    either near absent or absent in other camera images. I know the Fuji
    doesn't have an AA filter and it has an unusual sensor, so could it be
    some kind of moire?

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/25

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012

  3. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 29/06/2012 3:19 p.m., Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-06-28 20:09:33 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> On Jun 28, 11:08 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    >> wrote:

    >> at
    >>>
    >>> I don't see what yellow streaks you are referring too in the Fuji image.
    >>> I zoomed in on the upper face of the queen of hearts, Nothing.
    >>> Then I checked the lower face, again nothing.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Savageduck

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/25

    > Yup! that was the page I checked. The only yellow I see is the yellow in
    > the card design, no streaks in either of the Queen faces.
    > I even checked my display calibration, and still have no yellow streak.

    I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card. And
    yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.

    Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    DPReview to find this stuff.

    Me, Jun 29, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 29, 12:45 am, Me <> wrote:
    > On 29/06/2012 3:19 p.m., Savageduck wrote:
    >

    > > On 2012-06-28 20:09:33 -0700, RichA <> said:

    > >> at

    > >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/25

    > > Yup! that was the page I checked. The only yellow I see is the yellow in
    > > the card design, no streaks in either of the Queen faces.
    > > I even checked my display calibration, and still have no yellow streak.

    > I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card.  And
    > yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    > But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    > yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    > queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.
    >
    > Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    > DPReview to find this stuff.

    No, I mean the Canadian money image. I'll check it on another
    computer to be sure. It didn't take long to see. In that scene, I
    usually look at the money and the clock.

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 28, 11:19 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-06-28 20:09:33 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >

    > > On Jun 28, 11:08 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > > wrote:

    > > at

    > >> I don't see what yellow streaks you are referring too in the Fuji image.
    > >> I zoomed in on the upper face of the queen of hearts, Nothing.
    > >> Then I checked the lower face, again nothing.

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,

    > >> Savageduck

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/25

    > Yup! that was the page I checked. The only yellow I see is the yellow
    > in the card design, no streaks in either of the Queen faces.
    > I even checked my display calibration, and still have no yellow streak.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I cropped the image out. This is a piece of the JPEG image, the RAW
    shows it too, at 200-1600 ISO anyway.

    Now, the yellow bands run diagonally from left top to right bottom,
    across the hair and face. They appear (depending on your monitor
    size) about 1cm wide.

    http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/144390852

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  6. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 29/06/2012 5:08 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 12:45 am, Me <> wrote:

    >>> Yup! that was the page I checked. The only yellow I see is the yellow in
    >>> the card design, no streaks in either of the Queen faces.
    >>> I even checked my display calibration, and still have no yellow streak.

    >> I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card. And
    >> yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    >> But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    >> yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    >> queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.
    >>
    >> Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    >> DPReview to find this stuff.

    > No, I mean the Canadian money image. I'll check it on another
    > computer to be sure. It didn't take long to see. In that scene, I
    > usually look at the money and the clock.

    That's what I was referring to - look at the NEX 7 image of the guy at
    the other end of the note. Same yellow bands.
    He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    famous Canadian?
    You Canadians also need to update the picture of the queen, she's much
    more shrunken and wrinkly these days, the dear old soul.

    Me, Jun 29, 2012
  7. RichA

    Apteryx Guest

    On 29/06/2012 5:54 p.m., Me wrote:

    > He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    > famous Canadian?

    William Shatner

    Apteryx

    Apteryx, Jun 29, 2012
  8. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 29/06/2012 8:20 p.m., Apteryx wrote:
    > On 29/06/2012 5:54 p.m., Me wrote:
    >
    >> He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    >> famous Canadian?

    > William Shatner

    Thank you.
    That's not him on the Banknote - is it?

    Me, Jun 29, 2012
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jun 29, 12:45 am, Me <> wrote:

    >> > Yup! that was the page I checked. The only yellow I see is the yellow in
    >> > the card design, no streaks in either of the Queen faces.
    >> > I even checked my display calibration, and still have no yellow streak.

    >> I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card.  And
    >> yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    >> But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    >> yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    >> queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.
    >>
    >> Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    >> DPReview to find this stuff.

    >No, I mean the Canadian money image. I'll check it on another
    >computer to be sure. It didn't take long to see. In that scene, I
    >usually look at the money and the clock.

    I agree the yellow banding is clearly visible on the Queen's image
    from a banknote.

    However, if you read the text on the same page, the reviewer suggests
    that processing the image in Adobe Camera Raw may be sub-optimal:

    "Using our standard processing, with Adobe Camera Raw's noise
    reduction set to a minimum, the X-Pro1's images look distinctly
    different to those from Bayer sensor cameras, and specifically show
    much lower chroma noise. This means that direct comparisons have to be
    treated with caution; in effect the demosaicing required by the
    X-Trans CMOS sensor includes a degree of chroma NR. ACR also shows
    processing artefacts in various areas of the image, and can't match
    the camera's JPEGs in rendering some of the very finest detail, for
    example on the banknotes."

    Bruce, Jun 29, 2012
  10. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, June 29, 2012 6:08:38 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:

    > , I
    > usually look at the money and the clock.

    Makes you sound like a Prostitute ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Jun 29, 2012
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 29, 6:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card.  And
    > >> yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    > >> But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    > >> yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    > >> queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.

    > >> Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    > >> DPReview to find this stuff.

    > >No, I mean the Canadian money image.  I'll check it on another
    > >computer to be sure.  It didn't take long to see.  In that scene, I
    > >usually look at the money and the clock.

    > I agree the yellow banding is clearly visible on the Queen's image
    > from a banknote.
    >
    > However, if you read the text on the same page, the reviewer suggests
    > that processing the image in Adobe Camera Raw may be sub-optimal:
    >
    > "Using our standard processing, with Adobe Camera Raw's noise
    > reduction set to a minimum, the X-Pro1's images look distinctly
    > different to those from Bayer sensor cameras, and specifically show
    > much lower chroma noise. This means that direct comparisons have to be
    > treated with caution; in effect the demosaicing required by the
    > X-Trans CMOS sensor includes a degree of chroma NR. ACR also shows
    > processing artefacts in various areas of the image, and can't match
    > the camera's JPEGs in rendering some of the very finest detail, for
    > example on the banknotes."

    Kind of odd that it manifests as a geometric pattern instead of random
    "noise" but I guess anything is possible?

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 29, 2:38 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2012-06-28 23:05:45 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>said:
    >

    > > On 2012-06-28 22:21:42 -0700, RichA <> said:

    > >> e.

    > >> I cropped the image out.  This is a piece of the JPEG image, the RAW
    > >> shows it too, at 200-1600 ISO anyway.

    > >> Now,  the yellow bands run diagonally from left top to right bottom,
    > >> across the hair and face.  They appear (depending on your monitor
    > >> size) about 1cm wide.

    > >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/144390852

    > > When you said Queen, the only Queen I could readily ID was the Queen ofHearts.

    > > Looking at the image on the bank note I see the image of a woman, but I
    > > can't ID her as any Queen of England I am familiar with. Are you sure
    > > that is a Canadian bank note? It certainly isn't Vicky or Liz-2 at any
    > > age. The choker type medallion is not the sort of thing the current
    > > resident of the throne would typically decorate herself with. I would
    > > suggest some other Victorian/Edwardian era female. I first thought
    > > perhaps Marie Curie, but she is not a match.

    > > That said there is certainly a yellow tint in what I believe is an
    > > anti-counterfeiting feature of that particular note. I can see it in
    > > all the images. I don't believe the yellow is going to disappear in any
    > > test image.

    > Damn! I am a researching fool!
    >
    > The bank note is not Canadian, and the image is not a Queen, but an
    > educator. It is a 1000 Lira bank of Italy note honoring Maria
    > Montessori.

    Ha ha ha! That I did not realize!

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 29, 8:26 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > On Friday, June 29, 2012 6:08:38 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    > > , I
    > > usually look at the money and the clock.

    > Makes you sound like a Prostitute  ;-)

    For that, I'd have to be working for Dpreview. :)

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 29, 6:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> I think he means the statue like image of the queen, not the card.  And
    > >> yes, it looks like some kind of moire effect to me.
    > >> But perhaps not due the weird sensor, as exactly the same kind of
    > >> yellowish banding can be seen on the roman (?) chap to the left of the
    > >> queen in the Sony NEX 7 Image.

    > >> Rich must spend an awful lot of time going through these samples on
    > >> DPReview to find this stuff.

    > >No, I mean the Canadian money image.  I'll check it on another
    > >computer to be sure.  It didn't take long to see.  In that scene, I
    > >usually look at the money and the clock.

    > I agree the yellow banding is clearly visible on the Queen's image
    > from a banknote.
    >
    > However, if you read the text on the same page, the reviewer suggests
    > that processing the image in Adobe Camera Raw may be sub-optimal:
    >
    > "Using our standard processing, with Adobe Camera Raw's noise
    > reduction set to a minimum, the X-Pro1's images look distinctly
    > different to those from Bayer sensor cameras, and specifically show
    > much lower chroma noise. This means that direct comparisons have to be
    > treated with caution; in effect the demosaicing required by the
    > X-Trans CMOS sensor includes a degree of chroma NR. ACR also shows
    > processing artefacts in various areas of the image, and can't match
    > the camera's JPEGs in rendering some of the very finest detail, for
    > example on the banknotes."

    Anyway, I tried a number of other cameras on that comparison tool,
    didn't see the same effect. I guess the users of Fuji are going to
    have to experiment a lot with other raw processors.

    RichA, Jun 29, 2012
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:38:26 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-06-28 23:05:45 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2012-06-28 22:21:42 -0700, RichA <> said:

    >>> e.

    >>> I cropped the image out. This is a piece of the JPEG image, the RAW
    >>> shows it too, at 200-1600 ISO anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Now, the yellow bands run diagonally from left top to right bottom,
    >>> across the hair and face. They appear (depending on your monitor
    >>> size) about 1cm wide.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/144390852

    >> When you said Queen, the only Queen I could readily ID was the Queen of Hearts.
    >>
    >> Looking at the image on the bank note I see the image of a woman, but I
    >> can't ID her as any Queen of England I am familiar with. Are you sure
    >> that is a Canadian bank note? It certainly isn't Vicky or Liz-2 at any
    >> age. The choker type medallion is not the sort of thing the current
    >> resident of the throne would typically decorate herself with. I would
    >> suggest some other Victorian/Edwardian era female. I first thought
    >> perhaps Marie Curie, but she is not a match.
    >>
    >> That said there is certainly a yellow tint in what I believe is an
    >> anti-counterfeiting feature of that particular note. I can see it in
    >> all the images. I don't believe the yellow is going to disappear in any
    >> test image.

    >Damn! I am a researching fool!
    >
    >The bank note is not Canadian, and the image is not a Queen, but an
    >educator. It is a 1000 Lira bank of Italy note honoring Maria
    >Montessori.

    I did some Google snooping before I read this (using Gio Pino as a
    search term) and found the 1,000 note too. Maria was the first woman
    in Italy to qualify as a physician. The back of the note honors
    teachers with a more modern image.

    http://www.banknotebank.com/note/932592

    Maria seems to have contracted jaundice.

    I would have said that saying Maria was an educator was wrong, but
    Floyd would consider that a "profession flame", and we don't want to
    stir Floyd up, do we?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jun 29, 2012
  16. "Me" wrote in message news:jsjfts$osu$...
    []
    He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    famous Canadian?
    ===============================

    The Villeneuve racing drivers, perhaps?

    David J Taylor, Jun 29, 2012
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Jun 29, 6:28 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> However, if you read the text on the same page, the reviewer suggests
    >> that processing the image in Adobe Camera Raw may be sub-optimal:
    >>
    >> "Using our standard processing, with Adobe Camera Raw's noise
    >> reduction set to a minimum, the X-Pro1's images look distinctly
    >> different to those from Bayer sensor cameras, and specifically show
    >> much lower chroma noise. This means that direct comparisons have to be
    >> treated with caution; in effect the demosaicing required by the
    >> X-Trans CMOS sensor includes a degree of chroma NR. ACR also shows
    >> processing artefacts in various areas of the image, and can't match
    >> the camera's JPEGs in rendering some of the very finest detail, for
    >> example on the banknotes."

    >Kind of odd that it manifests as a geometric pattern instead of random
    >"noise" but I guess anything is possible?

    Read carefully the quoted text ...

    Bruce, Jun 29, 2012
  18. RichA

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 29/06/2012 14:47, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Me" wrote in message news:jsjfts$osu$...
    > []
    > He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    > famous Canadian?
    > ===============================
    >
    > The Villeneuve racing drivers, perhaps?

    Dan Aykroyd
    Keanu Reeves
    Leonard Cohen
    Celine Dion
    Alannis Morisette
    Neil Young
    Jim Carrey
    Sarah McLachlan
    Bryan Adams
    Paul Anka
    James Cameron
    John Candy
    Douglas Coupland
    David Cronenberg
    William Gibson
    Joni Mitchell
    Oscar Peterson
    William Shatner

    and so on...

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Jun 29, 2012
  19. "Joe Kotroczo" wrote in message news:...

    On 29/06/2012 14:47, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Me" wrote in message news:jsjfts$osu$...
    > []
    > He looked roman to me - who the hell is that guy? Has there ever been a
    > famous Canadian?
    > ===============================
    >
    > The Villeneuve racing drivers, perhaps?

    Dan Aykroyd
    Keanu Reeves
    Leonard Cohen
    Celine Dion
    Alannis Morisette
    Neil Young
    Jim Carrey
    Sarah McLachlan
    Bryan Adams
    Paul Anka
    James Cameron
    John Candy
    Douglas Coupland
    David Cronenberg
    William Gibson
    Joni Mitchell
    Oscar Peterson
    William Shatner

    and so on...

    Yes, I've heard of five of those, so it's more than just Giles and Jacques!
    (I no longer take an interest in "pop" and have little interest in films.)

    Thanks,
    David

    Robert Coe, Jun 30, 2012