    Thanks

    Jim

    , Mar 7, 2007

  2. Soundblaster Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
    > appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
    >
    > The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
    > better option for quality?
    >
    > My DVD recorder has i-link and firewire input ports.
    >
    > - Sony DCR-TRV265E Digital Camcorder
    >
    > 1st post......woo hoo.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim

    The firewire connection is a pure unadulterated digital connection.
    But I don't know of any TV with firewire.
    Assuming your PC is equipped with a firewire port, you can capture
    footage to PC with Windows Movie Maker and edit and burn DVD's
    if your PC has a burner?
    You haven't specified how you are connecting to your TV etc, accept
    to say via AV leads? Thats an analog connection.
    I suggest you connect by firewire to your DVD recorder, which is
    in turn connected to your TV.
    Your Sony camcorder will have a menu for configuring outputs
    this is fully detailed in the instruction manual.
    Buy a firewire interconnect and read the instruction manual and
    experiment with connections etc.

    Soundblaster, Mar 7, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
    > appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
    >
    > The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
    > better option for quality?

    This may be stating the obvious, but you do know that a small LCD
    monitor by its nature will appear sharper than a large television? Add
    to that different TVs are adjusted differently giving differing
    appearances. And finally Digital 8 cameras do not shoot HD video, more
    like SD DVD quality video, so your expectations may be a little high.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Soundblaster Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> The picture quality on the LCD of my camcorder is sharper than what
    >> appears on the TV when hooked up. Has anyone else noticed this?
    >>
    >> The camcorder is connected to my TV using AV leads. Is a firewire a
    >> better option for quality?

    > This may be stating the obvious, but you do know that a small LCD monitor
    > by its nature will appear sharper than a large television? Add to that
    > different TVs are adjusted differently giving differing appearances. And
    > finally Digital 8 cameras do not shoot HD video, more like SD DVD quality
    > video, so your expectations may be a little high.

    I think the OP just hasn't tried the firewire option to his DVD recorder
    nor to PC, in fact Sony instruction manuals cover all these options and
    all that is required is for the OP to read the instructions and try the
    differing options. There could also be the possibility OP is recording
    in Long Play which of course reduces quality of footage....

    Soundblaster, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Soundblaster wrote:

    > I think the OP just hasn't tried the firewire option to his DVD recorder
    > nor to PC, in fact Sony instruction manuals cover all these options and
    > all that is required is for the OP to read the instructions and try the
    > differing options.

    I've used quite a few combinations of digital and analog sources hooked
    up with digital and analog cables, never really noticed THAT much
    difference in picture quality. It takes a critical eye to tell which is
    being used just by looking at the TV

    > There could also be the possibility OP is recording
    > in Long Play which of course reduces quality of footage....

    Not true. Recording in long play using a *digital* camcorder does not
    reduce picture quality, it merely reduces the size of the diagonal
    stripe that it's recording to on the tape and moving the tape a little
    slower. The amount of data recorded per second and the picture quality
    remain unchanged.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Guest

    Thanks Roger and Soundblaster. My DVD recorder is a Philips DVDR3380
    DVD Recorder and has a Firewire IEEE-1394 Interface.

    TV is connected to DVD recorder via scart lead.
    Camcorder is connected to TV via AV leads.

    I dont have a PC, just a laptop from work which is lets say
    'lockdown'.

    I am recording in LP as it happens.

    My camcorder and DVD recorder can be connected by firewire so I'll try
    this and let you know how I get on. I skimmed the instuction manual
    for the camcorder a couple of years back when I bought it and havent
    looked at since. The menu options are intuitive enough.

    Thanks again.

    The "OP"?

    , Mar 8, 2007