Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by alecalgo@madasafish.com, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.
    Hello there,
    I am looking to replace my basic cheapo dial-up system (win98 running
    on 1999 hardware) with another basic system ... This time though the
    comp has to be capable of dealing with digi camera input ... (A sony
    cybershot DSCS500 ... which is another cheapo (£80) item in Comet's
    sale ... which I MAY** ? buy). All I want from such a camera are
    simple pictures for record purposes i.e. pictures of houses, rooms
    ...... car mechanical parts ... nothing much that is 'going to move'
    ---
    One of the drawbacks with that Sony model is they eat batteries ...?
    .... and the MS memory cards (Sony's own) are twice as much (£35 for a
    512mb) than the much more common SD ones.
    My Question ... to anybody who would be kind enough to help ... does
    the above camera/computer combination (see remarks below and comp spec)
    make any kind of sense ? ... or is it all just to cheap and nasty. Can
    anybody tell me also where the Sony DSCS500 fits into the Cybershot
    family ... is it a bottom of the range basic ...? or a 'onetime great'
    :)) but now superceded and hence discounted.
    -------(computer)---------
    Comet have the following £348 "reduced sale item" Comp (see spec at
    bottom) advertised in the national press. It is obviously as basic a
    machine as you can get ... fit for not much more than basic office
    work, as Comet's own spiel says (I've been down for a print off). So
    .... ? ..will it be any good for basic digi photo work ... the
    processing of, storing and sending etc. I ask because of Comets own
    rather negative note in their spec sheet .....
    "Shared Graphics 256MB.............this is an economical solution that
    borrows your computers main memory to use for graphics. Fine for basic
    computing tasks but not powerful enough for digital photography, video
    editing and gaming"
    ---
    That is my main worry ... then it's very basic bottom of the pile Intel
    Celeron 352 2.8Ghz processor ... is it up to it ?? Mind you it is a
    hell of a step up from the 433 Mhz one on this old machine ...;-)) (433
    megahertz Intel Celeron 32 kilobyte primary memory cache 128 kilobyte
    secondary memory cache :)). And as I certainly don't do games or
    video etc ... what would I need a fast processor for anyway ..?
    ---
    Lastly, as I intend to remain on dial-up only, I will have to buy an
    external modem as the Comet one has not got one .... neither has it a
    floppy disc drive :-(( ... so how the hell I am going to be able to
    transfer my 1gb of text files over to a new machine I just don't know
    ?? (can anybody give me some clues on what to do ..?.. my old machine
    has no USB 2 or 1 port ... and certainly no 'writing to CD' facility).
    I suppose I could alway laboriously get the main ones onto floppies
    .... then go down to the library and use their comp to get them onto a
    memory stick ...?
    ------------(comp spec)----------------
    £348 .....HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop ... with 15" screen.
    (in the ad it shows a wide screen ... so I'll challenge them on that
    aspect ... :)).
    Processor : Intel Celeron 352 2.8Ghz
    Processor bus 533 Mhz
    Processor cache 512 kb
    RAM 512 mb
    Hard drive 160 GB
    Optical drive ... 'plays and records CDs and DVDs'
    2nd optical drive .... not got one
    OS .... Windows XP media centre.....microsoft works
    ---
    Shared Graphics 256MB............."An economical solution that borrows
    your computers main memory to use for graphics. Fine for basic
    computing tasks but not powerful enough for digital photography, video
    editing and gaming"
    ---
    7 USB 2 slots
    Firewire ....yes
    Media Card slots 9-in-1 Use cards from your digital camera - a
    quick and easy way of getting your digital photos onto your PC
    -------o0o---------
    Hey aren't I just the cheapskate .... but when cash is short that's
    what you've just got to do ...;-(( or do without ....
    cheers
    alec

    , Jan 12, 2007

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 12 Jan 2007 12:33:36 -0800, wrote:

    > Lastly, as I intend to remain on dial-up only, I will have to buy an
    > external modem as the Comet one has not got one .... neither has it a
    > floppy disc drive :-(( ... so how the hell I am going to be able to
    > transfer my 1gb of text files over to a new machine I just don't know
    > ?? (can anybody give me some clues on what to do ..?.. my old machine
    > has no USB 2 or 1 port ... and certainly no 'writing to CD' facility).
    > I suppose I could alway laboriously get the main ones onto floppies
    > ... then go down to the library and use their comp to get them onto a
    > memory stick ...?

    Text files should compress very nicely, so you might be able to
    get away with having to transfer only a small fraction of the 1GB if
    you put the text files in zip archives. I'd have suggested using
    one of several programs that once were used to transfer files
    between computers using an included cable. Using parallel ports
    would be much faster than serial ports, but the problem is that few
    new computers have either serial *or* parallel ports. I once had a
    card reader that connected to a parallel port, and if you can still
    find one for your old computer your problem would be solved, since
    you could copy the text files to a memory card and your new computer
    probably has built-in card readers. A "small" 256MB card could be
    bought for practically nothing but would require several transfers
    (if you don't "zip" the files), but even a 1GB card wouldn't set you
    back very much, probably $15 to $20, maybe less. Another solution
    would be to use your computer's modem. If you don't have a website
    that would allow files to be uploaded and downloaded and don't mind
    the slight security risk, you could compress the text files into a
    password several protected Zip archives, upload them to an
    appropriate binary newsgroup using the old computer and download
    them using the new computer.

    Are you sure that you can't use a CD writer? They're very
    inexpensive and are compatible with Win98 using the supplied Win98
    drivers. You're not limited to using an internal drive. If you get
    a USB plugin card for your computer you could get an external CD
    writer that after you're finished with it for transferring the text
    files, could be used as a second CD drive for your new computer. It
    would have several practical uses, including debugging if you ever
    have problems with your new computer's original CD drive.

    ASAAR, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.
    Hello there,

    what you've just got to do ...;-(( or do without ....
    cheers
    alec

    Hi there.

    Your choice of machine is not all that bad, but have a look at PC World
    website. They have a range of machines around that price, some of which
    have graphic cards with inbuilt RAM, and some have faster processors

    Be aware however that on all the HP machines the built in Card Readers are
    dead slow, USB 1.1 only. So they are no bloody use.

    For Photo processing the Graphic Card is not a critical
    component, almost any old one would do. However if it is using system RAM,
    that would have a serious slowing down effect.

    Don't worry about the transfer of your old data. All you need to do is
    switch off both machines, switch off at the wall sockets, but leave them
    both plugged in. Remove the HDD with its flat data cable from your old
    machine, and plug it onto the Main Board of your new one, and connect one of
    the spare power supply cables to it. It does not even need to be bolted in,
    and your machine will run quite happily with its cover panel/s off. After
    you switch on again, your new one will show 2 HDDs, and you just copy and
    paste from the old HDD to the new.

    Any computer savvy teenager will do it for you.
    Or pay PC World £25 to transfer the data for you.

    Even if your new machine is a bit underpowered, it can easily be speeded up
    by adding extra RAM, once you have some spare cash, and RAM is cheap
    nowadays.

    An internal dial up Modem can be bought for £15.

    The general opinion is that cheapo flat panel monitors are not too good for
    photo processing, a cheapo CRT would be much better.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 12, 2007