Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by unavailable, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. unavailable

    unavailable Guest

    I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 the other day. I tested it out, and the
    indoor photos with flash were dismal. I was replacing an Olympus C-3000,
    and at 3.2 megapixles, it blew the Sony away in picture quality. Almost
    every shot I took with the new Sony W1 was soft, and the white balance was
    off, leaving every white wall in my house either yellow or green. I was not
    impressed at all.

    Worse than that, I contacted Sony's 800 number to ask them a couple of
    questions about the camera. I found out that they have NO technical
    experience or information whatsoever. They can merely regurgitate what is
    already printed in the manual. I tried to ask them if I can use Lithium
    batteries in the camera (not the rechargeable type, just the energizer light
    blue and silver batteries that are AA lithium batteries made specifically
    for digital cameras,) they said no, you can only use Alkaline or the
    rechargeable NiMH batteries. When I asked them why, they said they don't
    know, and there are no technical resources for them to ask. (Energizer said
    they would work, since they are made to work wherever you would normally use
    alkaline) but Sony said NO, they won't work strictly because that what was
    printed in the manual. I can't figure out why, but the manager of customer
    service for Sony said there was nobody to ask the question to at Sony.

    The other question I had for them was can I use a Memory Stick Pro Duo in
    the camera and they also said no. (I found out later that in the manual it
    says you can, but that's not the point.) The point is, they said no you
    couldn't use it because it was a "smaller" memory card and it wouldn't fit.
    I even tried to "teach" the guy at Sony that the whole purpose of the duo
    card is so that you can use it in equipment that takes EITHER size card, and
    that you would use it with the adapter in the W1, but he insisted that you
    couldn't use it in that camera. What an idiot.

    The bottom line is that when you call Olympus' technical support, they have
    TECHNICIANS on the other line that are capable and willing to answer your
    technical questions, and if they don't know the answer, they will put you on
    hold and try to find it out. (I imagine that other companies like Cannon
    and Kodak would as well.) Sony on the other hand was UNWILLING to do that.
    They could tell you what was in the manual, (and sometimes not even that)
    and then tell you they can't help you anymore.

    That left a very bad taste in my mouth (what would I do if I actually needed
    service on the camera??) and I promptly returned the camera to the store and
    bought the new Olympus C-60 for the same price from Sams Club (but 6
    megapixles instead of 5.) I tested the Olympus out and already my first
    impression is that it is way better than the Sony. I am now very happy.

    I just wanted to post this because maybe I can save some of you from making
    the same mistake of buying the Sony W1 camera that I did. It is not a good
    model, and SONY is NOT a good company to buy a digital camera from if you
    would like any kind of customer service or support.

    I've always been happy with Sony, and frankly I was shocked at how much
    their company has changed recently with it's customer service, but It will
    be a while before they will regain my trust again. And I was just about to
    go out and buy a Sony 50" LCD Big Screen TV. Now I'm going to consider a
    different company.

    Just a word to the wise... STAY AWAY FROM SONY.

    unavailable, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
    won't buy Sony.

    As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
    be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
    last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
    Shack).

    I use them in my Quantaray QTB-9500A external flash module and I previously used them in my
    Olympus D460-Z camera (gave camera to parents). I also use them in portable CD player and
    other equip't. and they last so much longer than alkaline batteries.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jun 23, 2004

  3. unavailable

    unavailable Guest

    About the Lithium batteries... You're absolutely right. there's no reason
    why you can't use them in the Sony W1 camera. However, Sony Swears that you
    can't use them. They specifically call for Alkaline or NiMH only. Sounds
    fishy doesn't it?

    unavailable, Jun 23, 2004
  4. unavailable

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:46:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
    >won't buy Sony.

    Just to balance things up a bit. I had a Sony LCD monitor that
    developed a patch of missing pixels after nearly three years. It was
    just in the guarantee period. Sony no longer made the same monitor so
    they exchanged it for a new larger one. It arrived the following day.

    Steve
    Build networks from numeric, text and image files.
    http://www.easynn.com

    , Jun 23, 2004
  5. unavailable

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:14:57 GMT, "unavailable" <> wrote:

    >I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 the other day. I tested it out, and the
    >indoor photos with flash were dismal. I was replacing an Olympus C-3000,
    >and at 3.2 megapixles, it blew the Sony away in picture quality. Almost
    >every shot I took with the new Sony W1 was soft, and the white balance was
    >off, leaving every white wall in my house either yellow or green. I was not
    >impressed at all.

    Seems to me you are nothing than a absolute Idiot and got what you deserved..

    , Jun 23, 2004
  6. unavailable

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service bySony... Read on...

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Don't top post

    > Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
    > won't buy Sony.
    >
    > As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
    > be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
    > last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
    > Shack).

    When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
    "AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    Alan Browne, Jun 23, 2004
  7. unavailable

    Jeff Durham Guest

    If it is not a voltage issue, could it be a temperature issue?

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 23, 2004
  8. unavailable

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> somehow managed to impart:

    >David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    >Don't top post
    >
    >> Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
    >> won't buy Sony.
    >>
    >> As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
    >> be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
    >> last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
    >> Shack).

    >When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
    >"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

    Yes, but what?

    Lithium batteries, in my experience have a remarkably constant voltage
    throughout their long, useful life. Ohm's Law is relevant here.

    My Olympus E-10 works just fine on Lithium batteries as well as NiMH.
    Alkaline would probably be fine for a short while, too.

    Alkaline start off about 1.6 volts per cell and drop to about 1.4
    before becoming useless for most digital cameras. NiMH start off about
    1.4 volts max and they hold their charge well until the voltage drops
    to <1.28 volts or thereabouts.

    Lithium keep going for ages at a pretty constant voltage, and hold
    their voltage for years. The battery in your motherboard is lithium.

    Lithium ion rechargables have lots of electronics inside them as well
    as chemicals and are usually device-specific. Nonetheless the
    manufacturers class them as consumables and only give a 6 month
    guarantee.

    Dave.

    2000 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh &
    Scotland. Also 3D rendered art & altered images.
    * No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk

    Dave, Jun 23, 2004
  9. unavailable

    unavailable Guest

    > When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
    > "AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

    That's brilliant Alan. You sound like you work for Sony's customer service.
    Highly technical answer! Now mr. smartypants, do you want to fill us in on
    what the good reason you have is?

    unavailable, Jun 23, 2004
  10. I almost *always* Top Post and will continue to do so !

    If they state it -- there has to be a reason. Please provide it.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jun 23, 2004
  11. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > I almost *always* Top Post and will continue to do so !
    >
    > If they state it -- there has to be a reason. Please provide it.
    >
    > Dave

    Any batteries will work in a camera as long as they do not exceed the
    voltage specs for the camera as put out by the manufacturer. If they are too
    low in voltage the camera won't work, but it won't harm the camera, since
    any battery you use will begin to put out a too small voltage when near the
    end of its useful life. I use a home-made lead acid battery pack on my Nikon
    F5. It only uses 5 cells, since 6 cells will charge up to 14.5 volts, and I
    was afraid that this might over voltage the camera circuits. Fortunately, I
    was able to find individual cells that only charge to about 2.1 volts each,
    and build a 5 cell pack that only charges to about 10.5 volts, which is well
    within the manufacturers 12 volt specs. I have to wear this pack on my
    waist, and connect it to my camera with a two conductor cord, but it will
    provide the camera with plenty of power for a long time, since it holds
    about 3500 ampere-hours. I use it for a back-up if the eight 1.55 volt
    lithium's die when I am on a location somewhere out in the sticks.

    William Graham, Jun 23, 2004
  12. William:

    12 volts can go into the regulator but, only 12 volts will come out of the 3 pin active
    device.

    Other chips to use; National Semiconductor LM25xx family -
    http://www.national.com/parametric/0,1850,1758,00.html

    Full schematic of a 12v, low voltage, regulated power supply:
    http://www.drbob.net/project/powersupply/linear/12v1alvdfxd/default.html

    Voltage regulation concept:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_5/7.html

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jun 23, 2004
  13. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > William:

    regulator. More than
    > 12 volts can go into the regulator but, only 12 volts will come out of the

    3 pin active
    > device.
    >
    > Other chips to use; National Semiconductor LM25xx family -
    > http://www.national.com/parametric/0,1850,1758,00.html
    >
    > Full schematic of a 12v, low voltage, regulated power supply:
    > http://www.drbob.net/project/powersupply/linear/12v1alvdfxd/default.html
    >
    > Voltage regulation concept:
    > http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_5/7.html
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks, Dave. - I may just try building one of these. I am using gell-cell 2
    volt cells that I found on line pretty cheap, but I would prefer a regular
    12 volt gell cell because they are very common, and I can plug them into my
    car cigarette lighter socket and recharge them while I am driving around. I
    have to charge my home-made pack with a 6 volt wall wart supply that really
    puts out 10.65 volts under no load. This works, but it takes several days to
    recharge the 10.5 volt pack back up if it is nearly discharged.....12 volt
    gell-cells are really neat for this application because they come in all
    sizes. The ones used for bicycle lights are a nice size......

    William Graham, Jun 24, 2004
  14. unavailable

    Dave wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
    > <> somehow managed to impart:
    >

    >>David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >>Don't top post
    >>

    >>>Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
    >>>won't buy Sony.
    >>>
    >>>As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
    >>>be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
    >>>last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
    >>>Shack).

    >>When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
    >>"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

    > Yes, but what?

    No idea. Unfortunately they don't explain why. The body 123
    batteries I use are lithium, but the vertical grip instructions
    say "thou shalt not" without explanation as to why. A
    possibility is that the instructions were generated at about the
    time lithiums came on the market, perhaps with some
    characteristic that the engineers at Minolta were wary of, hence
    the warning ... but no "why". Possibly it can be used with
    lithiums without trouble at all...

    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    Alan Browne, Jun 24, 2004
  15. unavailable

    pjp Guest

    > Dave wrote:
    > > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
    > > <> somehow managed to impart:
    > >

    > >>David H. Lipman wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Don't top post

    laptops. Therefore I

    why you should not

    batteries, they just

    (better price than Radio

    > >>When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
    > >>"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

    > > Yes, but what?

    > No idea. Unfortunately they don't explain why. The body 123
    > batteries I use are lithium, but the vertical grip instructions
    > say "thou shalt not" without explanation as to why. A
    > possibility is that the instructions were generated at about the
    > time lithiums came on the market, perhaps with some
    > characteristic that the engineers at Minolta were wary of, hence
    > the warning ... but no "why". Possibly it can be used with
    > lithiums without trouble at all...
    >

    > --
    > --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
    the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
    cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

    pjp, Jun 24, 2004
  16. unavailable

    pjp wrote:

    >>No idea. Unfortunately they don't explain why. The body 123
    >>batteries I use are lithium, but the vertical grip instructions
    >>say "thou shalt not" without explanation as to why. A
    >>possibility is that the instructions were generated at about the
    >>time lithiums came on the market, perhaps with some
    >>characteristic that the engineers at Minolta were wary of, hence
    >>the warning ... but no "why". Possibly it can be used with
    >>lithiums without trouble at all...
    >>

    >>--
    >>--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--
    >>

    > I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
    > the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
    > cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

    Really? Wow. Any web references you can point me to? I'm not
    about to 'test' the batteries in the grip (US$200 or so) in any case.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    Alan Browne, Jun 24, 2004
  17. unavailable

    unavailable Guest

    Energizer silver/blue lithium batteries are designed for digital cameras
    specifically. I don't think they intended to use them in flashlights.

    unavailable, Jun 24, 2004
  18. Alkaline batteries voltage drop as a function. Therefore the filament receives a lower
    voltage as a function of time and burns less hot as a function of time.

    Lithium batteries provide a constant voltage as a function of time until its life has been
    spent then its voltage drops off rapidly to zero. Therefore the filament receives a
    constant voltage as a function of time and burns hot consistently over the life span of the
    battery thus reducing the life span of the bulb.

    Cameras, CD players, DVD players or other electronic devices are active devices as opposed
    to bulbs which are passive device which are electrical not electronic devices. Therefore
    the two, cameras and flashlights, can NOT be compared equally.

    David H. Lipman, Jun 24, 2004
  19. Oooops...

    I meant to state... "Alkaline batteries voltage drop as a function of time."

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jun 24, 2004
  20. "pjp" <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
    > the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
    > cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

    If the voltage is correct for the bulb, the battery type can't hurt it. I
    suggest you look up Ohm's law, and take a few minutes to learn some basic
    electrical theory.....Believe me, it should only take an hour or less, and
    the information will be invaluable to you, regardless of what you choose for
    your profession.......

    William Graham, Jun 25, 2004