Sony CD-Rom 'DRIVER'?!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Eos, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Eos

    Eos Guest

    I hauled out my old P133 machine the other night. It used to contain Win98
    and stuff, but as it wouldn't read any CDs I put into the 8x speed CD Rom
    Drive. I instantly thought the drive was gone, and in my frustration, I
    formatted the hard drive and thought "stuff it!". ;) Then tonight, I did a
    search for the Sony CDU331 CD Rom Drive as I wondered how much it would cost
    for a replacement, but instead of finding the drive....'I found the driver!
    I didn't know that these things used their own drivers...'do they? I always
    thought that the driver for the CD Rom Drive was on the Win98 boot-disk
    which I had made. I tried to install Win98 again booting from the floppy
    bootdisk, but although I selected the option to install the CD Rom support,
    the PC is still not recognising my Win98 CD, or any other CD for that
    matter. I took the drive out, checked all cables and replaced it. I've
    checked the bios and it's there. Also, when Win98 'was' on the PC, it showed
    the drive in Device Manager and named it correctly. The drive spins, but I
    am told repeatedly that "there is no readable media". Is my drive history?
    Or have I fluffed something? Anyway, I downloaded the driver for it from a
    place called windrivers or something like that. It says it's a Dos driver as
    well a a Windows driver in a Winzip file, but I haven't a clue what to do
    with it as I have formatted the hard drive. Any help/advice here greatly
    appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Eos.

    Eos, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Eos

    x@y Guest

    "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I hauled out my old P133 machine the other night. It used to contain Win98
    >and stuff, but as it wouldn't read any CDs I put into the 8x speed CD Rom
    >Drive. I instantly thought the drive was gone, and in my frustration, I
    >formatted the hard drive and thought "stuff it!". ;) Then tonight, I did a
    >search for the Sony CDU331 CD Rom Drive as I wondered how much it would
    >cost for a replacement, but instead of finding the drive....'I found the
    >driver! I didn't know that these things used their own drivers...'do they?
    >I always thought that the driver for the CD Rom Drive was on the Win98
    >boot-disk which I had made. I tried to install Win98 again booting from the
    >floppy bootdisk, but although I selected the option to install the CD Rom
    >support, the PC is still not recognising my Win98 CD, or any other CD for
    >that matter. I took the drive out, checked all cables and replaced it. I've
    >checked the bios and it's there. Also, when Win98 'was' on the PC, it
    >showed the drive in Device Manager and named it correctly. The drive spins,
    >but I am told repeatedly that "there is no readable media". Is my drive
    >history? Or have I fluffed something? Anyway, I downloaded the driver for
    >it from a place called windrivers or something like that. It says it's a
    >Dos driver as well a a Windows driver in a Winzip file, but I haven't a
    >clue what to do with it as I have formatted the hard drive. Any help/advice
    >here greatly appreciated.
    > Cheers.
    > Eos.

    Hello Eos,

    Log on to this Website, there are a couple of Links that might help.

    http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/forum/19-1.html

    Good Luck, x@y.

    x@y, Mar 5, 2005