    Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
    Not what it seems...
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Jul 18, 2003

  2. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > These two images are details from two pictures I took the other day
    > while walking round Newcastle. This cute little creature is a bit of a
    > mystery, nobody seems to know why it exists. It sits above an office
    > doorway behind the cathedral on a little place called 'Amen Corner'...
    > anyway, if you're interested in curio maybe you could be the one to find
    > the history behind the mistory (insert groans here!)
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw
    > --
    > Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
    > Not what it seems...
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Historically, stone carvers working on cathedrals have been given artistic
    freedom in carving gargoyles. This one seems to be based on a rabbit. The
    color touches may have been added much later by a painter who was goven (or
    took) artistic liberties of his own.

    Back in the '70s, there was a public contest to design gargoyles for the
    Washington (DC) cathedral. The wife of one of the people in my car pool got
    her design on the cathedral.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 18, 2003