Sony A700 - Good and not so good points

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    A very quick review based on what is found on the dpreview site.

    A mix of very good and ordinary. I'll wait for the A900 (or A9, or
    whatever they call the "real" camera).

    At least here the shutter speed is decent and the x-sync is in "pro"
    territory again. Decent ISO (and hopefully usable).

    Claim of 4 stops of shake reduction.

    CMOS ... and a new "A/D on every row" design... could be a low noise boon.

    Looks like they've gone back to an IR focus assist instead of the
    idiotic use of the flash in a soft strobe mode.

    Metal chassis.

    Front and rear control dial for A and S.

    No sign of the stupid locks on the mode dial.

    WHERE THE HELL ARE THE EXP COMP DIALS? If this has been menu
    ======================================
    buried then this camera is definitely not for me.

    DOF preview button is awkwardly positioned (like on the 7D).

    I'm afraid they may have dumbed down the WB. I hope not.

    No live preview.

    No indication to date of shutter lag. It's about 100 - 150 ms on the 7D
    .... hope they gat back to the 50ms range soon...

    Interesting that they show a Minolta 50 f/1.4 A-mount on the dpreview site:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/SonyDSLRA700/images/flopflopb.jpg

    I'll sit this one out... but then I already said I would. Let's see the
    "9" class machine.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Alan Browne

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Alan Browne

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    > What is this DSLR going to cost? Guess they haven't decided yet.
    > The promised 70-300/4.5-5.6 SSM G zoom lens is interesting.

    The Imaging Resources preview says $1400, whew! That's a lotta money.
    I don't have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) quite that bad.

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1189051290.html

    It's hard to say whether pictures from a Sony A700 would really be
    that much better than those from a $400 Fujifilm S8000fd. And note:
    that $400 price includes a 35mm-equivalent 27-486 lens.

    I found the dpreview.com preview quite daunting. So much BS about
    technology, it made me lose interest in the camera.

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 8, 2007
  4. Alan Browne

    ASAAR Guest

    On 7 Sep 2007 19:48:48 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > It's hard to say whether pictures from a Sony A700 would really be
    > that much better than those from a $400 Fujifilm S8000fd. And note:
    > that $400 price includes a 35mm-equivalent 27-486 lens.

    Really? Doesn't Fuji have several other P&S cameras that are
    superior to the S8000fd? I'd think that even those wouldn't be a
    match for Sony's A700, assuming that price wasn't a consideration.

    ASAAR, Sep 8, 2007
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:
    >> What is this DSLR going to cost? Guess they haven't decided yet.
    >> The promised 70-300/4.5-5.6 SSM G zoom lens is interesting.

    > The Imaging Resources preview says $1400, whew! That's a lotta money.
    > I don't have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) quite that bad.

    It will come down.

    The A900 (or "9" or whatever) will follow... that hopefully will be a
    kickbut spec... and more than $1400 I would guess.

    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1189051290.html
    >
    > It's hard to say whether pictures from a Sony A700 would really be
    > that much better than those from a $400 Fujifilm S8000fd. And note:
    > that $400 price includes a 35mm-equivalent 27-486 lens.

    > I found the dpreview.com preview quite daunting. So much BS about
    > technology, it made me lose interest in the camera.

    The AD on each row is a great idea that helps get this machine to ISO
    6400... technology does make things better.

    What sucks is the lack of exp comp dials for both available and flash
    light... there is an exp-comp button on the right... so they missed an
    opportunity to have the front dial control exp-comp and the rear dial
    control flash exp comp. Better yet, proper dials dedicated to each as
    on the Maxxum 9, 7, 7D and others. Minolta understood this very well.

    I'm really afraid Sony don't get it.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Sep 8, 2007
  6. Alan Browne

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    ASAAR <> wrote:

    >> It's hard to say whether pictures from a Sony A700 would really be
    >> that much better than those from a $400 Fujifilm S8000fd. And note:
    >> that $400 price includes a 35mm-equivalent 27-486 lens.

    > Really? Doesn't Fuji have several other P&S cameras that are
    > superior to the S8000fd? I'd think that even those wouldn't be a
    > match for Sony's A700, assuming that price wasn't a consideration.

    Well the S8000fd isn't out yet, and neither is the A700 except in
    preview form given to people guaranteed to write a glowing review,
    so who knows.

    But for a typical 4x6 print or especially a web image, I believe
    the better digicams (especially Fuji) are close to equalling DSLR.

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 8, 2007
  7. Alan Browne

    ASAAR Guest

    On 8 Sep 2007 11:12:22 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

    >>> It's hard to say whether pictures from a Sony A700 would really be
    >>> that much better than those from a $400 Fujifilm S8000fd. And note:
    >>> that $400 price includes a 35mm-equivalent 27-486 lens.

    >> Really? Doesn't Fuji have several other P&S cameras that are
    >> superior to the S8000fd? I'd think that even those wouldn't be a
    >> match for Sony's A700, assuming that price wasn't a consideration.

    > Well the S8000fd isn't out yet, and neither is the A700 except in
    > preview form given to people guaranteed to write a glowing review,
    > so who knows.
    >
    > But for a typical 4x6 print or especially a web image, I believe
    > the better digicams (especially Fuji) are close to equalling DSLR.

    With those newly added qualifiers, I guess that some of the DSLR's
    potential wouldn't often be utilized. I still don't see how a small
    (very) sensor P&S can be compared with a DSLR though. I know of
    only one person that got a DSLR just to shoot limited quality shots.

    If I upgrade my small sensor S5100 (1/2.5"), it would be to a Fuji
    that has a larger sensor, such as that used in the F31 and S6000fd.
    Other brands that have wide range zooms and IS have been available
    for quite some time, so the S8000fd isn't really offering anything
    new. In my opinion, it's just Fuji's way of taking two steps
    forward and one step back. I'd have been more impressed with the
    S8000fd if the ultra-wide zoom range was sacrificed somewhat in
    favor of a larger sensor. That's the camera that Fuji should have
    introduced a year or two ago.

    ASAAR, Sep 8, 2007