Sonicwall Firewall and AS5200

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AC, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. AC

    AC Guest

    I have a problem with a customer connecting to our AS5200. I don't think
    it's really my problem at all, but he's making angry noises.

    Basically, this is a Sonicwall TZ170SP, which has a modem built-in which
    can, with PPP, act as a WAN port. Now he's dialing up, gets the right IP,
    DNS and gateway, but he cannot ping the PPP-assigned dynamic adderss, cannot
    ping any other address on that subnet (including our DNS servers, mail
    server, etc) but can ping machines on our other subnet or in the outside
    world. The routing table is pointing 0.0.0.0/0 to the AS5200, which I'm
    fairly certain is correct.

    He says he can dial the unit up to another provider and it works. I've *nix
    boxes, game consoles, routers, Windows, MAC and heaven knows what else
    dialing in, and I've never seen a problem like this. What's more, I'm
    showing on our router that when he does try to get out to the outside world
    and it works, our router indicates that the dynamic address is trying to
    send stuff to some outside 150.* address that he says was an old internal
    address.

    As I said, I've never seen the problem before. PPP is as straightforward a
    protocol as I've seen, and with the exception of the odd Win98 box with
    hooped networking, it never fails. Any ideas on this one?

    AC, Apr 18, 2005

  2. AC

    AC Guest

    On 18 Apr 2005 21:56:19 GMT,
    AC <> wrote:
    > I have a problem with a customer connecting to our AS5200. I don't think
    > it's really my problem at all, but he's making angry noises.
    >
    > Basically, this is a Sonicwall TZ170SP, which has a modem built-in which
    > can, with PPP, act as a WAN port. Now he's dialing up, gets the right IP,
    > DNS and gateway, but he cannot ping the PPP-assigned dynamic adderss, cannot
    > ping any other address on that subnet (including our DNS servers, mail
    > server, etc) but can ping machines on our other subnet or in the outside
    > world. The routing table is pointing 0.0.0.0/0 to the AS5200, which I'm
    > fairly certain is correct.
    >
    > He says he can dial the unit up to another provider and it works. I've *nix
    > boxes, game consoles, routers, Windows, MAC and heaven knows what else
    > dialing in, and I've never seen a problem like this. What's more, I'm
    > showing on our router that when he does try to get out to the outside world
    > and it works, our router indicates that the dynamic address is trying to
    > send stuff to some outside 150.* address that he says was an old internal
    > address.
    >
    > As I said, I've never seen the problem before. PPP is as straightforward a
    > protocol as I've seen, and with the exception of the odd Win98 box with
    > hooped networking, it never fails. Any ideas on this one?

    No ideas on this one?

    AC, Apr 21, 2005