    That's excellent!

    But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006

  2. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >
    > "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    > distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >
    > That's excellent!
    >
    > But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
    to mean a terrible UI.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Mutley Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:

    >"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >>
    >> "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    >> distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >>
    >> That's excellent!
    >>
    >> But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    >> forever.
    >> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    >> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    >>

    >awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
    >to mean a terrible UI.

    Why should it be?? I've seen some good linux GUIs

    I suspect that Sony's home entertainment and home electronics groups
    are having some infighting over the inclusion of DRM in the player and
    PS3..

    Mutley, Mar 16, 2006
  4. T'was the Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:49:51 +1300 when I remembered
    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> saying something like this:

    >awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
    >to mean a terrible UI.

    I doubt that. In the face of competition from the Xbox 360 which has a
    one year lead in terms of release date, to produce anything lesser
    would be pretty foolish.

    And don't forget Revolution in Japan, this may shake things up.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Hi there,

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >>
    >>"First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    >>distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >>
    >>That's excellent!
    >>
    >>But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

    > awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
    > to mean a terrible UI.

    I doubt it will be a Linux system in terms of what we currently see.
    Probably more like just enough of a system to control the device, and
    provide some media play/encode functions, all controlled from a custom
    Sony UI designed for the PS3 alone...

    Terrible UI huh? I could ask you to explain why you think that, but I
    suspect you're trolling...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Daniel Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >
    > "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    > distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >
    > That's excellent!
    >
    > But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Will be an interesting time for Sony.

    The XBox 360 is quite an outstanding piece of kit, and from what I've
    read it's GPU is superior (markedly) to the PS3 equivalent. The RSX has
    been tapped out for sometime, so I wouldn't expect any surprises when
    the VapourStation 3 eventually surfaces (personally, I won't be betting
    the house on a November release date).

    Microsoft have been losing money on the Xbox since it's inception, and
    they budget for that. They can do that, because they make billions on
    their other businesses.

    Sony, on the other hand, actually made money on their consoles (contrary
    to popular myth) - makes a big difference when you're effectively the
    sole manufacturer for all components. Unlike Microsoft, Sony's other
    businesses haven't been doing so well - AFAIK. So, I wonder if to some
    degree Sony's entertainment division has been propping them a wee bit
    (i.e Playstation)? - anyone please correct me on that one.
    So now it looks like Sony will be playing the very very dangerous game
    of losing money (a *lot* of money) to make money in the long term.

    This isn't exactly the same situation as Dreamcast IMO (Sega sold too
    many at a loss to recover), since the Playstation already has a very
    respectable pedigree, and being able to play older PS1 and PS2 games is
    a very attractive feature (a shame the 360 isn't backward compatible).

    Personally, I think Sony have already made a number of errors with the
    PS3. Arrogance? - who knows.
    However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
    the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
    early rounds in this war.

    Daniel, Mar 16, 2006
  7. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:19:53 +1300, Daniel wrote:

    > However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
    > the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
    > early rounds in this war.

    How can you say that Micro$oft is winning "the early rounds in this war"
    when Micro$oft was an extremely late entrant in the games console market?

    The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
    a customized version of M$ Windoze.

    If Micro$oft had to sell the xbox at a price where it wasn't loosing
    money on it, instead of selling it as a loss-leader, then the xbox would
    be considerably more expensive.

    Instead, Micro$oft can use resources gained through being a monopolistic
    bully in one market to stomp all over the players in the games console
    market.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 16, 2006
  8. T'was the Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:20:24 +1300 when I remembered Have A
    Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:

    >The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
    >a customized version of M$ Windoze.

    Try comparing the Xbox 360 with the Playstation 3.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 16, 2006
  9. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:36:18 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:20:24 +1300 when I remembered Have A
    > Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
    >>a customized version of M$ Windoze.

    > Try comparing the Xbox 360 with the Playstation 3.

    Why? I don't use those toys.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 17, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Daniel Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:19:53 +1300, Daniel wrote:
    >

    >>However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
    >>the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
    >>early rounds in this war.

    > How can you say that Micro$oft is winning "the early rounds in this war"
    > when Micro$oft was an extremely late entrant in the games console market?

    Apologies. I meant the rounds of the next/current-gen consoles - that
    war (360 vs PS3) - although, I have a sneaking suspicion that you knew
    that implication anyhow.

    I think Sony have already won the PS2 vs Xbox war (which is still running).

    Daniel, Mar 17, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Daniel Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:20:24 +1300 when I remembered Have A
    > Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:
    >

    >>The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
    >>a customized version of M$ Windoze.

    > Try comparing the Xbox 360 with the Playstation 3.

    Exactly.

    Actually available console VS Vapourware.

    Daniel, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    shannon Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >>>
    >>> "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    >>> distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >>>
    >>> That's excellent!
    >>>
    >>> But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

    >> awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux -
    >> guaranteed to mean a terrible UI.

    > I doubt it will be a Linux system in terms of what we currently see.
    > Probably more like just enough of a system to control the device, and
    > provide some media play/encode functions, all controlled from a custom
    > Sony UI designed for the PS3 alone...
    >
    > Terrible UI huh? I could ask you to explain why you think that, but I
    > suspect you're trolling...

    I read it as that there will be a linux distro installed that you can
    boot into, not necessarily that it will be the primary interface of the
    game playing system, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be a
    standard distro.
    It wouldn't have Windows, with good reason, because that would severely
    limit its performance to that of an Xbox.

    shannon, Mar 17, 2006
  13. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:22:15 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > It wouldn't have Windows, with good reason, because that would severely
    > limit its performance to that of an Xbox.

    Not to mention making it much more expensive.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 17, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:19:53 +1300, Daniel wrote:
    >>

    >>>However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for the
    >>>sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the early
    >>>rounds in this war.

    >> How can you say that Micro$oft is winning "the early rounds in this war"
    >> when Micro$oft was an extremely late entrant in the games console market?
    >>

    > Apologies. I meant the rounds of the next/current-gen consoles - that war
    > (360 vs PS3) - although, I have a sneaking suspicion that you knew that
    > implication anyhow.
    >
    > I think Sony have already won the PS2 vs Xbox war (which is still
    > running).

    What war?

    Sony is doing well enough with or without the Xbox being around as well.

    The 360 Xbox would be competing against sales of the Xbox of the last 2
    years. After just getting an Xbox last year or so not many parents are
    going to buy little Johnny yet another new Xbox that costs over twice as
    much more. And they're be telling Johnny that he will only want another new
    console a year later after that anyway.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 17, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:40:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >The 360 Xbox would be competing against sales of the Xbox of the last 2
    >years. After just getting an Xbox last year or so not many parents are
    >going to buy little Johnny yet another new Xbox that costs over twice as
    >much more. And they're be telling Johnny that he will only want another new
    >console a year later after that anyway.

    You're thinking of the wrong target audience for these things then. Sure kids
    like them, but that's not where the big market (and money) is. They're usually
    aimed at males 18-34 and they don't have to ask mummy for a new xbox, they just
    go out and buy it.

    Craig Shore, Mar 17, 2006
  16. Hi there,

    shannon wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux -
    >>> guaranteed to mean a terrible UI.

    >> I doubt it will be a Linux system in terms of what we currently see.
    >> Probably more like just enough of a system to control the device, and
    >> provide some media play/encode functions, all controlled from a custom
    >> Sony UI designed for the PS3 alone...
    >>
    >> Terrible UI huh? I could ask you to explain why you think that, but I
    >> suspect you're trolling...

    > I read it as that there will be a linux distro installed that you can
    > boot into, not necessarily that it will be the primary interface of the
    > game playing system, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be a
    > standard distro.

    That would be interesting, but until I see it I'll remain a
    bit sceptical...

    > It wouldn't have Windows, with good reason, because that would severely
    > limit its performance to that of an Xbox.

    As I see it...

    1. Porting Windows to Cell would not be trivial.
    2. Sony and MS are rivals. Why the hell would Sony
    want MS products anywhere near their console?

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 17, 2006
  17. Hi there,

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:40:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The 360 Xbox would be competing against sales of the Xbox of the last 2
    >>years. After just getting an Xbox last year or so not many parents are
    >>going to buy little Johnny yet another new Xbox that costs over twice as
    >>much more. And they're be telling Johnny that he will only want another new
    >>console a year later after that anyway.

    > You're thinking of the wrong target audience for these things then. Sure kids
    > like them, but that's not where the big market (and money) is. They're usually
    > aimed at males 18-34 and they don't have to ask mummy for a new xbox, they just
    > go out and buy it.

    I agree. Single males, with no kids, generally pasty faced pimply
    looking ones who haven't had sunlight on their skin for a decade
    due to an indulgence in console gaming...many of them have got
    PS2 *and* XBox, and will likely get XBox 360 *and* PS3, just to
    add brownie scoring points on the 'I've got every console ever
    designed' list... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 17, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:54:31 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:40:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The 360 Xbox would be competing against sales of the Xbox of the last 2
    >>>years. After just getting an Xbox last year or so not many parents are
    >>>going to buy little Johnny yet another new Xbox that costs over twice as
    >>>much more. And they're be telling Johnny that he will only want another new
    >>>console a year later after that anyway.

    >> You're thinking of the wrong target audience for these things then. Sure kids
    >> like them, but that's not where the big market (and money) is. They're usually
    >> aimed at males 18-34 and they don't have to ask mummy for a new xbox, they just
    >> go out and buy it.

    >I agree. Single males, with no kids, generally pasty faced pimply
    >looking ones who haven't had sunlight on their skin for a decade
    >due to an indulgence in console gaming..

    You guys need to get out more, you've been watching too many Xtra Broadband adds
    on TV.

    :)

    Craig Shore, Mar 17, 2006
  19. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:14:00 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:54:31 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> You're thinking of the wrong target audience for these things then. Sure kids
    >>> like them, but that's not where the big market (and money) is. They're usually
    >>> aimed at males 18-34 and they don't have to ask mummy for a new xbox, they just
    >>> go out and buy it.

    >>I agree. Single males, with no kids, generally pasty faced pimply
    >>looking ones who haven't had sunlight on their skin for a decade
    >>due to an indulgence in console gaming..

    >You guys need to get out more, you've been watching too many Xtra Broadband adds
    >on TV.
    >
    >:)

    Agreed - gaming (mainly console - not PC) has become mainstream now.

    A bit like when I when to uni in the early 90's, computer science was
    for the geeks and management was for the cool students. Nowdays
    computer science is almost as mainstream as management (with the odd
    exception).

    A, Mar 17, 2006
  20. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/news/200603151116.shtml
    >
    > "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
    > distribution of Linux preinstalled."
    >
    > That's excellent!
    >
    > But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

    Get used to it all socialist thieves can't steal ebverthing they want

    RJ, Mar 18, 2006