    just my unit that does this.
    Thanks,
    Rick

    RG1202, Jan 22, 2004

  2. RG1202

    Rick Guest

    "RG1202" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Just received the 828 and noticed that when the lens stops down quickly (going
    > from bright scene to dark) you can hear the clicks of the lens. Never noticed
    > this in the 707 or any SLR for that matter. Any other owner hear it or is it
    > just my unit that does this.

    Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
    Our 717 is pretty much silent.

    Just out of curiosity, is this click audible on recorded movie clips?

    Rick, Jan 22, 2004

  3. RG1202

    John Eppley Guest

    I noticed the same noise. The clicking noise turned out to be the flash
    opening automatically. Enjoy the camera.

    John

    John Eppley, Jan 22, 2004
  4. RG1202

    Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 14:22:12 GMT, (RG1202) wrote:

    >Just received the 828 and noticed that when the lens stops down

    quickly (going
    >from bright scene to dark) you can hear the clicks of the lens. Never

    noticed
    >this in the 707 or any SLR for that matter. Any other owner hear it

    or is it
    >just my unit that does this.
    >Thanks,
    >Rick

    Rick, what do you think of the photos produced by the 828?
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics

    , Jan 22, 2004
  5. RG1202

    RG1202 Guest

    >Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
    >Our 717 is pretty much silent.
    >
    >Just out of curiosity, is this click audible on recorded movie clips?

    Its not the zoom that clicks. Its the lens stopping down or opening up that
    does it. not sure what the technical term is. Not the shutter or the zoom
    though. The mechanical zoom is one of the reasons I went to the 828. Much
    nicer. Anyway, I just tried a couple of movies with the light quickly changing
    and you do not hear the lens click in the movie replay OR while you are taking
    the movie. Only hear it while in still picture mode!!

    RG1202, Jan 22, 2004
  6. RG1202

    RG1202 Guest

    >I noticed the same noise. The clicking noise turned out to be the flash
    >opening automatically. Enjoy the camera.

    Thanks John, but its not the flash. You can definitely hear the flash opening
    up, but the 828 is MUCH smoother and quiter than the 707's auto flash.

    Rick

    RG1202, Jan 22, 2004
  7. RG1202

    RG1202 Guest

    >Rick, what do you think of the photos produced by the 828?

    Have not had a chance to put it to use. Just some throw away shots learning the
    controls. I'll report back after I get some serious use in to it.

    Rick

    RG1202, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Rick writes:

    > Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
    > Our 717 is pretty much silent.

    I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the lens
    and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic zoom"?

    Richard J Kinch, Jan 23, 2004
  9. "Richard J Kinch" <> wrote in message
    > Rick writes:
    >
    > > Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
    > > Our 717 is pretty much silent.

    > I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the

    lens
    > and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic

    zoom"?

    I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
    driven by pressing a switch.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2004
  10. RG1202

    Rick Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in message
    > "Richard J Kinch" <> wrote in message
    > > Rick writes:
    > >
    > > > Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
    > > > Our 717 is pretty much silent.

    > > I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the

    > lens
    > > and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic

    > zoom"?
    >
    > I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
    > driven by pressing a switch.

    Yes.

    Rick, Jan 23, 2004
  11. RG1202

    RG1202 Guest

    >> > I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the

    >> lens
    >> > and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic

    >> zoom"?
    >>
    >> I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
    >> driven by pressing a switch.

    >Yes.

    Agree. Except still does not addess my initial question. The clicking noise
    when the aperture changes. First camera I have had that is audible like that.
    Any other 828 owners have the same audible click from the aperture changing, or
    is this one possibly defective?
    Thanks

    RG1202, Jan 23, 2004
  12. RG1202

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (RG1202) wrote:

    > >> lens
    > >> zoom"?
    > >>
    > >> I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
    > >> driven by pressing a switch.

    > >Yes.
    > >

    > Agree. Except still does not addess my initial question. The clicking noise
    > when the aperture changes. First camera I have had that is audible like that.
    > Any other 828 owners have the same audible click from the aperture changing,
    > or
    > is this one possibly defective?
    > Thanks

    My 828 makes no noise when changing apertures. Shouldn't you be asking
    Sony about this rather then us?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 24, 2004
  13. RG1202

    RG1202 Guest

    >My 828 makes no noise when changing apertures. Shouldn't you be asking
    >Sony about this rather then us?

    I have emailed them about it. No answer as of yet.
    Thanks,
    Rick

    RG1202, Jan 25, 2004
  14. RG1202

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (RG1202) wrote:

    > >My 828 makes no noise when changing apertures. Shouldn't you be asking
    > >Sony about this rather then us?

    > I have emailed them about it. No answer as of yet.
    > Thanks,
    > Rick

    I would call them and get an answer while on the phone.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 25, 2004