    personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT opinions
    pls :) )

    Cheers

    XPD, Sep 24, 2003

  2. On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:52:18 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?
    >
    >Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam

    My brother has one, XPD, and it's great for both daytime videoing and
    also has night-shot mode for night. Decent zoom and definitely better
    picture than our ol' analogue Video8 one.

    HOWEVER, I can't for the life of me make it work with ANY of my
    computers using Firewire. It's like the bloody thing doesn't exist.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Sep 24, 2003

  3. XPD

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?
    >
    > Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam
    >
    > Im looking at getting one in next couple months but would like to hear some
    > personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT opinions
    > pls :) )

    I have used the higher end model TRV355E in the same series.

    Sony is the only manufacturer of Digital8 equipment. It exists purely to
    capture the existing 8mm market, as Sony also makes MiniDV equipment.

    If you are new to the world of video you should be looking at MiniDV. In
    the last two years, Sony has made inroads into their own Digital8 range
    with MiniDV models. Last year they dropped the high end TRV740 Digital8
    model, replacing it with a low end MiniDV model. This year they
    superseded the Digital8 TRV250 with the MiniDV TRV19.

    The attraction of the TRV147 is its low price, however the main reason
    you would buy a Digital8 model is if you have existing Video8 / Hi8 tapes
    that you want to play back. And the TRV147 won't play them. The only
    other Digital8 model in the range, the TRV355, will.

    If you can afford the extra $200 - 300 then I recommend the TRV19E MiniDV
    model which has a higher resolution CCD and a higher quality Carl Zeiss
    lens.

    Mainlander, Sep 24, 2003
  4. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:52:18 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >
    > > (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT opinions
    > > pls :) )

    > Care to elaborate further.

    Heh... dont want "Woger" posts :)
    ie: "oh thats crap because this site says so"

    Prefer to hear from people who have actually used them :)

    Not the other "personal" experiences ;)

    XPD, Sep 24, 2003
  5. > Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?

    > Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam
    >
    > Im looking at getting one in next couple months but would like to hear some
    > personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT opinions
    > pls :) )

    I looked at getting one digital-8 cam, but compared with a simalarly priced
    panasonic it felt like a kids toy, the tape mechanics also were quite noisy, I
    dont know how much would have come up in the audio on the tape as I was playing
    with it in a shop and didnt really have time to mess around.

    Also the tape transort seemed a bit slower to respond then the panasonic mini dv.

    This years ones may be better tho.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 24, 2003
  6. XPD

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?
    >
    > Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam
    >
    > Im looking at getting one in next couple months but would like to hear

    some
    > personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT

    opinions
    > pls :) )
    >
    > Cheers

    820E with built in printer here. Now then, on paper there are some pretty
    impressive specs around among the latest video gadgets. As far as the TV
    goes, a Digital 8 gives a damn good picture. It would be fair to say that
    one would need a damn good high resolution TV to clearly notice much
    difference in the quality these days. Sony's steadyshot also does a great
    job

    Would you be disappointed if you bought it?
    Most probably not.

    Should you buy it?
    That's entirely up to you to decide, it really makes no difference if you
    get it or not. Whatever you get, you'll get the best deal by looking around
    and being patient.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 24, 2003
  7. XPD

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bkruht$t27$>, says...
    > > Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?
    > >
    > > Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam
    > >
    > > Im looking at getting one in next couple months but would like to hear some
    > > personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT opinions
    > > pls :) )

    > I looked at getting one digital-8 cam, but compared with a simalarly priced
    > panasonic it felt like a kids toy, the tape mechanics also were quite noisy, I
    > dont know how much would have come up in the audio on the tape as I was playing
    > with it in a shop and didnt really have time to mess around.
    >
    > Also the tape transort seemed a bit slower to respond then the panasonic mini dv.
    >
    > This years ones may be better tho.

    The review in Consumer put all the higher priced Sony MiniDV models in
    the top slots.

    The touch screens on Sony MiniDV models are a love/hate thing for some
    people. They replace the menu, and whereas you could set the menu without
    taking your eye off the viewfinder, now you have to open the screen to
    change a setting.

    Mainlander, Sep 24, 2003
  8. XPD

    Paul Guest

    I take it the drivers for firewire
    are installed? And is the firewire onboard?
    or on a PCI card?

    Either way, the drivers would be on
    the CD that came with the card or mobo.

    Also what v of Windows, have u got?

    And does the firewire OHCI? entry appear
    in Device Manager?

    If u have XP, I think u need SP1.

    I dont use a Sony. I use a Panasonic
    with firewire. Works great. And easy
    to play/edit thru software. re: Video Editing.

    Once it is detected the good thing, it shows
    as a camera in Windows Explorer thru XP.

    So, u can take snapshots of whatever as well.

    Paul, Sep 28, 2003
  9. On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:54 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:

    >I take it the drivers for firewire
    >are installed? And is the firewire onboard?
    >or on a PCI card?

    I have two computers with firewire that I have attempted to use with
    this camera.

    One is a Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394 with onboard firewire;
    the other has a PCI firewire card from DSE.

    At the time of trials, one ran Windows 98SE, the other XP.

    >And does the firewire OHCI? entry appear
    >in Device Manager?

    It does. Connecting a Canon DV camera with the same firewire port
    automatically detects "Canon DV Camera" and works, firing up Windows
    Movie Maker for DV input.

    Think the problem is just the Sony camera.

    Kristofer Clayton, Sep 28, 2003
  10. XPD

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bks1j5$1b9$>,
    says...

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with this model camera ?
    > >
    > > Sony DCRTRV147E Digital 8 Handycam
    > >
    > > Im looking at getting one in next couple months but would like to hear

    > some
    > > personal experiences with them first.... (personal EXPERIENCE, NOT

    > opinions
    > > pls :) )
    > >
    > > Cheers

    > 820E with built in printer here. Now then, on paper there are some pretty
    > impressive specs around among the latest video gadgets. As far as the TV
    > goes, a Digital 8 gives a damn good picture. It would be fair to say that
    > one would need a damn good high resolution TV to clearly notice much
    > difference in the quality these days. Sony's steadyshot also does a great
    > job

    The quality is pretty obvious when you copy to VHS, a VHS-VHS copy would
    be way down by comparison.

    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003
  11. XPD

    Gene Guest

    <snips>
    Output on Sony set to DV output or even I/O? Found one of them did'nt do
    nada till I found this setting in the menu and turned the DV I/O to on.

    Gene, Sep 29, 2003