Something strange happening with CD Writer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ripper, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. ripper

    ripper Guest

    Every so often my CD Writer tries to read when there is no disk in the tray.
    It is as if something is running in the background and is looking for a CD.
    After this, most of the icons disappear from the quick launch toolbar. I
    have looked at task manager and the applications to which the disappearing
    icons relate to are still running.
    I have shut down a lot of what is running in the background including my
    virus program, but still the CD writer tries to read a disk that is not
    there.
    Although task manager is useful, is there any program I can use that can
    tell me what all the processes that are running and to which programs they
    refer to.
    Or if anyone else can offer any advice.
    My OS is XP Pro, and this problem has been going on for some time.
    For what its worth, here is a listing of processes running as listed in task
    manager.
    taskmgr.exe
    overnet.exe
    K-MANIA.EXE
    realevent.exe
    EXPLORER.EXE
    locator.exe
    MailWasher.exe
    realevent.exe
    PPMemcheck.exe
    MDM.EXE
    PPcontrol.exe
    TYPE32.EXE
    SAgent2.exe
    DANTSRV.EXE
    AVGUPSVC.EXE
    AVGAMSVR.EXE
    ALG.EXE
    FXSSVC.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    SPOOLSV.EXE
    Smasher.exe
    TypeItIn.exe
    SVCHOST.EXE
    realsched.exe
    Smasher.exe
    autodetect.exe
    SVCHOST.EXE
    UIWatcher.exe
    WASHER.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    WINSER.EXE
    LSASS.EXE
    SERVICES.EXE
    WINLOGON.EXE
    SRSS.EXE
    OUTPOST.EXE
    SMSS.EXE
    SDAEMON.EXE
    fps.exe
    WINWD.EXE
    NVSVC32.EXE
    AVGEMC.EXE
    AVGCC.EXE
    CookiePatrol.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

    TIA

    ripper, Dec 28, 2003

  2. ripper

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:17:12 -0000, in
    <4_FHb.7853$9.net>
    ripper scrawled:

    >Every so often my CD Writer tries to read when there is no disk in the tray.
    >It is as if something is running in the background and is looking for a CD.
    >After this, most of the icons disappear from the quick launch toolbar. I
    >have looked at task manager and the applications to which the disappearing
    >icons relate to are still running.
    >I have shut down a lot of what is running in the background including my
    >virus program, but still the CD writer tries to read a disk that is not
    >there.
    >Although task manager is useful, is there any program I can use that can
    >tell me what all the processes that are running and to which programs they
    >refer to.
    >Or if anyone else can offer any advice.
    >My OS is XP Pro, and this problem has been going on for some time.
    >For what its worth, here is a listing of processes running as listed in task
    >manager.
    >taskmgr.exe

    Task manager.

    >overnet.exe

    P2P Program.

    >K-MANIA.EXE

    ???????

    >realevent.exe

    Don't know, but *could* be part of Real Player.

    >EXPLORER.EXE

    Windows Shell.

    >locator.exe

    The nearest thing I could find is "updatewinlocator.exe" - Locator adult
    content toolbar related.

    >MailWasher.exe

    MailWasher.

    >realevent.exe

    See other realevent above.

    >PPMemcheck.exe

    Pest Patrol's memory checker.

    >MDM.EXE

    Machine Debug Manager.

    >PPcontrol.exe

    Pest Patrol Control Panel.

    >TYPE32.EXE

    Programmable keyboard.

    >SAgent2.exe

    Seiko Epson printer status agent.

    >DANTSRV.EXE

    C-Dilla License Management software.

    >AVGUPSVC.EXE

    AVG Antivirus.

    >AVGAMSVR.EXE

    AVG Antivirus.

    >ALG.EXE

    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Part of ICS.

    >FXSSVC.EXE

    Fax Service.

    >SVCHOST.EXE

    Windows Service Host.

    >SPOOLSV.EXE

    Printer Spooler.

    >Smasher.exe

    Pop-up Smasher.

    >TypeItIn.exe

    I don't know, but there must be a clue in the name.

    >SVCHOST.EXE

    Windows Service Host.

    >realsched.exe

    Real Player Scheduler.

    >Smasher.exe

    Pop-up Smasher

    >autodetect.exe

    ?????

    >UIWatcher.exe

    Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite.

    >WASHER.EXE

    Window Washer.

    >WINSER.EXE

    ?????

    >LSASS.EXE

    Local Security Authority Service.

    >SERVICES.EXE

    Windows Service Controller.

    >WINLOGON.EXE

    Windows Logon Process.

    >SRSS.EXE

    Are you sure of the spelling of this one?
    Csrss.exe could be a valid file, a page hijacker, or a virus.

    >OUTPOST.EXE

    Outpost Firewall.

    >SMSS.EXE

    Session Manager Sub System.

    >SDAEMON.EXE

    PC Security from Tropical Software.

    >fps.exe

    ?????

    >WINWD.EXE

    PC Security from Tropical Software.

    >NVSVC32.EXE

    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service.

    >AVGEMC.EXE
    >AVGCC.EXE

    Both AVG Antivirus.

    >CookiePatrol.exe

    Name speaks for itself.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 28, 2003

  3. ripper

    ripper Guest

    CSRSS.EXE is correct as you said, when I try to end this I get
    This is a critical system process. Task Manager cannot end this process.

    I uninstalled C-Dilla, how do I get rid of this, probably somewhere in the
    registry:

    ripper, Dec 28, 2003
  4. ripper

    ripper Guest

    DANTSRV.EXE should be CDANTSRV.EXE and is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    directory.
    It is C-Dilla RTS Service, would it be OK to just delete this entry?
    TIA

    ripper, Dec 28, 2003
  5. ripper

    °Mike° Guest

    If you have uninstalled C-Dilla, reboot and see if the file
    is still in the running processes. If not, just delete it, otherwise,
    end-task and then delete it.

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:28:44 -0000, in
    <fVHHb.8066$9.net>
    ripper scrawled: