Sony declares the flipping mirror obsolete

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 27, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >http://translate.google.com/transla...y-alpha-slt-espejo-translucido,1_7341&act=url

    Or try this shorter link:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/6kd4rxe

    Quote from the above linked site:

    Zaragoza / Barcelona. Iker Morán .- "In our range Alpha the future is
    to replace the mechanical electronics." While this statement is
    already sufficiently enlightening road map prepared by Sony for its
    range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were), company officials have
    confirmed to QUESABESDE.COM that all future releases in this showcase
    will take the technology translucent mirror and seen in the A55V and
    A33.

    This makes sense, because Alpha DSLRs no longer sell. They are almost
    impossible to shift even at deeply discounted prices. I have had to
    sell several dozen brand new Alpha DSLRs on eBay as "refurbished" with
    a 0.99 start price because we just *cannot* sell them in the shops, no
    matter how hard we try.

    The A33 and A55 sold reasonably well because they were new. The A77
    will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor. But
    the market for the A33 and A55 is drying up, with sales already down,
    and I can see the A77 going the same way within months of being
    introduced. Full frame is dead and buried.

    Meanwhile, NEX is a huge success and the system is crying out for
    better lenses and a prosumer body to help keen amateurs get the best
    out of Sony's excellent new sensors.
    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >Bruce wrote:
    >> Sony('s)...
    >> range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were)

    >What does SLT stand for, single lens translucent?

    Yes, I think so. I hate the darn things. ;-)

    >It might fly but ack, darker viewfinder, darker sensor... I understand
    >there will be a mirror lockup mode for special cases but it seems a
    >shame to compromise the performance of their entire line of cameras. I
    >also understand how that helps with video and it looks like Nikon will
    >come out with similar but I really don't like the idea taking over
    >everything.
    >
    >Hmm, one reason they'd choose this route is there's no need to develop a
    >new line of short mount lenses. This applies to Nikon more than Sony
    >since they've got the NEX system now.

    Nikon's mirrorless system will have its own range of newly developed
    lenses. The announcement isn't very far away ...
    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Bruce says...
    >> The A77
    >> will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

    >25MP on a crop size sensor?

    I find it strange to see you reply to one of my postings, Alfred. You
    seem capable of ignoring me for long periods of time when it suits
    you.

    Well, now it suits me to ignore you. ;-)
    Bruce, Feb 27, 2011
  5. RichA

    Peabody Guest

    Alan Browne says...

    > OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or
    > 2/3 of a stop (I don't recall which). It's not much -
    > certainly less than the improved noise characteristics
    > of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil to
    > dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).

    So brightness in the viewfinder isn't compromised by this
    system? Well if it doesn't degrade the viewfinder image,
    and it doesn't compromise sensor performance, then it's just
    like magic, isn't it? The light is shared, but nobody
    notices.
    Peabody, Feb 27, 2011
  6. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 28/02/2011 10:27 AM, Peabody wrote:
    > Alan Browne says...
    >
    > > OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or
    > > 2/3 of a stop (I don't recall which). It's not much -
    > > certainly less than the improved noise characteristics
    > > of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil to
    > > dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).

    > So brightness in the viewfinder isn't compromised by this
    > system? Well if it doesn't degrade the viewfinder image,
    > and it doesn't compromise sensor performance, then it's just
    > like magic, isn't it? The light is shared, but nobody
    > notices.

    I'm not sure which camera you're specifically writing about, but the new
    Sony SLT cameras don't have an optical viewfinder.
    The SLT cameras have an EVF instead.
    The pellicle mirror doesn't form part of the viewfinder (as it does in
    the Canon Pellix), instead it reflects part of the image (that's where
    the 1/3 to 1/2 stop goes from in Allan Browne's post above) up into the
    AF sensor modules.
    dj_nme, Feb 28, 2011
  7. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 27, 3:21 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2011.02.27 14:25 , Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    > > Bruce wrote:
    > >> Sony('s)...
    > >> range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were)

    > > What does SLT stand for, single lens translucent?

    > > It might fly but ack, darker viewfinder, darker sensor... I understand
    > > there will be a mirror lockup mode for special cases but it seems a
    > > shame to compromise the performance of their entire line of cameras. I
    > > also understand how that helps with video and it looks like Nikon will
    > > come out with similar but I really don't like the idea taking over
    > > everything.

    > I'm not crazy about it either.
    >
    > OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop (I
    > don't recall which).  It's not much - certainly less than the improved
    > noise characteristics of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil
    > to dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).
    >
    > --
    > gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

    Dilated pupils are less acute when it comes to resolving things.
    Rich, Feb 28, 2011
  8. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 27, 4:59 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Bruce says...
    >
    > > The A77
    > > will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

    > 25MP on a crop size sensor?
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    If you can live with 12-16MP on micro 4/3rds, up to 25 and beyond on a
    1.5 crop should be fine.
    Rich, Feb 28, 2011
  9. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > > Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > >> In article <>, Bruce says...
    > >> The A77 will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

    > > 25MP on a crop size sensor?

    > I find it strange to see you reply to one of my postings, Alfred. You
    > seem capable of ignoring me for long periods of time when it suits you.
    >
    > Well, now it suits me to ignore you. ;-)

    "Bruce" is accusing somebody >else< of "ignoring" >him<, eh?

    Oh, the irony of it all!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>