    alacart and they just had to mention that "Oh but ppl with children might
    have to pay more for kid oriented stuff and thats not fair. Think of the
    children", which to me is very fair.
    Bratboy, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    news:438d993e$0$5713$...
    >I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor
    >back a bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info
    >wise, in some time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground?

    Nothing came of it.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor
    >>back a bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info
    >>wise, in some time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground?

    > Nothing came of it.

    OTOH--What we know since the rumor is:
    A) Several of Disney's board members (including Sidney Poitier) who were
    against release up until now have since retired,
    B) Disney has long since abandoned public theatrical re-releases, now
    that prestige/restored 2-DVD sets are their most profitable cash-cow,
    C) The Disney exec responsible for the "controversial" WWII-propaganda
    DVD set has gone on record as claiming collectors' sales helped cinch
    his pro-Song arguments with the front office,
    and, as if you hadn't guessed,
    D) the movie's 60th Anniversary (1946) comes up next year.
    (We were supposed to get a restored theater print for '96, but, well...)

    As for other news (geez, dontcha people even READ JimHillMedia.com??),
    the original news item from February:
    http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1313
    and some historical background:
    http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1741

    Derek Janssen (who's formulating his *own* betting odds, thank you)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 30, 2005
  4. "Bratboy" <> wrote:

    > I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor back a
    > bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info wise, in some
    > time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground? Don't know about
    > anyone else but Im damned tired of the stupid mantra "think of the children"
    > we have to put up with. Sorry for the mini rant but am so fed up with this.
    > Why must I be forced to allow children, which I choose not to have, control
    > MY life and veiwing pleasure? Then again I never have understood the whole
    > tax breaks if you have kids deal either. Seems to me they, the parents, had
    > the fun of creating & its their creations that need things taxes pay for so
    > why should they get a break instead of me? Why should I get a heavier tax
    > burden when I CHOOSE to not burden the status quo by increasing the surplus
    > population? Why are my choices limited because of someone elses children
    > just might see it. Again sorry for rant, just saw a report on the cable
    > alacart and they just had to mention that "Oh but ppl with children might
    > have to pay more for kid oriented stuff and thats not fair. Think of the
    > children", which to me is very fair.

    This is a RACIST movie, i've seen it. Now I know why the Klan used it
    for recruitment rallies. Zip-a-da-doo-day is definitely designed to
    incite hatred of African Americans, and the "harmless" old man in
    the cabin was designed to encourage abuse of boys, and the rebound
    attacks of whites on blacks, a frightening situation. walt disney must
    be burning in hell for his crimes. And showing Blacks with a redneck
    accent is the ultimate offense.
    Walter Traprock, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    >> Nothing came of it.

    > OTOH--What we know since the rumor is:
    > A) Several of Disney's board members (including Sidney Poitier) who
    > were against release up until now have since retired,
    > B) Disney has long since abandoned public theatrical re-releases, now
    > that prestige/restored 2-DVD sets are their most profitable cash-cow,
    > C) The Disney exec responsible for the "controversial" WWII-propaganda
    > DVD set has gone on record as claiming collectors' sales helped cinch
    > his pro-Song arguments with the front office,
    > and, as if you hadn't guessed,
    > D) the movie's 60th Anniversary (1946) comes up next year.
    > (We were supposed to get a restored theater print for '96, but,
    > well...)

    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Bratboy

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor back a
    >bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info wise, in some
    >time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground? Don't know about
    >anyone else but Im damned tired of the stupid mantra "think of the
    >children" we have to put up with. Sorry for the mini rant but am so fed up
    >with this. Why must I be forced to allow children, which I choose not to
    >have, control MY life and veiwing pleasure? Then again I never have
    >understood the whole tax breaks if you have kids deal either. Seems to me
    >they, the parents, had the fun of creating & its their creations that need
    >things taxes pay for so why should they get a break instead of me? Why
    >should I get a heavier tax burden when I CHOOSE to not burden the status
    >quo by increasing the surplus population? Why are my choices limited
    >because of someone elses children just might see it. Again sorry for rant,
    >just saw a report on the cable alacart and they just had to mention that
    >"Oh but ppl with children might have to pay more for kid oriented stuff and
    >thats not fair. Think of the children", which to me is very fair.

    They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
    that we can view it in its historical context.

    BTW, thanks for subsidizing my children.

    ....Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message

    > They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
    > that we can view it in its historical context.
    >
    > BTW, thanks for subsidizing my children.
    >
    > ...Curtin/Dobbs

    Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    perspective. As for the other, your welcome, hehe. At least someone said
    thanks. Can you really blame me for being fustraited sometimes tho? Wheres
    my tax cut or deduction for NOT having any kids, hehe
    Bratboy, Dec 1, 2005
  8. On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
    <> wrote:

    >> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
    >> that we can view it in its historical context.

    >Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >perspective.

    The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he? I mean, nobody actually takes
    Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    isn't it?

    Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
    tell us what is GoodThink?
    Kimba W. Lion, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film
    >>> so
    >>> that we can view it in its historical context.

    >>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>perspective.

    > The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he? I mean, nobody actually takes
    > Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    > they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    > isn't it?
    >
    > Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
    > tell us what is GoodThink?

    No intro, a humorous intro by Whoopie or whatever I would just like to see
    this released. Only reason I thought Whoopie might actually be good is she
    could use her humor.
    Bratboy, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Bratboy

    John Howells Guest

    "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote

    > That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    > they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,

    They do *NOT* force you to watch that part.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Kimba W. Lion wrote:

    > On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
    >>>that we can view it in its historical context.

    >>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>perspective.

    > The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

    (Well, he was, given Whoopi's legendary race-paranoia, but then, we ARE
    talking about the studio that's kept Whoopi as a personal pet ever since
    they thought we liked "Sister Act"...)

    > I mean, nobody actually takes
    > Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs

    (Which, ironically, haven't even *had* any black-depiction toons yet,
    and only originally put the disclaimers on for the German/Japanese WWII
    toons...)

    > they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    > isn't it?

    Actually, as noted in the JHM article (which I guess NOBODY READ!!),
    Disney *is* trying to go for the "Historical Context" angle, which's how
    we originally got that animated "John Henry" short which was going to
    show with the '96 revival that never happened--

    Back then, James Earl Jones was tapped to do the "Joel Chandler Harris
    is a rich black-cultural-legacy" bit, but supposedly they're now back to
    square one, and using Bill Cosby suddenly doesn't sound as hot an idea
    as it did a couple years ago....

    Derek Janssen (look, do I have to post the link again?...Do I??)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Bratboy

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:36:07 +0000, Kimba W. Lion <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film so
    >>> that we can view it in its historical context.

    >>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>perspective.

    >The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he? I mean, nobody actually takes
    >Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    >they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    >isn't it?
    >
    >Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
    >tell us what is GoodThink?

    Without people like Goldberg(!) and Oprah, where would stupid white
    trash get their dimestore psychological advice?
    -Rich
    Rich, Dec 1, 2005
  13. Bratboy

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    > On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:48:39 -0700, "Bratboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> They should just have Whoopi Goldberg or Kanye West introduce the film
    >>> so
    >>> that we can view it in its historical context.

    >>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>perspective.

    > The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

    Yeah, I'll take the rap on that.

    I mean, nobody actually takes
    > Whoopi & company seriously, do they?

    Unfortunately, a lot of people do, John Kerry among them.

    I don't mind having contextual introductions for films or TV shows, it might
    help out some insensivitve, uneducated people and might get more product
    released for those of us who "get it" but want to see the films/TV shows,
    anyway. We shouldn't be held captive by cultural gatekeepers, however well
    meaning.

    That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    > they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    > isn't it?
    >
    > Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
    > tell us what is GoodThink?

    I guess we are. Why Whoopie? Why didn't they use someone respectable?

    ....Curtin/Dobbs
    Curtin/Dobbs, Dec 1, 2005
  14. Bratboy

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    > Kimba W. Lion wrote:

    >>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>>perspective.

    >> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

    > (Well, he was, given Whoopi's legendary race-paranoia, but then, we ARE
    > talking about the studio that's kept Whoopi as a personal pet ever since
    > they thought we liked "Sister Act"...)
    >
    >> I mean, nobody actually takes
    >> Whoopi & company seriously, do they? That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs

    > (Which, ironically, haven't even *had* any black-depiction toons yet

    Is "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves" on DVD, yet? The introduction on that
    would last longer than the actual cartoon, itself. The "danger" with "Coal
    Black...," and some other product, is that even though one can be sensitive
    to and cognizant of the fact that it traffics in stereotypes, it's still a
    funny and artistically inventive cartoon. What to do?

    ....Curtin/Dobbs

    ,

    Curtin/Dobbs, Dec 1, 2005
  15. Bratboy

    > "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Whoopie I could definitly agree on for introducing it from historical
    >>>perspective.

    >> The OP was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

    > Yeah, I'll take the rap on that.
    >
    > I mean, nobody actually takes
    >> Whoopi & company seriously, do they?

    > Unfortunately, a lot of people do, John Kerry among them.
    >
    > I don't mind having contextual introductions for films or TV shows, it
    > might help out some insensivitve, uneducated people and might get more
    > product released for those of us who "get it" but want to see the films/TV
    > shows, anyway. We shouldn't be held captive by cultural gatekeepers,
    > however well meaning.
    >
    > That's why on the Looney Tunes DVDs
    >> they FORCE you to sit through her apology for the dark ages of mankind,
    >> isn't it?
    >>
    >> Why are we in such bad shape that we need the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to
    >> tell us what is GoodThink?

    > I guess we are. Why Whoopie? Why didn't they use someone respectable?
    >

    > ...Curtin/Dobbs

    Who knows, maybe they liked how she did the voice for Gia in Capt Planet
    hehe
    Bratboy, Dec 1, 2005
  16. "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > Is "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves" on DVD, yet? The introduction on
    > that would last longer than the actual cartoon, itself. The "danger" with
    > "Coal Black...," and some other product, is that even though one can
    > be sensitive to and cognizant of the fact that it traffics in stereotypes,
    > it's still a funny and artistically inventive cartoon. What to do?

    Now that was the best Easter Egg of all time! It was on the bootleg _Song of
    the South_ DVD that is usually sold on eBay this time of year. (They make
    great Christmas gifts.) Although I can't remember how to get into it right
    now. It seems to me that you double-click on one of the Johnny Mercer titles
    in the juke box section. And what a great cartoon it is:

    Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs!!! That mean old queen had everything.
    (Judging from the hoards of tires, sugar and coffee that old gal had,
    I'd say that this cartoon was made around 1943-44.)

    This thing is a howl! And it's a Bob Clampett cartoon, no less, with a
    Johnny Mercer soundtrack that really bops!

    After drinking from her bottle of Eli Whitney Cotton Gin and eating from
    her box of Chattanooga Chew-Chews, the old queen sings "Magic mirror on
    the wall, send me a prince about six feet tall."

    And sure enough, that jitter-bugging, dope dealing pimp, "Prince
    Chawmin", shows up in his pimpmobile. Wearing a zoot suit with a belt in the
    back!. But So White gets his attention (he wants to add her to his stable of
    bitches) and this pisses off the old queen. So she calls Murder Inc. to
    black out So White. The side of the mob car reads:

    Murder Inc.
    We Rub Out Anyone $1.00
    Midgets -- 1/2 Price.
    Japs -- FREE

    At the end it says:

    Merrie Melodies
    "That's all Folks!"
    Produced by Leon Schlesinger
    Released by Warner Bros. Pictures Incorporated.

    But I don't remember this cartoon being on any of the Warner DVDs. Maybe
    they're saving the best for last.
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 2, 2005
  17. "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    > "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message

    > Now that was the best Easter Egg of all time! It was on the bootleg
    > _Song of the South_ DVD that is usually sold on eBay this time of year.
    > (They make great Christmas gifts.) Although I can't remember how to
    > get into it right now.

    I found the instructions. Put your _Song of the South_ DVD in the player and
    do the following to play _Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs_:

    From the Main Menu, highlight Extras and press Enter.

    Highlight "1946 Radio Plug With Johnny Mercer" and press Enter.

    Highlight the top right song title, "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" and
    press Enter.

    The cursor will drop to the bottom right item. Press the up key twice to
    highlight "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" again.

    Press Enter.

    _Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs_ will start playing.

    I just checked eBay and there are 6 pages of _Song of the South_ DVDs for
    sale. I can't promise that all of them have the Easter Egg of _Coal Black
    and de Sebben Dwarfs_ cartoon, but the two different ones I bought last year
    had it. Keep in mind that all of the DVDs are bootlegs and most likely made
    from PAL sources and then converted to NTSC. This means that they will be
    sped up by 4%. There was one NTSC LaserDisc which was released by Disney
    somewhere in the Orient which is the source material for some bootlegs and
    that might be worth paying a little extra.
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 2, 2005
  18. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    > Without people like Goldberg(!) and Oprah, where would
    > stupid white trash get their dimestore psychological advice?

    And if there's anyone who knows where stupid white trash
    would get their advice, it's Rich.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 3, 2005
  19. Bratboy

    Richard C. Guest

    "Walter Traprock" <> wrote in message
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering what the word was on SotS. I seem to recall a rumor back
    >> bit about Disney relenting and putting it out but nada, info wise, in
    >> some
    >> time. Is back on the shelf or never got off the ground? Don't know about
    >> anyone else but Im damned tired of the stupid mantra "think of the
    >> children"
    >> we have to put up with. Sorry for the mini rant but am so fed up with
    >> this.
    >> Why must I be forced to allow children, which I choose not to have,
    >> control
    >> MY life and veiwing pleasure? Then again I never have understood the
    >> whole
    >> tax breaks if you have kids deal either. Seems to me they, the parents,
    >> had
    >> the fun of creating & its their creations that need things taxes pay for
    >> so
    >> why should they get a break instead of me? Why should I get a heavier tax
    >> burden when I CHOOSE to not burden the status quo by increasing the
    >> surplus
    >> population? Why are my choices limited because of someone elses children
    >> just might see it. Again sorry for rant, just saw a report on the cable
    >> alacart and they just had to mention that "Oh but ppl with children might
    >> have to pay more for kid oriented stuff and thats not fair. Think of the
    >> children", which to me is very fair.

    > This is a RACIST movie, i've seen it. Now I know why the Klan used it
    > for recruitment rallies. Zip-a-da-doo-day is definitely designed to
    > incite hatred of African Americans, and the "harmless" old man in
    > the cabin was designed to encourage abuse of boys, and the rebound
    > attacks of whites on blacks, a frightening situation. walt disney must
    > be burning in hell for his crimes. And showing Blacks with a redneck
    > accent is the ultimate offense.

    I asume you are attempting humor?
    Richard C., Dec 17, 2005