    FileMon and will leave that running to see if I can catch it. Thanks
    for any help!

    -tj

    timJ, Sep 10, 2004

  2. "timJ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Looking for a way to see what's starting the dialer every couple of days
    > on my 98se box, and connecting to my ISP. ZoneAlarm log doesn't show
    > anything outgoing, AVG and SpyBot find nothing. No apps have auto
    > update enabled. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now. Any reason
    > to suspect Real or QuickTime, which were recently updated? Just grabbed
    > FileMon and will leave that running to see if I can catch it. Thanks
    > for any help!

    Could possibly be an update triggering the dialup of your default
    connection. Live Update, Windows Update, etc.

    Rick

    Richard S. Westmoreland, Sep 10, 2004

  3. timJ

    AlanP Guest

    Richard S. Westmoreland wrote:
    > "timJ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Looking for a way to see what's starting the dialer every couple of days
    >>on my 98se box, and connecting to my ISP. ZoneAlarm log doesn't show
    >>anything outgoing, AVG and SpyBot find nothing. No apps have auto
    >>update enabled. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now. Any reason
    >>to suspect Real or QuickTime, which were recently updated? Just grabbed
    >>FileMon and will leave that running to see if I can catch it. Thanks
    >>for any help!

    > Could possibly be an update triggering the dialup of your default
    > connection. Live Update, Windows Update, etc.
    >
    > Rick

    Might even be ZoneAlarm updating itself...

    AlanP, Sep 10, 2004
  4. timJ

    timJ Guest

    AlanP expounded thusly:
    > Richard S. Westmoreland wrote:
    >
    >> "timJ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Looking for a way to see what's starting the dialer every couple
    >>> of days on my 98se box, and connecting to my ISP. ZoneAlarm log
    >>> doesn't show anything outgoing, AVG and SpyBot find nothing. No
    >>> apps have auto update enabled. It's been going on for about 2
    >>> weeks now. Any reason to suspect Real or QuickTime, which were
    >>> recently updated? Just grabbed FileMon and will leave that
    >>> running to see if I can catch it. Thanks for any help!

    >> Could possibly be an update triggering the dialup of your default
    >> connection. Live Update, Windows Update, etc.
    >>
    >> Rick

    > Might even be ZoneAlarm updating itself...

    Looks like that's it. FileMon showed the dialer starting right after
    ZoneAlarm activity so I switched to Sygate PF and the problem stopped.
    Any other tools I could have used to better catch what was going on?

    It was ZA 5.1, BTW. Is it common knowledge that, even with auto update
    turned off, and no messages coming up, that it will try to connect and
    even dial up your ISP itself? Until I caught it (it doesn't hang up
    when it's done), I had my dialup connect set to "connect automatically"
    figuring that my firewall would handle any problems - heh.

    -tj

    timJ, Sep 13, 2004
  5. timJ

    AlanP Guest

    timJ wrote:

    > AlanP expounded thusly:
    >
    >> Richard S. Westmoreland wrote:
    >>
    >>> "timJ" <> wrote in message

    >>> Could possibly be an update triggering the dialup of your default
    >>> connection. Live Update, Windows Update, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Rick

    >> Might even be ZoneAlarm updating itself...

    > Looks like that's it. FileMon showed the dialer starting right after
    > ZoneAlarm activity so I switched to Sygate PF and the problem stopped.
    > Any other tools I could have used to better catch what was going on?
    >
    > It was ZA 5.1, BTW. Is it common knowledge that, even with auto update
    > turned off, and no messages coming up, that it will try to connect and
    > even dial up your ISP itself? Until I caught it (it doesn't hang up
    > when it's done), I had my dialup connect set to "connect automatically"
    > figuring that my firewall would handle any problems - heh.
    >
    > -tj

    It might have a 'resolve address' option where it converts an IP
    (64.4.33.7 for example) to a human-readable address (www.hotmail.com).
    To do this it will need to dial out and contact a DNS server

    AlanP, Sep 14, 2004