Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet LaserDiode and Blu-ray

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Blig Merk, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Blig Merk

    Blig Merk Guest

    This post is to school you psycho-schizo xflop fanbitch idiot zombies.
    On one hand, you whine "DUH GHEYMZ, DUH GHEYMZ!!!" when Blu-ray is the
    subject, then on the other hand you counter with some limp wrist "DUH
    HD-DUD IZ DUH DATAZ ANDZ DUH SONYZ DUZN'T PWNZ DUH BLUR-RAYZ!!!". It
    has always struck me how incredibly dense, stupid and ignorant the
    xflop fanbitches can be.

    Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
    retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
    GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
    MOVIES AND DATA.

    Blu-ray drives are going to follow the same path as DVD. Here is the
    progression, dumbed down so even you idiots should be able to
    understand it. First, just like DVD, there will be fairly expensive BD-
    ROM drives included with higher end PC's. Then, the BD-ROM drives will
    drop rapidly in price. After that, higher end PC's will have fairly
    expensive BD+R/RE drives included. From there, the price of BD+R/RE
    drives will drop rapidly until, after awhile, inexpensive BD+R/RE will
    be standard drives for almost every PC. This is the exact same
    progression that happened for DVD and took about 5 years. About 3
    years in, PC games started showing up on DVD until now, they are all
    on DVD. The same is going to happen with Blu-ray. So, it is about DUH
    GHEYMZ, you idiots.

    And guess who owns the Blue-Violet Laser Diode and the Blu-ray
    technology? Sure, Samsung and Sharp are now manufacturing Blue-Violet
    Laser Diodes -- but only after licensing the technology from Sony and
    Nichia. Some people remember when only Sony and Nichia manufactured
    blue-violet laser diodes and it wasn't that long ago. Blu-ray becoming
    the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive
    for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony and Nichia. xflop
    fanbitches am cry.

    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200404/04-0422E/

    April 22, 2004

    Cross License Agreement of Blue-Violet Laser Diode
    related Patents for Optical Disc

    Nichia Corporation (hereafter "Nichia") and Sony Corporation
    (hereafter "Sony") have come to an agreement on the cross license of
    Blue-Violet Laser Diode (hereafter Blue-Violet LD) related patents for
    optical disc use.

    In December 2002, Nichia and Sony have agreed to collaborate on the
    development of Blue-Violet LD as well as building-up an environment to
    share the usage of the related technologies which the 2 companies
    possess, to accelerate the growing demand of Blue-Violet LD. Nichia
    and Sony have also worked in collaboration on the Blue-Violet LD
    development for optical disc recording/play-back use.
    The cross license agreement will further strengthen the
    collaboration and will enable usage of all related patents on Blue-
    Violet LD, with no time limit, in the field of the optical disc
    recording/playback usage. Collectively, there are approximately 800
    patent applications in total filed by both companies.

    Blue-Violet LD is a 405nm wavelength semiconductor laser which will
    be vital for Blu-ray disc system, enabling digital recording of high-
    definition (HD) contents (movies) in consumer use and professional
    disc system XDCAM. It is the key device in the HD era, in various
    occasions where high quality images/movies are the key in HD contents
    creation in Digital HD broadcasting and recording/play-back in
    consumer use.

    Through the cross-license, in addition to Nichia, which is most
    advanced on a world-wide basis as the Blue-Violet LD supplier, Sony
    will also mass-produce and be the supplier of Blue-Violet LD, leading
    to building-up a stable environment of the supply of Blue-Violet LD
    for optical disc use, required for Blu-ray disc system market which is
    expected increase significantly.
    The convergence of technologies of both companies lead to achieving
    cost-down by improving production efficiency and further enhancing the
    production design/manufacturing of higher-performance/high-level-
    output Blue-Violet LD.
    Results of the join developments so far have already been
    implemented in mass production by both companies, and mass production
    shipment by Nichia and partial shipment of evaluation samples to other
    companies by Sony are under process.

    Both companies have agreed to continue to collaborate in technology
    development, leading to enhanced performance of Blue-Violet LD and
    contribution in the development of Blu-ray disc and XDCAM market.
    Blig Merk, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:29:19 -0800 (PST), Blig Merk
    <> wrote:

    >This post is to school you psycho-schizo xflop fanbitch idiot zombies.
    >On one hand, you whine "DUH GHEYMZ, DUH GHEYMZ!!!" when Blu-ray is the
    >subject, then on the other hand you counter with some limp wrist "DUH
    >HD-DUD IZ DUH DATAZ ANDZ DUH SONYZ DUZN'T PWNZ DUH BLUR-RAYZ!!!". It
    >has always struck me how incredibly dense, stupid and ignorant the
    >xflop fanbitches can be.
    >
    >Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
    >retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
    >GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
    >MOVIES AND DATA.
    >
    >Blu-ray drives are going to follow the same path as DVD. Here is the
    >progression, dumbed down so even you idiots should be able to
    >understand it. First, just like DVD, there will be fairly expensive BD-
    >ROM drives included with higher end PC's. Then, the BD-ROM drives will
    >drop rapidly in price. After that, higher end PC's will have fairly
    >expensive BD+R/RE drives included. From there, the price of BD+R/RE
    >drives will drop rapidly until, after awhile, inexpensive BD+R/RE will
    >be standard drives for almost every PC. This is the exact same
    >progression that happened for DVD and took about 5 years. About 3
    >years in, PC games started showing up on DVD until now, they are all
    >on DVD. The same is going to happen with Blu-ray. So, it is about DUH
    >GHEYMZ, you idiots.

    May be not as the DVD license holder was not Sony and Sony is very
    greedy. Don't look for everyone to start manufacturing BD-ROM drives
    right away.

    >And guess who owns the Blue-Violet Laser Diode and the Blu-ray
    >technology? Sure, Samsung and Sharp are now manufacturing Blue-Violet
    >Laser Diodes -- but only after licensing the technology from Sony and
    >Nichia. Some people remember when only Sony and Nichia manufactured
    >blue-violet laser diodes and it wasn't that long ago. Blu-ray becoming
    >the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive
    >for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony and Nichia. xflop
    >fanbitches am cry.

    You made my point "...but only after licensing the technology from
    Sony and Nichia"
    There will be other options for High Capacity Storage.

    Fred C. Dobbs, Feb 20, 2008

  3. Blig Merk

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

    So...you want us to applaud you for picking the right format?
    Gee, you only had a 50-50 chance of getting THAT one right.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Blig Merk

    Tomcat Guest

    On Feb 19, 8:29 pm, Blig Merk <> wrote:
    > Look, I am putting this on a separate line so even you illiterate
    > retards can get it: BLU-RAY IS *NOT* JUST A MOVIE FORMAT. IT IS A
    > GENERAL INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE HIGH DENSITY DATA FORMAT, MEANING GAMES,
    > MOVIES AND DATA.

    I'm putting this on a seperate line as well:
    THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA STORAGE
    DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES. THEY DO NOT REQUIRE
    HIGH CAPACITY DISKS TO FUNCTION. GAMES WORK FINE ON DVD. ALSO, BLU-
    RAY IS NOT "INEXPENSIVE". ITS COST WAS AND STILL IS A MAJOR REASON
    THE PS3 IS SOLD AT SUCH A LOSS THUS NECESSITATING A HIGH GAME
    ATTACHMENT RATE FOR SONY TO MAKE A PROFIT BUT THIS IS NOT HAPPENING
    YET.

    >Blu-ray becoming the standard read/write portable high data density medium and drive for PC's means tons of cash coming for Sony

    Let's hope it's at least $700 million (plus interest).
    Tomcat, Feb 20, 2008
  5. Blig Merk

    Calab Guest

    Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

    > THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA
    > STORAGE DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES.

    Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
    themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

    > THEY DO NOT REQUIRE HIGH CAPACITY DISKS TO FUNCTION. GAMES
    > WORK FINE ON DVD.

    Except for games that have more than 8 gig of content.

    > ALSO, BLU-RAY IS NOT "INEXPENSIVE". ITS COST
    > WAS AND STILL IS A MAJOR REASON THE PS3 IS SOLD AT SUCH A LOSS
    > THUS NECESSITATING A HIGH GAME ATTACHMENT RATE FOR SONY TO
    > MAKE A PROFIT BUT THIS IS NOT HAPPENING YET.

    Maybe in your world, but Sony is laughing all the way to the bank now that
    HDDVD is dead.
    Calab, Feb 20, 2008
  6. Blig Merk

    Tomcat Guest

    On Feb 20, 2:36 pm, "Calab" <> wrote:

    > Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
    > themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

    They said that primarily to justify the high price. The fact is the
    PS3 cannot be a profitable product for Sony until it becomes more of a
    game console and less as a movie player.

    > Except for games that have more than 8 gig of content.

    The 8 gig limitation hasn't been a problem for the 360 thus far and
    isn't likely to be a major problem during the life of the 360. Plus
    it's not going to be a showstopper if a few games have to ship on
    multiple DVD's.

    > Maybe in your world, but Sony is laughing all the way to the bank now that
    > HDDVD is dead.

    Again, what does HD-DVD dying have to do with the PS3 as a successful
    and PROFITABLE game playing device?
    Tomcat, Feb 20, 2008
  7. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Tomcat wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 2:36 pm, "Calab" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
    >>themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

    > Again, what does HD-DVD dying have to do with the PS3 as a successful
    > and PROFITABLE game playing device?

    Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Blig Merk

    Tomcat Guest

    On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...

    Well maybe they should. If a person has only the intention of
    watching movies Sony would much rather them go buy a stand-alone Sony
    Blu-ray player instead of a PS3.
    Tomcat, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Tomcat wrote:

    > On Feb 20, 3:08 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...
    >>

    > Well maybe they should. If a person has only the intention of
    > watching movies Sony would much rather them go buy a stand-alone Sony
    > Blu-ray player instead of a PS3.

    If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    trouble their sleep any?

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  10. Blig Merk

    Tomcat Guest

    On Feb 20, 3:17 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    > movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    > trouble their sleep any?

    Because Sony loses more money on selling you a $400 PS3 as a movie
    player than selling you the $400 S300.
    Tomcat, Feb 20, 2008
  11. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Tomcat wrote:

    > On Feb 20, 3:17 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    >>movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    >>trouble their sleep any?
    >>

    > Because Sony loses more money on selling you a $400 PS3 as a movie
    > player than selling you the $400 S300.

    What, because you're "not playing games"?

    Well, um....play a game then. Or not. Knock yer freakin' self out.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  12. Blig Merk

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    On Feb 20, 12:05 pm, Doug Jacobs <> wrote:
    > So...you want us to applaud you for picking the right format?
    > Gee, you only had a 50-50 chance of getting THAT one right.
    >
    > --
    > It's not broken.  It's...advanced.

    Hmm. So I guess that would make someone an idiot for NOT getting that
    one right if it was that simple.
    Mattinglyfan, Feb 20, 2008
  13. Blig Merk

    Tom Guest

    "Tomcat" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 20, 3:17 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    > movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    > trouble their sleep any?

    Because Sony loses more money on selling you a $400 PS3 as a movie
    player than selling you the $400 S300.

    But, Sony (as well as MS) make their money on peripheral hardware and
    software sales, so if they sell more PS3s, they also are going to sell both
    movies and games. From a marketing standpoint, they cannot lose on this
    scenario.
    Tom, Feb 20, 2008
  14. Blig Merk

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.games.video.xbox Calab <> wrote:
    > > THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA
    > > STORAGE DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES.

    > Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
    > themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

    Which is why it's failing as a game console.

    With the exception of blu-ray, the 360 can do all the same media tricks
    that the PS3 can do - and I really don't care. I want games.

    > > THEY DO NOT REQUIRE HIGH CAPACITY DISKS TO FUNCTION. GAMES
    > > WORK FINE ON DVD.

    > Except for games that have more than 8 gig of content.

    There has yet to be a PS3 game that would not fit onto a DVD. Games like
    Heavenly Sword only take up so much space because they put every language
    version on the same disc. Normally these languages would appear on
    different versions of the game. Other games have to use replicated data
    across the disc to help with the PS3's blu-ray drive's otherwise slow data
    transfer. This is hardly the evidence slam-dunk that proves that blu-ray
    isn't just "nice", but "REQUIRED" for gaming that Sony claims it is.

    Also, on the 360 side of things, there's only been one game so far that
    hasn't fit on a single DVD, and that's a RPG, which have been been released
    on multiple discs since CDs were first starting to make their appearance in
    the console game world.

    Try again.

    Sony may have won the next generation of home video, but they're in real
    danger of losing the this generation of game consoles, and have damaged
    their chances for the next generation as well. I hope the tradeoff was
    worth it.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 20, 2008
  15. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > In alt.games.video.xbox Calab <> wrote:
    >
    >>>THE XBOX 360 AND PS3 ARE NOT PRIMARILY MOVIE PLAYERS OR DATA
    >>>STORAGE DEVICES. THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE GAME CONSOLES.

    >>Except that the PS3 was never designed to be just a game console. Sony
    >>themselves say that the PS3 was designed to be a media hub.

    > Which is why it's failing as a game console.
    >
    > Sony may have won the next generation of home video, but they're in real
    > danger of losing the this generation of game consoles, and have damaged
    > their chances for the next generation as well.

    Gee...Guess they may just have to take all that leftover game processing
    technology and make Blu-ray players that work as well as the PS3,
    instead. ^_^

    Derek Janssen (somewhere on Gilligan's Island, there's a Japanese
    soldier still shouting "The PS3's a game-machine flop!" long after the
    War was over)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  16. Blig Merk

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.games.video.xbox Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > Sony doesn't ask WHY you buy a PS3...

    No, but the PS3 comes from the video game arm of Sony - not the A/V
    products arm of Sony.

    Unlike Sony's TVs or cameras, the PS3 by itself doesn't make money. If
    anything, it's sold at a loss to help get consoles into the market.
    Although I think right now, Sony is selling the PS3 at about the
    break-even point, meaning they're not losing money...but aren't making any
    either. Game consoles - which is what the Playstation is - make their
    money from the sales of games, not movies. So long as the sale of PS3
    games is also increasing along with PS3 console sales, Sony may be OK.
    However if too many people just buy the PS3 to use as a blu-ray player -
    and ONLY as a blu-ray player - Sony won't be making nearly as much money
    from those customers. The licensing fees Sony collects from a single sale
    of a PS3 game is far more than what Sony can collect from the licensing
    and sale of a single Blu-Ray movie.

    It would be rather odd, but not surprising, if the PS3 ended up near the
    top in terms of hardware sales, but near the bottom in terms of software
    sales.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 20, 2008
  17. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > It would be rather odd, but not surprising, if the PS3 ended up near the
    > top in terms of hardware sales, but near the bottom in terms of software
    > sales.

    In fact, it would be rather astonishing.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  18. Blig Merk

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-Violet Laser Diode and Blu-ray

    In alt.games.video.xbox Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    > movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    > trouble their sleep any?

    Sony makes more from the sale of the S300 vs. the sale of the PS3.
    They're also different departments, so while Sony's studios may make money
    from the sale of blu-ray discs, Sony's video game department loses money
    on the sale of the PS3, and then more money when the customer fails to buy
    any games for it.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 20, 2008
  19. Re: Sony and Nichia share over 800 basic patents for Blue-VioletLaser Diode and Blu-ray

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > In alt.games.video.xbox Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    >>movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    >>trouble their sleep any?

    > Sony makes more from the sale of the S300 vs. the sale of the PS3.
    > They're also different departments, so while Sony's studios may make money
    > from the sale of blu-ray discs, Sony's video game department loses money
    > on the sale of the PS3, and then more money when the customer fails to buy
    > any games for it.

    Um, let's ask a nice, smarmy and despicably insufferable question Doug:
    Just who WON the damn war, anyway? As in, "Who"?

    Samsung? Panasonic? The Sharp players we never got? Those LG
    dual-players (which they still intend to make)?
    How about the studios?...No, wait, as you point out, disks are
    meaningless unless there's something to play it on.
    Oh, wait, I know!--Maybe it was all those fine, cutting-edge Sony
    S300's, and their expert "Future of entertainment is here" craftsmanship!

    Hmm, well, we *know* it couldn't have been the PS3, because it flopped
    as a game machine.
    Gee, that's puzzling. Maybe nobody won the war. Maybe it never
    happened. ^_^

    Derek Janssen (whew, man, I'm worn out; this denial stuff's a workout,
    how do you manage it??)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008
  20. Blig Merk

    Tom Guest

    "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.games.video.xbox Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >> If you buy an S300 that doesn't work, or if you buy a PS3 that does, for
    >> movie-watching only, and play a Sony disk on either one, why should that
    >> trouble their sleep any?

    > Sony makes more from the sale of the S300 vs. the sale of the PS3.
    > They're also different departments, so while Sony's studios may make money
    > from the sale of blu-ray discs, Sony's video game department loses money
    > on the sale of the PS3, and then more money when the customer fails to buy
    > any games for it.

    But they are buying games for it Doug. If you go back just 5 months ago,
    the PS3 had only 2 games sell a million+ to that date and no other games
    over 500K. Now fast forward to now, and you have 8 game that sold a million+
    and a total of 20 games over 500K. How is this not selling games, even if
    they are cross-platform, the PS3 versions are still selling which is MAKING
    Sony money. Worldwide, the PS3 has been on par with the 360 in selling
    games, this with the fact that the 360 has a 7mil+ install base over the
    PS2. If the PS3 had the same sales totals in consoles, you wouldn't want to
    see the disparity. So tell everyone how Sony isn't selling games.
    Tom, Feb 20, 2008