Sony Alpha 100 image samples to compare noise

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Digital Photography Now, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Digital Photography Now, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Digital Photography Now

    Jim Sant Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" <> wrote in message
    >I think Sony has done a very good job with the ten megapixel sensor. I've
    >posted 1:1 crops at 100 through to 1600 ISO here:
    >
    > http://dpnow.com/bb/dslr.pl?read=841

    It looks very noisy at 1600

    Jim Sant, Jun 10, 2006

  3. At 400, it's very usable. I was expecting it to be marginal with the
    increased pixel density. Are there any small-sensor DSLRs with
    out-of-the-camera JPEGs that aren't pretty noisy at ISO 1600? Even so, using
    Noise Ninja will make the Alpha 100 1600 ISO shots respectable, probably
    even better from RAW.

    My main complaint with the camera is a that its shutter/mirror mechanism is
    loud and unpleasant to hear. No SSM on the cheaper lenses (in fact very few
    lenses at all!) is also a major disadvantage to Canon and USM.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now, Jun 12, 2006