somewhat different kind of network question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, May 7, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?

    I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    router?

    On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    speed connections.

    Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    using wireless NICs?

    Thanks.

    John
    John, May 7, 2007

  2. John

    Lem Guest

    John wrote:
    > Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?
    >
    > I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    > wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    > router?
    >
    > On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    > broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    > and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    > machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    > would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    > speed connections.
    >
    > Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    > using wireless NICs?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
    router. This is called an ad hoc connection. See

    Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
    broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
    share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
    That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, May 8, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    On May 7, 9:39 pm, Lem <> wrote:
    > John wrote:
    > > Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?

    > > I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    > > wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    > > router?

    > > On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    > > broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    > > and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    > > machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    > > would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    > > speed connections.

    > > Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    > > using wireless NICs?

    > > Thanks.

    > > John

    > You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
    > router. This is called an ad hoc connection. Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02a...
    >
    > Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
    > broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
    > share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
    > That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

    Thanks Lem, that is just what I was looking for.

    Much obliged for your time,

    John
    John, May 8, 2007
  4. John

    Lem Guest

    John wrote:
    > On May 7, 9:39 pm, Lem <> wrote:
    >> John wrote:
    >>> Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?
    >>> I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    >>> wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    >>> router?
    >>> On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    >>> broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    >>> and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    >>> machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    >>> would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    >>> speed connections.
    >>> Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    >>> using wireless NICs?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> John

    >> You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
    >> router. This is called an ad hoc connection. Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02a...
    >>
    >> Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
    >> broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
    >> share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
    >> That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

    > Thanks Lem, that is just what I was looking for.
    >
    > Much obliged for your time,
    >
    > John

    You're welcome.

    --