Sony CD Rootkit as a hack for itself...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    >From slashdot:
    (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/07/1221209&from=rss)

    strider44 writes "Mark from Sysinternals has digged a little deeper
    into the Sony DRM and discovered it Phones Home with an ID for the CD
    being listened to. XCP Support claims that "The player has a standard
    rotating banner that connects the user to additional content (e.g.
    provides a link to the artist web site). The player simply looks online
    to see if another banner is available for rotation. The communication
    is one-way in that a banner is simply retrieved from the server if
    available. No information is ever fed back or collected about the
    consumer or their activities." Also on this topic, Matt Nikki in the
    comments section discovered that the DRM can be bypassed simply by
    renaming your favourite ripping program with "$sys$" at the start of
    the filename and ripping the CD using this file, which is now
    undetectable even by the Sony DRM. You can use the Sony rootkit itself
    to bypass their own DRM!" Update: 11/07 14:21 GMT by H : Attentive
    reader Matteo G.P. Flora also notes that an Italian lawyer has filed
    suit against Sony on behalf of the Italian equivalent of the EFF.
    Translation availabe through the hive mind.

    --

    by my count, once the rootkit was discovered, it took less than a week
    (a) haxx0rs to exploit it (WoW), and (b) come up with a workaround.

    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SONY!

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Goro

    jb Guest

    > ...discovered that the DRM can be bypassed simply by
    > renaming your favourite ripping program with "$sys$" at the start of
    > the filename and ripping the CD using this file, which is now
    > undetectable even by the Sony DRM.

    Now that is amusing!

    jb, Nov 9, 2005