Sony BMG's copy-protection problems grow

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    "Further spotlighting Sony BMG's response to recent events, a congressional
    subcommittee held hearings on Wednesday regarding fair use and copyright
    protections. In statements, Republicans that head both the Committee on
    Energy and Commerce and its Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer
    Protection voiced support for fair use and stated that current copyright
    legislation, especially the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), has
    gone too far in limiting consumer use of media."

    "It boils down to this: I believe that when I buy a music album or movie, it
    should be mine once I leave the store," Barton said. "Who doesn't believe
    that? Does it mean I have unlimited rights? Of course not. But the law
    should not restrict my fair-use right to use my own property."

    Republican Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, chairman of the House Committee on
    Energy and Commerce, said in a published opening statement.

    "The reaction by the security community shows that media companies cannot
    assume that they have the right to install whatever software they wish on a
    consumer's computer, said Ari Schwartz, associate director for the Center
    for Democracy and Technology, a Washington, D.C.-based technology-policy
    think tank."

    "This incident does show companies that they can't just ignore consumer
    expectations and do what they want to do, no matter how justifiable it
    might be under the law," Schwartz said.

    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11357?ref=rss

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Nov 20, 2005