    users to upgrade at the next product cycle I still do not understand how
    they mated such an otherwise brilliantly designed camera to such a cheap
    butt viewing system.
    bmoag, Sep 2, 2006

  2. You're correct, bmoag! My Alpha has turned out to be a sensational
    camera. Just tried it out on a cruise to the Bahamas. Some daylight,
    some night indoor time exposures, manual and auto, hand held and tripod.
    Super Steady Shot seems to work as advertised. Controls and menus are
    intuitive. Results are outstanding. Printed some of them out with a
    little Canon Selphy Pictbridge printer ($49) while on the cruise.
    Downloaded 150 10 meg images in less than a minute when I got home. To
    me, the thing about this camera is not the 10 Mp, but the hammer-quick,
    accurate autofocus that gives you the results every time. And kit lens
    is great.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 5, 2006

  3. In article <WNlKg.14034$%>, "bmoag"
    <> wrote:

    > If the D80 does not substantially improve on the execrable D70 viewfinder I
    > may just make the switch and offer some bargains on Ebay. The D70 is a
    > landmark camera in many ways but it is impossible to manually focus indoors
    > in normal lighting because the viewing image is too small and too frigging
    > dark even with an f1.8 lens.

    Bmoag-

    Your comments seem to be more of a slap at Nikon than praise of the Alpha.

    I bought my Alpha because I do have a collection of Minolta lenses. They
    all work well with it. It is a nice camera.

    On the other hand, it isn't any better than the Pentax *ist DS except for
    the number of pixels. I prefer the feel of the Pentax. I just don't have
    many lenses for Pentax yet.

    As far as image brightness, I was disappointed to find that Sony had lied
    about it having a prism. What they call a "Roof Mirror Type Pentaprism"
    is just a penta-mirror system. It works OK, but I wonder how much better
    it might have been with a real prism?

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Sep 5, 2006
  4. bmoag

    bmoag Guest

    Canon may make its own sensors but otherwise the sensors and electronics of
    current 6mp dSLRS are pretty much the same Sony stuff. Autofocus, lenses and
    brand cache are what distinguish these cameras from one another, if at all.
    There is no "better" camera between the Nikon and Pentax 6mp dSLR line-up.
    In fact many Pentax lenses outperform Nikon lenses and cost less.
    When the Sony 10mp sensor package is distributed through the various
    manufacturer product lines the situation will be the same.
    The Sony Alpha does not have a great focusing screen but compared to the
    tiny dim viewing screen of the D70 the Alpha is incomparably superior. Until
    the D80 hits the market I would prefer the Alpha to the D70 in this price
    class. I have lugged my D70 across three continents and shot tens of
    gigabytes of images with it, think it is one of the greatest cameras ever
    made, but its heavy and the viewfinder stinks.

    bmoag, Sep 5, 2006
  5. bmoag

    Guest

    Hi,
    I lucked out and got one of these alphas in trade for some work i did.
    I am new to digital photography and a novice at best in general. Can
    someone point me to a good book or website that will help me get the
    most out of this camera? any recomendations on lenses and accesories
    would be great. I plan on taking lots of close up stuff, landscapes
    and like being able to zoom in a decent amount.

    thanks,
    John
    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:26:30 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >I just played with one of these in a store.
    >If I did not have a closet full of Nikon lenses the temptation would be hard
    >to resist. I almost reached for my credit card anyway.
    >In fact I find it hard not to consider the Alpha and its kit lens the best
    >bang for the buck out there in the dSLR market.
    >Sony may finally be getting the knack of sophisticated camera design: I am
    >allowed to say this as I still have an 828.
    >If the D80 does not substantially improve on the execrable D70 viewfinder I
    >may just make the switch and offer some bargains on Ebay. The D70 is a
    >landmark camera in many ways but it is impossible to manually focus indoors
    >in normal lighting because the viewing image is too small and too frigging
    >dark even with an f1.8 lens. Unless Nikon had some long range plan to force
    >users to upgrade at the next product cycle I still do not understand how
    >they mated such an otherwise brilliantly designed camera to such a cheap
    >butt viewing system.

    , Oct 27, 2006
  6. bmoag

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I lucked out and got one of these alphas in trade for some work i
    > did. I am new to digital photography and a novice at best in
    > general. Can someone point me to a good book or website that will
    > help me get the most out of this camera? any recomendations on
    > lenses and accesories would be great. I plan on taking lots of close
    > up stuff, landscapes and like being able to zoom in a decent amount.
    >
    > thanks,
    > John
    > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:26:30 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    The first read is your cameras manual while trying all the effects you
    can. You will learn a surprising amount.
    --
    Neil
    reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
    Neil Ellwood, Oct 27, 2006