Something is causing Fonts to look shadowy

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Lee Steele, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64 bit on the a Gateway FX530XV
    machine with the following specs:
    Intel Motherboard Model #OEM975XBG1 with Intel(r) LA97510J (Bigram and
    Lava cot) motherboard Bios, with Intel Chipset i975X Rev A and Intel Core 2
    Quad Q6600
    Nividia GeForce 7500 LE Video Card with Driver 7.15.11.7516 dtd 5/2/08
    4 Gb of DRY Memory set at 667 Latency 5.0-5-5-15 Per Cpu-Z, running at
    333.3 MHz
    Monitor is a Gateway FDD 2485W 24 Inch Widescreen High Definition

    My problem started several months ago for no apparent reason. No new
    hardware installed and no new programs installed at the time. When ever I
    open any document, Windows Mail or Internet site, the fonts appear shadowed,
    even on the desktop. Pictures also appear a little out of focus,

    I have tried uninstalling the Nividia driver and reinstalling it ( the
    latest from Nividia), I have tried uninstalling the driver and letting
    Windows choose the correct driver. I have tried rolling back to an older
    driver. I did not think about doing a system restore until it was too late
    to go back to a point before the problem occurred.

    I contacted Gateway support and they suggested reinstalling Windows. I am
    willing to do this if the problem can not be resolved any other way.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

    Thanks
    Lee Steele
    Lee Steele, Aug 12, 2008

  2. Check your font smoothing - you may have configured a different type of
    smoothing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2008

  3. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Charlie,
    Thanks for the advice. Clear Type is on. I tried tuning Clear Type on
    Microsoft's web site at
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/tune.aspx but and I
    still have the shadowy fonts. I typed font smoothing in Vista's help and
    could not find anything specifically about smoothing fonts.

    Lee

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  4. Clear type will make fonts somewhat shadowy, though not usually so you would
    notice on a monitor. (In print it's a different matter. Font smoothing has
    to be completely off before taking screen shots for a book, for example.)

    Try turning off font smoothing entirely. And, while I don't usually suggest
    it, try uploading a _small_ example as an attachment to your post. NOT a
    screen shot of your entire desktop, just a small window where it's apparent.
    Use jpg or png and they should be small enough. (And yes, I know,
    attachments are anathema to NNTP except in .binaries, but in this case it
    might help and if we keep it small, it might get through the filters. If
    not, send it to me directly at c h a r l i e _a t_ m v p s _d o t_ o r g.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2008
  5. Lee Steele

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Lee Steele" <> wrote in message
    > Nividia GeForce 7500 LE Video Card with Driver 7.15.11.7516 dtd 5/2/08
    > Monitor is a Gateway FDD 2485W 24 Inch Widescreen High Definition

    Did you mean: FPD2485W?

    BTW, is your display resolution set at native resolution 1920 * 1200?
    Is the monitor connected via DVI or VGA cable?

    Regards, Roman
    roman modic, Aug 13, 2008
  6. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  7. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  8. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  9. I think you have just divulged the problem - the connection
    and the resolution. I would suggest you purchase a DVI
    cable and use it for you video connection, and then I would
    set the resolution to the monitor's native resolution,
    especially considering the size of the monitor.

    DVI, digital video, will result in much more distinct
    resolution, and 1920 x 1200 will give you a larger desktop
    to play with.

    If you don't want to do the above then you will have to live
    with what you've got 'cause it ain't gonna get any better
    otherwise!

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 13, 2008
  10. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    I would believe this is the problem if the fuzziness/shadowy condition had
    been with me from the start. The clarity of the monitor was great when I
    was running Vist 32 bit and it also worked fine when I started using Vista
    64Bit. I have a DVI cable but it is not long enough for the configuration
    of my desk. If there are no other suggestions, I would be willing to spend
    the money for a 10 ft DVI cable.

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  11. Going back and re-reading you first post, I think you need
    to check your monitor on another known good system. It
    really sounds like the monitor is going bad from your
    description - especially since you say it was fine for
    awhile and then it started getting fuzzy and out of focus.
    As far as I know there is absolutely nothing you can do in
    Windows to "focus" the screen. Increasing the resolution to
    1920 x 1200 should reduce the "fuzziness" of the fonts
    and such.

    Can't you move things a bit to try the DVI cable you
    currently have just to see if it fixes anything?

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 13, 2008
  12. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Bobby,
    good idea about moving things. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
    I also think I will hook the monitor up to my laptop and see what that does.
    I'll let you know.
    Thanks, Lee

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  13. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    I hooked up the DVI cable and everything is clear on Native Resolution and
    also on 1360 x 768. I also hooked up my laptop to the monitor and it was
    also clear as a bell. Sounds to me like the video card may be going bad,
    what do you guys think?

    I'm off to buy a longer DVI cable.

    Thanks

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  14. Sounds like a possibility. If you get a new card why not
    get one that supports DX10 or better?

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 13, 2008
  15. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Got a new 10 foot DVI cable. It works great. Now I have to convince
    Gateway that the video card is going bad. It's still under warranty.

    Thanks for your help.

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008
  16. Lee Steele

    Carlos Guest

    Check your VGA cable first.
    ;)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 13, 2008
  17. Lee Steele

    Lee Steele Guest

    Carlos,
    I used the same VGA cable to hook up to my laptop as I did my desktop, so it
    appears to be OK. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Lee

    Lee Steele, Aug 13, 2008