    He claims that it can double as a webcam; I say it can't.

    Can any other owner comment?

    Thanks

    al, Sep 12, 2003

  2. al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Me and a workmate have different opinions re: one function of this
    > camera :)
    >
    > He claims that it can double as a webcam; I say it can't.

    There are two possible ways of achieving streaming video from a camera of
    this type:

    1. If the camera has "USB Streaming" functionality then live data stream
    can be passed down the USB port with suitable software. Some Sony video
    camcorders have this functionality.

    2. If you have a video capture card and software that can stream from the
    video input port then you could connect your camera that way. This
    applies to any camera that has a video output.

    The spec sheet for this model doesn't mention USB streaming, so I'd guess
    that feature is not provided in that model.

    I don't know enough about webcams to know which technique they use to get
    their data into a PC, I'd guess the cheaper ones use USB streaming
    because the USB interface in the PC and the software do most of the hard
    work.

    Mainlander, Sep 13, 2003

  3. al

    al Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:59:34 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >There are two possible ways of achieving streaming video from a camera of
    >this type:
    >
    >1. If the camera has "USB Streaming" functionality then live data stream
    >can be passed down the USB port with suitable software. Some Sony video
    >camcorders have this functionality.
    >
    >2. If you have a video capture card and software that can stream from the
    >video input port then you could connect your camera that way. This
    >applies to any camera that has a video output.
    >
    >The spec sheet for this model doesn't mention USB streaming, so I'd guess
    >that feature is not provided in that model.
    >
    >I don't know enough about webcams to know which technique they use to get
    >their data into a PC, I'd guess the cheaper ones use USB streaming
    >because the USB interface in the PC and the software do most of the hard
    >work.

    Thanks for your input :)

    al, Sep 13, 2003