    spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    Chris Hope, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Chris Hope

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Chris Hope <> provided this moment of
    wisdom....

    >My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    >spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    >their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    >she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    We got a Sony DSC-V1 about 14 months ago. It has been excellent so
    far. Can't comment about other brands - but Sony rocks :)

    Also, whatever brand you go for, make sure you get sufficient
    memory(stick, CF, etc) because most cameras only seem to come with the
    minimum - and you will need extra capicity.

    HTHs

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Chris Hope <> provided this moment of
    > wisdom....
    >
    >>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and
    >>not spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering
    >>what their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands?
    >>Neither she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very
    >>important.

    > We got a Sony DSC-V1 about 14 months ago. It has been excellent so
    > far. Can't comment about other brands - but Sony rocks :)
    >
    > Also, whatever brand you go for, make sure you get sufficient
    > memory(stick, CF, etc) because most cameras only seem to come with the
    > minimum - and you will need extra capicity.

    I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
    Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can fit
    something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

    Chris Hope, Feb 9, 2005
  4. On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:35:45 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    >spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    >their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    >she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    I have 2 Sony's one is Great 717 but the W1 is not to hot and some reviews
    and personal comments state the same..

    Try this site for personal reviews and site reviews and Forums

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    The W1 has just been replaced with the W3, but does it come in black..?

    BIG Bear @bearmat.com.au, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Chris Hope

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    My dsc-p100 5mp is nice for shots in bright light although sometimes the
    photos look a little 'smooth'. In general indoor shots are poor. Unless
    the subject is very still, shots taken from this camera will show motion
    blur.

    Actually, my opinion is that the dsc-p100 is not as good as the previous
    model, dsc-p5 3.2mp.

    Jedmeister, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Chris Hope

    My Guest

    <> wrote:

    >My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    >spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    >their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    >she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com will answer your questions, good
    reviews...

    My, Feb 9, 2005
  7. Chris Hope

    Peter Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    We bought a Sony DSC-P71 3.2mp a couple of years ago - it's been just great!

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 9, 2005
  8. Chris Hope

    BTMO Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote

    > I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
    > Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can fit
    > something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

    I have a 20D and two 1gig cards. I shoot in raw, and max them out
    regularly...

    I take a LOT of pictures when the mood takes me...

    :)

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Feb 9, 2005
  9. Chris Hope

    A.D. Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    I spent 6 months literally cruising thru Sony reviews, waiting for 5
    megapixel Sony camera's to come down in price, etc. Asked experts,
    salespeople, photographers, you name it.

    I bought a Canon, but if you do buy Sony...

    Outcome 1: A Cybershot is the way to go with simple point and click.

    Outcome 2: Do not use digital zoom, turn it off for your parents. It
    will make blurry photos.

    Outcome 3: Buy the accessory pack with the extra battery and memory
    card. I spent a half day at the Auckland Zoo and the battery just
    lasted. Take a photo.. doesn't look right... delete... reshoot... etc.

    A.D.

    A.D., Feb 9, 2005
  10. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote
    >
    >> I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
    >> Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can
    >> fit something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

    > I have a 20D and two 1gig cards. I shoot in raw, and max them out
    > regularly...

    Yes, easy to do when shooting raw. I haven't done any in raw yet but I
    think I worked out you can only fit about 20 on a half gig card.

    > I take a LOT of pictures when the mood takes me...

    I was so pissed off when I saw the 20D come out ;)
    Still, I bought my 10D about a year ago so can't be too pissed off...

    Chris Hope, Feb 9, 2005
  11. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    A.D. wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and
    >> not spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering
    >> what their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands?
    >> Neither she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very
    >> important.

    > I spent 6 months literally cruising thru Sony reviews, waiting for 5
    > megapixel Sony camera's to come down in price, etc. Asked experts,
    > salespeople, photographers, you name it.
    >
    > I bought a Canon, but if you do buy Sony...
    >
    > Outcome 1: A Cybershot is the way to go with simple point and click.
    >
    > Outcome 2: Do not use digital zoom, turn it off for your parents. It
    > will make blurry photos.
    >
    > Outcome 3: Buy the accessory pack with the extra battery and memory
    > card. I spent a half day at the Auckland Zoo and the battery just
    > lasted. Take a photo.. doesn't look right... delete... reshoot... etc.

    Quite interesting. I just did a comparison with pricespy vs the
    wholesale price sheet I have and the cheapest prices on pricespy are
    slightly cheaper than the wholesale prices (I'm guessing they must be
    paralell imported). So the brand is no longer important - just the best
    camera for their needs that isn't too much. Thanks for the advice about
    the digital zoom.

    Chris Hope, Feb 9, 2005
  12. Chris Hope

    A.D. Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > A.D. wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Hope wrote:
    >>
    >>>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and
    >>>not spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering
    >>>what their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands?
    >>>Neither she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very
    >>>important.

    >>I spent 6 months literally cruising thru Sony reviews, waiting for 5
    >>megapixel Sony camera's to come down in price, etc. Asked experts,
    >>salespeople, photographers, you name it.
    >>
    >>I bought a Canon, but if you do buy Sony...
    >>
    >>Outcome 1: A Cybershot is the way to go with simple point and click.
    >>
    >>Outcome 2: Do not use digital zoom, turn it off for your parents. It
    >>will make blurry photos.
    >>
    >>Outcome 3: Buy the accessory pack with the extra battery and memory
    >>card. I spent a half day at the Auckland Zoo and the battery just
    >>lasted. Take a photo.. doesn't look right... delete... reshoot... etc.

    > Quite interesting. I just did a comparison with pricespy vs the
    > wholesale price sheet I have and the cheapest prices on pricespy are
    > slightly cheaper than the wholesale prices (I'm guessing they must be
    > paralell imported). So the brand is no longer important - just the best
    > camera for their needs that isn't too much. Thanks for the advice about
    > the digital zoom.

    My friend was annoyed with her Sony (flat, pocket size, 5mp) camera -
    can't remember the model!

    On my Canon the digital zoom occurs once you reach 3x optical zoom.

    With the Sony she had, the digital and optical worked at the same time,
    i.e. at 3x zoom it's 1.5x optical and 1.5x digital.

    Those zoom rates are guess-timates to demonstrate my point.

    A.D.

    A.D., Feb 9, 2005
  13. Chris Hope

    steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    I have one of the better ones....a SONY DSC-F505V

    Ease of use?

    I just plug the camera into the USB port on my Linux PC and a new
    "Removable drive" appears in the list of drives in the file
    manager......and I cut/copy (as required) the photo and movie files to
    my hard drive.

    If your mother can cut/paste files from one folder to another, she can
    handle this.

    On Win98SE, you did need to install some special drivers that came with
    the camera.

    I have never used the camera on WinXP.

    steve, Feb 9, 2005
  14. On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:35:45 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    >spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    >their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    >she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    If you are after cheap memsticks go here

    www.flashcards.co.nz

    BIG Bear @xxxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 9, 2005
  15. Chris Hope

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 09 Feb 2005
    21:15:00 +1300, A.D. <> says...
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    > > A.D. wrote:

    > >>I spent 6 months literally cruising thru Sony reviews, waiting for 5
    > >>megapixel Sony camera's to come down in price, etc. Asked experts,
    > >>salespeople, photographers, you name it.
    > >>
    > >>I bought a Canon, but if you do buy Sony...
    > >>
    > >>Outcome 1: A Cybershot is the way to go with simple point and click.
    > >>
    > >>Outcome 2: Do not use digital zoom, turn it off for your parents. It
    > >>will make blurry photos.
    > >>
    > >>Outcome 3: Buy the accessory pack with the extra battery and memory
    > >>card. I spent a half day at the Auckland Zoo and the battery just
    > >>lasted. Take a photo.. doesn't look right... delete... reshoot... etc.

    > > Quite interesting. I just did a comparison with pricespy vs the
    > > wholesale price sheet I have and the cheapest prices on pricespy are
    > > slightly cheaper than the wholesale prices (I'm guessing they must be
    > > paralell imported). So the brand is no longer important - just the best
    > > camera for their needs that isn't too much. Thanks for the advice about
    > > the digital zoom.
    > >

    > My friend was annoyed with her Sony (flat, pocket size, 5mp) camera -
    > can't remember the model!
    >
    > On my Canon the digital zoom occurs once you reach 3x optical zoom.
    >
    > With the Sony she had, the digital and optical worked at the same time,
    > i.e. at 3x zoom it's 1.5x optical and 1.5x digital.

    some models have the smartzoome, if using less than fullres the extra
    pixels are yused to get a digital zoom without distortion

    Adder, Feb 9, 2005
  16. Chris Hope

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 09 Feb
    2005 22:38:18 +1300, steve <> says...
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    > > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    > I have one of the better ones....a SONY DSC-F505V
    >
    > Ease of use?
    >
    > I just plug the camera into the USB port on my Linux PC and a new
    > "Removable drive" appears in the list of drives in the file
    > manager......and I cut/copy (as required) the photo and movie files to
    > my hard drive.
    >
    > If your mother can cut/paste files from one folder to another, she can
    > handle this.
    >
    > On Win98SE, you did need to install some special drivers that came with
    > the camera.
    >
    > I have never used the camera on WinXP.

    xp wont need any drivers installed

    Adder, Feb 9, 2005
  17. Chris Hope

    Jason Rumney Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in message news:<cuc0ho$rrf$>...
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

    I used to have a Sony (3-4 years ago), and it was fantastic. The best
    low-light performance I've seen from a non-pro camera, and it had a
    neat swivel LCD so you could see what you were taking when using a
    tripod or holding it at arms length for self portraits.

    After it got stolen, I was unimpressed with the line up Sony had and
    went with a Canon instead. They weren't getting good reviews any more,
    and had lost the features like the swivel LCD that set them apart from
    everyone else. I don't know what the current state of Sony's cameras
    is, but it might vary from model to model, so read up on some reviews
    before making the decision.

    Jason Rumney, Feb 9, 2005
  18. Chris Hope

    BTMO Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote

    > >> I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
    > >> Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can
    > >> fit something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

    > > I have a 20D and two 1gig cards. I shoot in raw, and max them out
    > > regularly...

    > Yes, easy to do when shooting raw. I haven't done any in raw yet but I
    > think I worked out you can only fit about 20 on a half gig card.

    I can get just over 100 shots with a 1gig card, or about 70 per card if I
    shoot in raw+jpeg (which I don't do very often...)

    I can get a couple of hundred if I shoot in jpeg only.

    > > I take a LOT of pictures when the mood takes me...

    > I was so pissed off when I saw the 20D come out ;)
    > Still, I bought my 10D about a year ago so can't be too pissed off...

    :)

    I have had it since about the 3rd of Jan.

    I love it!

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Feb 10, 2005
  19. Chris Hope

    PC Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    > spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    > their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    > she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Chris

    For what it's worth I've got:

    DSC-S70 first of the point & shoot 3MP x 3X optical zoom models. Worst
    feature 'dead slow' many missed shots, best feature 'excellent photo's'

    DSC-F717 bought this one one week before the 828 came out and was kinda
    annoyed as I specifically asked the source (a family member) if there was
    any new models on the horizon. :-(
    Having said that, worst feature 'somewhat awkward to tote for tourist
    photography' best feature again 'excellent photo's'

    General comment
    Memory Stick, expensive per MB.
    Batteries, proprietry but usually give long shoot times, two fully charged
    should last full day of sightseeing.
    Quality control seems to have dropped, my 717 had a sticky on/off switch
    till I lubed it with silicon.
    My son has a P73 and is happy with it.

    Best advice
    Any of the Cybershots would probably a good starting point, remember it's
    like houses, it's not till your third home that you start to get a feel for
    what 'you' want.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Feb 10, 2005
  20. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:38:21 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
    >> spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
    >> their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
    >> she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    >Chris
    >
    >For what it's worth I've got:
    >
    >DSC-S70 first of the point & shoot 3MP x 3X optical zoom models. Worst
    >feature 'dead slow' many missed shots, best feature 'excellent photo's'
    >
    >DSC-F717 bought this one one week before the 828 came out and was kinda
    >annoyed as I specifically asked the source (a family member) if there was
    >any new models on the horizon. :-(

    the 828 did not come out to well in reviews with its Lens & photo noise
    performance, but its still a very nice camera.

    Get your Sticks from www.flashcards.co.nz and save heaps..

    BIG Bear @xxxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 10, 2005