    --
    Best regards,
    Chris.

    Chris Wilson, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Chris Wilson <> writes:

    > I have an old Vivitar 550FD external flash, can I use it with my Sony
    > DSC-F717? If so, what mode should I set the flash unit to? Thanks.

    According to

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    It has between 4 and 10 volts that goes through the flash terminal. It depends
    on what is the safe value for the Sony (6 volts is the safe value for Canons,
    12 volts is the safe value for some Nikons, and 24 volts is the ISO standard).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Chris Wilson

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Chris Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old Vivitar 550FD external flash, can I use it with my Sony
    > DSC-F717? If so, what mode should I set the flash unit to? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Chris.

    I have a Sony 707 and am told by Sony that you can use only their own
    proprietary external flash. The connector is nonstandard in any case.
    Perhaps the 717 is different, which would be a big plus.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken, Dec 22, 2003
  4. "Peter Aitken" <> writes:

    > "Chris Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an old Vivitar 550FD external flash, can I use it with my Sony
    > > DSC-F717? If so, what mode should I set the flash unit to? Thanks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Chris.

    > I have a Sony 707 and am told by Sony that you can use only their own
    > proprietary external flash. The connector is nonstandard in any case.
    > Perhaps the 717 is different, which would be a big plus.

    I believe the 717 has a standard hot-shoe in addition to the Sony connector
    that the 707 uses.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Chris Wilson

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <auIFb.160494$dl.7296015
    @twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    says...
    > I have a Sony 707 and am told by Sony that you can use only their own
    > proprietary external flash. The connector is nonstandard in any case.
    > Perhaps the 717 is different, which would be a big plus.
    >

    > --
    > Peter Aitken
    >
    > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

    I have used flash units from Toshiba, Minolta, and
    Vivitar on my 717.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Chris Wilson

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <auIFb.160494$>,
    says...
    > I have a Sony 707 and am told by Sony that you can use only their own
    > proprietary external flash. The connector is nonstandard in any case.
    > Perhaps the 717 is different, which would be a big plus.

    Yes the 717 is different. It has a standard hotshoe in addition to the
    proprietary Sony connector.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Chris Wilson

    Max Burke Guest

    > Chris Wilson wrote
    > I have an old Vivitar 550FD external flash, can I use it with my
    > Sony DSC-F717? If so, what mode should I set the flash unit to?
    > Thanks.

    You need to find out what the trigger voltage is for the flash *BEFORE*
    using it on your '717
    If it's higher than the maximum trigger voltage the '717 can take then you
    run the likely risk of frying the camera's electronics...
    The trigger voltage for the '717 is 6V and this flash is apparently 8V.....

    try this web page;
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz