Sony dcr-trv260 camcorder & recommended software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lavinia, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. lavinia

    lavinia Guest

    I have a dcr camcorder and want to copy the video/sound from tape to a
    cd. The software that came with the camera, Picture Package is
    pathetic. It will only copy 10 minutes if sound is part of the video,
    then fade out and burn the <100 MB file to a CD, giving no option to
    edit or to use all the wasted space on the CD. It will copy longer if
    there is no sound.

    I bought this camera to record a band.

    I looked at Studio 9 but it is recommended to use with a firewire
    only. My camera comes with a firewire->usb cable and my computer has
    only usb connections. Studio 9 produced a 'jerky' file, even if I
    played with the settings, probably because I'm using usb instead of
    firewire.

    Can anyone recommend a software package that will work with my
    camera/computer? Especially that the interface is firewire -> usb.

    Sony support has not been too helpful.

    And if there is a better NG for this posting please let me know where
    I should post.

    Thanks

    lavinia, Feb 26, 2005

  2. lavinia

    Stacey Guest

    lavinia <mtlavinia-nospam<AT>remove.nym-DOT-alias-DOT-net> wrote:

    > I looked at Studio 9 but it is recommended to use with a firewire
    > only. My camera comes with a firewire->usb cable and my computer has
    > only usb connections. Studio 9 produced a 'jerky' file, even if I
    > played with the settings, probably because I'm using usb instead of
    > firewire.

    You have to use firewire to get "DV" quality video from the camera to the
    computer, PERIOD. The USB is for that "jerky" low quality video but mainly
    is included to get still captures from the memory card, it's NOT how you
    get good video from the camera.

    > Can anyone recommend a software package that will work with my
    > camera/computer? Especially that the interface is firewire -> usb.

    That isn't going to happen. Break down, spend the $15 for a firewire PCI
    card and a cable, this one even comes with editing software for a total
    price of $13.50..

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-226&depa=0

    Also this group is mainly for still digital camera photography, try the
    "video" newsgroups.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Feb 26, 2005

  3. lavinia

    lavinia Guest

    Stacey:

    Thanks for tips. I am using laptop but will investigate a pcmia card,
    although it will probably be more than $15.

    Would rec.video.desktop be a suitable group for more info? I see lots
    of video groups and don't know which would be the best.

    Thanks, L

    lavinia, Feb 26, 2005