically is that called (I don't live near them,
    >>so can't accompany them to the store)

    If you have an extra slot inside your computer, than you can install a USB
    controller card to do what you are asking. They are inexpensive and easy to
    install. You could go on E-bay and do a search and maybe get a bargain.
    Dick
    RJPalace, Jun 11, 2004
  7. "Brian Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...ss&sz=10&pg=2/ref=s_e_np/103-5190811-2099048

    > has some PCI USB card options from Amazon
    >

    > but USB software support is spotty on Win98 so even with the hardware it

    may
    > not work.

    USB works quite well with Win98. Support was spotty with Win95.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
    Dan Wojciechowski, Jun 28, 2004