Sony Alpha DSLR A100 full dpreview

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    deryck lant, Aug 1, 2006

  2. deryck  lant

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Looks like a very nice cam! The dynamic range compression/optimization
    feature is very interesting.

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 1, 2006

  3. deryck  lant

    SkipM Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:31:58 +0100, deryck lant wrote:
    >
    >> Certainly very good value. The competition offered to Canon and Nikon
    >> will benefit all of us - the upcoming Nikon D80 being the first fruit of
    >> this.

    > How so? Wouldn't Nikon have started designing the D80 at least
    > two years ago, before Sony's plans were made known? Unless Nikon
    > has some well placed industrial spies, which I think unlikely. :)

    Well, since the Sony is probably not much more than a conscripted Minolta,
    Nikon may have had a clue as to what was coming down the pike, despite the
    impending name change.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    SkipM, Aug 1, 2006
  4. > Sony have announced
    > their intention
    > to be number 2 in the DSLR market.

    In quality, in sold device count or in Dollars ?

    Who would be number one ?

    -Michael
    Michael Schnell, Aug 1, 2006
  5. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <1nJzg.1$>
    from "Kinon O'Cann" <> contains these words:

    > Looks like a very nice cam! The dynamic range compression/optimization
    > feature is very interesting.

    > "deryck lant" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/
    > >
    > > In 2007 expect entry level and higher spec models. Sony have announced
    > > their intention
    > > to be number 2 in the DSLR market. Will be interesting when the pro
    > > models emerge.

    Certainly very good value. The competition offered to Canon and Nikon
    will benefit all of us - the upcoming Nikon D80 being the first fruit of this.

    The promised Zeiss lenses will make the future Sony pro models interesting
    to many.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 1, 2006
  6. deryck  lant

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Michael Schnell" <> wrote in message
    >> Sony have announced
    >> their intention
    >> to be number 2 in the DSLR market.

    > In quality, in sold device count or in Dollars ?
    >
    > Who would be number one ?

    Hmmm..... Let me guess...

    Canon?

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 1, 2006
  7. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <eao8mf$4vf$00$-online.com>
    from Michael Schnell <> contains
    these words:

    > > Sony have announced
    > > their intention
    > > to be number 2 in the DSLR market.

    > In quality, in sold device count or in Dollars ?

    > Who would be number one ?

    1. An interesting question.

    2. I'm sure marketing led Canon will claim to be number one.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 1, 2006
  8. "deryck lant" <> wrote:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/
    >
    > In 2007 expect entry level and higher spec models. Sony have announced
    > their intention
    > to be number 2 in the DSLR market. Will be interesting when the pro
    > models emerge.

    They're dreaming. In the real world, the fight is with Pentax for the far
    distant third position behind Nikon and Canon. The pro models might give
    them the chance in that fight. Maybe.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 2, 2006
  9. deryck  lant

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Aug 2, 2006
  10. deryck  lant

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:32:29 -0700, SkipM wrote:

    >>> Certainly very good value. The competition offered to Canon and Nikon
    >>> will benefit all of us - the upcoming Nikon D80 being the first fruit of
    >>> this.

    >> How so? Wouldn't Nikon have started designing the D80 at least
    >> two years ago, before Sony's plans were made known? Unless Nikon
    >> has some well placed industrial spies, which I think unlikely. :)
    >>

    > Well, since the Sony is probably not much more than a conscripted Minolta,
    > Nikon may have had a clue as to what was coming down the pike, despite the
    > impending name change.

    That's a possibility, but my point being that the D80 wouldn't be
    the fruit of Sony's acquisition of the Minolta line. Minolta's
    plans, even if known by Nikon, might have changed the direction of
    Nikon's plans or played a part in spurring the development of some
    products. But if the new Sony has an influence on Nikon's roadmap,
    it should be with products arriving after the D80.

    BTW, it's not clear what you meant by Nikon having a clue as to
    what was coming down the pike. Were you referring to Minolta's
    product development, or that they would let Sony take over the
    camera part of their business? My response assumes the former,
    because I doubt that even Sony or Minolta would have known for sure
    two years ago how the two companies' relationships would change.
    ASAAR, Aug 2, 2006
  11. deryck  lant

    Pete D Guest

    > "deryck lant" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/
    >>
    >> In 2007 expect entry level and higher spec models. Sony have announced
    >> their intention
    >> to be number 2 in the DSLR market. Will be interesting when the pro
    >> models emerge.

    > They're dreaming. In the real world, the fight is with Pentax for the far
    > distant third position behind Nikon and Canon. The pro models might give
    > them the chance in that fight. Maybe.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    The new Pentax 10MP better be at least as good as the A100 though.
    Pete D, Aug 2, 2006
  12. deryck  lant

    SMS Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "deryck lant" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/
    >>
    >> In 2007 expect entry level and higher spec models. Sony have announced
    >> their intention
    >> to be number 2 in the DSLR market. Will be interesting when the pro
    >> models emerge.

    > They're dreaming. In the real world, the fight is with Pentax for the far
    > distant third position behind Nikon and Canon. The pro models might give
    > them the chance in that fight. Maybe.

    Many people, who would never buy a pro model, still look at the
    availability of an upgrade path as on criteria when making a decision.

    Sony probably does have the marketing and distribution to displace
    Pentax as number three.

    Who knows? Maybe Sony will flood the market with low-cost SLRs and pass
    Nikon for the number two spot in terms of unit sales. Look at point and
    shoot cameras, where Kodak still leads Canon (in the U.S.). Sony was
    displaced by Canon for the number two spot in 2005, but Sony lead Canon
    in 2004. Kodak floods the market with low-cost, low-end point and shoot
    cameras, so they can claim the highest unit sales, but with a very low ASP.
    SMS, Aug 2, 2006
  13. deryck  lant

    SkipM Guest

    I'm guessing that the product turnaround is more on the order of a year or
    so, rather than months. So, I'd be willing to bet that the camera was in
    development somewhat before Sony and Konica were in negotiations. Maybe
    even before Konica took Minolta over...

    --
    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > SkipM wrote:
    >
    >>I was indeed referring to Minolta's product development, independent of
    >>any
    >>takeover by Sony. Sony's acquisition would have been incidental, at that
    >>point, to the actual camera that was produced, only influencing the name
    >>on
    >>the prism.

    > If I read you right - Sony and KM didn't do this without some
    > forethought. Sony knew long before we did that they were getting into
    > the DSLR market. It's quite conceivable they had been developing the
    > A100 for weeks or maybe months before we heard about KM dumping their
    > camera division into Sonys lap.
    >
    > Same goes for Nikons new model - they had been developing it for months
    > and I presume they moved up the announcement early to compete against
    > Sony.

    I LIKE that "creepy" pic. We get a lot of brides who want something off
    center. Mom, no, but the bride, yeah. CraigsList tends to bring the not so
    mainstream brides out, the conservative ones go to bridal shows, get
    referrals from friends, hang out at The Knot and Bridal Insider, look at
    magazines.

    SkipM, Aug 2, 2006
  15. deryck  lant

    SimonLW Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    >>> How so? Wouldn't Nikon have started designing the D80 at least
    >>> two years ago, before Sony's plans were made known? Unless Nikon
    >>> has some well placed industrial spies, which I think unlikely. :)
    >>>

    >> Well, since the Sony is probably not much more than a conscripted
    >> Minolta,
    >> Nikon may have had a clue as to what was coming down the pike, despite
    >> the
    >> impending name change.

    > That's a possibility, but my point being that the D80 wouldn't be
    > the fruit of Sony's acquisition of the Minolta line. Minolta's
    > plans, even if known by Nikon, might have changed the direction of
    > Nikon's plans or played a part in spurring the development of some
    > products. But if the new Sony has an influence on Nikon's roadmap,
    > it should be with products arriving after the D80.
    >
    > BTW, it's not clear what you meant by Nikon having a clue as to
    > what was coming down the pike. Were you referring to Minolta's
    > product development, or that they would let Sony take over the
    > camera part of their business? My response assumes the former,
    > because I doubt that even Sony or Minolta would have known for sure
    > two years ago how the two companies' relationships would change.

    Unless Nikon develops their own sensors or finds another supplier, it would
    seem that Sony could hold back sensor sales to Nikon and Pentax long enough
    get their SLR to the marketplace first to give them that advantage. It will
    be interesting to see how this relationship plays out.

    With Sony, and soon Nikon and Pentax with 10mp sub $1k (US) DSLRs in the
    marketplace I'm very interested in Canon's next move. I think the image
    quality is very good from my 6mp Rebel, I long for better resolution when
    doing some larger prints.
    -S
    SimonLW, Aug 2, 2006
  16. deryck  lant

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    SimonLW <> wrote:

    > Unless Nikon develops their own sensors or finds another supplier, it would
    > seem that Sony could hold back sensor sales to Nikon and Pentax long enough
    > get their SLR to the marketplace first to give them that advantage. It will
    > be interesting to see how this relationship plays out.

    That's why Nikon has been developing their own sensors, including CMOS,
    and why Pentax signed an technology-sharing agreement with Samsung.

    As to the Sony A100, I read the dpreview review, but failed to get excited,
    even though I own several good Minolta AF lenses. The A100 is quite heavy,
    costs more than I want to spend, is not full-frame, and 2 stops anti-shake
    is cancelled out by Canon CMOS's better performance at high ISO.

    Moreover the dpreview review did not test flash features, and Konica Minolta
    DSLR models (espcially the 5) are known to have poorly implemented flash
    features, so that area is a big unknown.

    Heck, Pentax DSLRs do TTL, so why can't everybody else? All this pre-flash
    nonsense makes accessory flash really difficult to use.
    Bill Tuthill, Aug 2, 2006
  17. deryck  lant

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:00:40 -0400, "SimonLW" <> wrote:

    >"ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, since the Sony is probably not much more than a conscripted
    >>> Minolta,
    >>> Nikon may have had a clue as to what was coming down the pike, despite
    >>> the
    >>> impending name change.

    >> That's a possibility, but my point being that the D80 wouldn't be
    >> the fruit of Sony's acquisition of the Minolta line. Minolta's
    >> plans, even if known by Nikon, might have changed the direction of
    >> Nikon's plans or played a part in spurring the development of some
    >> products. But if the new Sony has an influence on Nikon's roadmap,
    >> it should be with products arriving after the D80.
    >>
    >> BTW, it's not clear what you meant by Nikon having a clue as to
    >> what was coming down the pike. Were you referring to Minolta's
    >> product development, or that they would let Sony take over the
    >> camera part of their business? My response assumes the former,
    >> because I doubt that even Sony or Minolta would have known for sure
    >> two years ago how the two companies' relationships would change.
    >>

    >Unless Nikon develops their own sensors or finds another supplier, it would
    >seem that Sony could hold back sensor sales to Nikon and Pentax long enough
    >get their SLR to the marketplace first to give them that advantage. It will
    >be interesting to see how this relationship plays out.

    I would imagine that Nikon, being aware that they are reliant on Sony
    for their sensors in their DSLRs, would have taken that into account
    when contracting with Sony for those sensors. I would further imagine
    that those contracts contain clauses that allow Nikon access to new
    sensors as they become available, and Sony is required to supply them
    as they become available. Or something to that effect.

    >With Sony, and soon Nikon and Pentax with 10mp sub $1k (US) DSLRs in the
    >marketplace I'm very interested in Canon's next move. I think the image
    >quality is very good from my 6mp Rebel, I long for better resolution when
    >doing some larger prints.
    >-S

    I replaced my DRebel with a 30D; not so much for the extra 2mp, but
    for the instant-on and the larger LCD. For me, 8mp is enough for now.
    But I do wonder what Canon will do, given their penchant for low
    noise, which leads to lower pixel count than other DSLR makers offer.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 2, 2006
  18. deryck  lant

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:00:40 -0400, SimonLW wrote:

    > Unless Nikon develops their own sensors or finds another supplier, it would
    > seem that Sony could hold back sensor sales to Nikon and Pentax long enough
    > get their SLR to the marketplace first to give them that advantage. It will
    > be interesting to see how this relationship plays out.

    I think that Nikon does have some of their own sensors, but if
    they need another supplier or partner, I'd urge them to make a deal
    with Fuji. I believe that they were partners, more or less many
    years ago, at least with videocams.

    > With Sony, and soon Nikon and Pentax with 10mp sub $1k (US) DSLRs in the
    > marketplace I'm very interested in Canon's next move. I think the image
    > quality is very good from my 6mp Rebel, I long for better resolution when
    > doing some larger prints.

    Canon might say that they already have solutions for you. You
    just want to wait for one that costs less. :)
    ASAAR, Aug 3, 2006
  19. deryck  lant

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Aug 3, 2006
  20. deryck  lant

    John Turco Guest

    deryck lant wrote:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/
    >
    > In 2007 expect entry level and higher spec models. Sony have announced
    > their intention
    > to be number 2 in the DSLR market. Will be interesting when the pro
    > models emerge.
    >
    > Deryck

    Hello, Deryck:

    A steaming "number 2" position seems about Sony's speed, if you catch my
    meaning. <g>

    All kidding aside, I've never associated the company with especially
    high-quality products, and I'm not limiting such criticism to digital
    cameras, themselves. I think Panasonic has been the best, overall
    consumer electronics manufacturer, these past few decades.

    Just my personal opinions, of course. :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Aug 4, 2006