    perfect, so there is no way it is hardware related. Any one else having this
    explorer.exe problem? And yes all software i am using is on the compatibility
    list with the latest updates.
    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ib2Jh?=, Dec 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ib2Jh?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I had a similar situation after installing and uninstalling a program. In
    my case I reinstalled RC1 but didn't reinstall that program and everything
    has been fine in that regards since. Sorry I don't remember what program it
    was, but probably wasn't the same as yours. Just a flash from the past,
    being able to run on its own and being compatible doesn't mean it isn't
    software related, as sometimes a combination of programs will cause problems
    the individual programs don't cause. Also, hardware drivers aren't
    necessarily immune either. Numerous times this group has had posters find
    that their systems would work with earlier drivers (BIOS's too) and wouldn't
    work with the latest.
    Have you adjusted any of the indexing settings? Maybe scheduled something?
    When explorer is doing this is the I/O count incrementing wildly with disk
    activity? What happens when you use task manager and stop explorer.exe and
    on the applications page, restart it? I had to do that with XP at one time.
    Just a couple of ideas. Others may have better ideas, but it will probably
    just require you to isolate the problem in the usual manner, one piece of
    hardware and one program at a time.

    John Barnes, Dec 31, 2006

  3. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the indexing service. When
    i restart the exploer.exe process it comes right back at around 90%cpu usage.
    However, the I/O flow remains fairly constant.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ib2Jh?=, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Hi, Boboba.

    > on the third day, every time the computer is started, it
    > renders itself unusable by way of 100% CPU usage.

    Most likely that's the Indexing Service running so that future Search
    operations will be near-instantaneous. This frequent 100% CPU usage problem
    will probably continue for several days until your Index is finally
    complete. Then it will occur only occasionally and briefly as you add new
    indexable files to your hard drive. If you have a lot of email and news
    files or many documents or other files suitable for indexing, the process
    could go on for a long time.

    I'm happy to report that this problem has almost disappeared with Vista RTM.
    My computer (also an Athlon 64) was so slow using several of the beta builds
    that it was almost unusable, and several other testers reported the same
    frustration. We found partial relief by turning off the Indexing Service or
    by assigning it a lower priority in Task Manager, but the slowdowns - often
    full stops for minutes at a time! - were still bad.

    I've been using a fresh install of Vista Ultimate x64 for about 2 weeks now
    on my new AMD 64 X2. The Indexing Service took about a week to index about
    100 GB of files on my 3 HDs. It was a great relief last week when I clicked
    Start | Control Panel | Indexing Options and saw, "1,037,694 items indexed.
    Indexing complete." Now there are only occasional interruptions to update
    the index, probably for the hundreds of new emails and newsgroup posts that
    arrive each day.

    While waiting for RTM, you should NOT reinstall Vista RC1 to try to cure
    this problem. It will just make it worse because the new installation will
    have to start the index from scratch again! Either turn the Indexing
    Service off and live without it until you get RTM, or reduce the priority in
    Task Manager. Or let it run overnight or at other times when your computer
    is idle so that it can complete the index. And then enjoy the instant
    searches that all the Vista reviewers like so much. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Jan 1, 2007