Sony Artisan vs. New 23" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Julian Vrieslander, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. I have been using a Sony GDM-F520 monitor for my Macintosh-based home
    digital darkroom and Photoshop skunkworks. Nice image most of the time,
    but it has occasional bouts where the synch goes funky and the image
    shakes. After three failed repair attempts, Sony is apparently
    considering other options for me. They may be preparing to offer me an
    exchange for a GDM-C520 Artisan monitor, or perhaps a cash settlement.

    I know that the Artisan gets raves from many graphics pros. I have been
    using a Spyder/OptiCAL combo with the F520. The Artisan's integrated
    calibration and profiling system is probably superior. But it is
    essentially a revision of the F520 hardware, so I am a bit worried about
    encountering more reliability problems.

    If I take the cash, I would consider buying the new 23" Apple Cinema
    Display (brushed aluminum frame). I have worked on ACDs from the
    previous series (clear plastic frames), and they would probably be
    adequate for my needs. But I have no experience with the new ones.
    Has anyone made comparisons between the new and old ACDs, or between the
    new ACDs and the Artisan?

    I would characterize myself as an intermediate-level amateur
    photographer. I know how to use color spaces, profiles, soft proofs,
    etc. But I will also be using this monitor for my real job
    (programming), plus websurfing, watching DVDs, etc.

    Several months ago, I read some press releases about interesting new
    monitors from NEC-Mitsubishi. They claim to have CRTs with new
    phosphors that come close to covering the gamut of AdobeRGB. They also
    described a new wide-gamut flat screen technology, which use LEDs for
    illumination (this is not the thin-film OLED stuff). But it looks like
    I will have to choose my next monitor before these products are
    available.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

    Julian Vrieslander, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Julian Vrieslander

    Rick Guest

    "Julian Vrieslander" <> wrote in message
    > I have been using a Sony GDM-F520 monitor for my Macintosh-based home
    > digital darkroom and Photoshop skunkworks. Nice image most of the time,
    > but it has occasional bouts where the synch goes funky and the image
    > shakes. After three failed repair attempts, Sony is apparently
    > considering other options for me. They may be preparing to offer me an
    > exchange for a GDM-C520 Artisan monitor, or perhaps a cash settlement.
    >
    > I know that the Artisan gets raves from many graphics pros. I have been
    > using a Spyder/OptiCAL combo with the F520. The Artisan's integrated
    > calibration and profiling system is probably superior. But it is
    > essentially a revision of the F520 hardware, so I am a bit worried about
    > encountering more reliability problems.
    >
    > If I take the cash, I would consider buying the new 23" Apple Cinema
    > Display (brushed aluminum frame). I have worked on ACDs from the
    > previous series (clear plastic frames), and they would probably be
    > adequate for my needs. But I have no experience with the new ones.
    > Has anyone made comparisons between the new and old ACDs, or between the
    > new ACDs and the Artisan?
    >
    > I would characterize myself as an intermediate-level amateur
    > photographer. I know how to use color spaces, profiles, soft proofs,
    > etc. But I will also be using this monitor for my real job
    > (programming), plus websurfing, watching DVDs, etc.
    >
    > Several months ago, I read some press releases about interesting new
    > monitors from NEC-Mitsubishi. They claim to have CRTs with new
    > phosphors that come close to covering the gamut of AdobeRGB. They also
    > described a new wide-gamut flat screen technology, which use LEDs for
    > illumination (this is not the thin-film OLED stuff). But it looks like
    > I will have to choose my next monitor before these products are
    > available.

    For many people, the difference in gamut between the
    new wide gamut Mitsubishis and their stock 2070 isn't
    enough to warrant the huge difference in price, especially
    for intermediate level amateurs. The stock 2070 already
    has a brighter tube and wider gamut than Sony's F520.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Julian Vrieslander

    RSD99 Guest

    There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually made by Sony ...
    and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD" ... Model
    SDM-P232W/B

    See
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInf
    ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?ProductSKU=SDMP232W%2fB

    RSD99, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Julian Vrieslander

    jjs Guest

    "RSD99" <> wrote in message
    > There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually

    made by Sony ...
    > and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD"

    .... Model
    > SDM-P232W/B
    >
    > See

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInf

    ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?ProductSKU=SDMP232W%
    2fB

    Let's shorten that URL 'for the rest of us' to:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C4A814809 :)

    In his public introduction of the new Cinema display, Steve Jobs said that
    one distinguishing characteristic of the screen is that Apple has a second
    round of QC checks before branding. Dunno.

    jjs, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Julian Vrieslander

    leo Guest

    "RSD99" <> wrote in message
    > There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually

    made by Sony ...
    > and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD"

    .... Model
    > SDM-P232W/B
    >
    > See

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInf

    ormation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=?ProductSKU=SDMP232W%
    2fB

    Both Sony PremierPro and Apple Cinema use Philips' LCD display on the 23"
    displays [same core as Philips 230W5VS].

    leo, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Julian Vrieslander

    RSD99 Guest

    Hummmmmmmmm ...

    Very interesting. So now we actually have three sources for monitors based on the same
    "technology" ...

    Apple Cinema Display

    Sony Premier Pro 23" Wide Flat Panel LCD
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C4A814809

    Philips 230W5VS
    http://www.philipschannel.com/Monitors/Flat-230W5VS.htm

    I wonder how the "other parts of the system" compare. Things like the drive electronics,
    driver software, and so forth.

    Is one of them actually better than the other two for "graphics work?"

    RSD99, Aug 12, 2004
  7. In article <5JHSc.9223$>,
    "RSD99" <> wrote:

    > There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is actually
    > made by Sony ...
    > and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD" ...
    > Model SDM-P232W/B
    >
    > See

    <http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY
    _DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=
    ?ProductSKU=SDMP232W%2fB>

    The Sony model on that web page has different specs than the newest 23"
    ACD (from the series with brushed aluminum frames). Perhaps it uses the
    same screen as the previous 23" ACD (series with clear plastic frame).

    Sony PremierPro 23:

    Contrast ratio = 350:1
    Luminance = 200 cd/m^2
    Response time = 40 ms

    Apple Cinema Display 23:

    Contrast ratio = 400:1
    Luminance = 270 cd/m^2
    Response time = 16 ms

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

    Julian Vrieslander, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Julian Vrieslander

    leo Guest

    > In article <5JHSc.9223$>,
    > "RSD99" <> wrote:
    >
    > > There is a "rumor going around" that the Apple Cinema Display is

    actually
    > > made by Sony ...
    > > and available from them as the Sony "PREMIERPRO 23 Wide Flat Panel LCD"

    > > Model SDM-P232W/B
    > >
    > > See

    > <http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY
    > _DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=_wu_gvkupsa_o7g1uAG1ibY_mqylQpNq3k8=
    > ?ProductSKU=SDMP232W%2fB>
    >
    > The Sony model on that web page has different specs than the newest 23"
    > ACD (from the series with brushed aluminum frames). Perhaps it uses the
    > same screen as the previous 23" ACD (series with clear plastic frame).
    >
    > Sony PremierPro 23:
    >
    > Contrast ratio = 350:1
    > Luminance = 200 cd/m^2
    > Response time = 40 ms
    >
    > Apple Cinema Display 23:
    >
    > Contrast ratio = 400:1
    > Luminance = 270 cd/m^2
    > Response time = 16 ms
    >
    > --
    > Julian Vrieslander

    Check again. The _new_ Sony PremierPro 23" [SDM-P234] has 500:1 contrast
    ratio. Now I don't know if the new model still uses Philips screen but I
    guess they are the same as Sony and Philips collabrate in many new
    technologies.

    leo, Aug 13, 2004