Something for newbies (like myself) to consider

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    How my day is going.

    Downed the w2k file server to add a drive.
    Also downed the IIS server just because it's
    useless without the file server and a reboot
    is always good for the soul. Everything went
    well and both machines were brought back up.

    But now the IIS Server can't see the network.
    And the backup server, that was not touched,
    also can't see the network. Rebooted again,
    same problem. NIC and switch lights all look
    good but nothing can browse the network.

    Rebooted the backup server and now it can see
    the network. Brought a few workstations up and
    they too can see the network. Problem appears
    isolated to the IIS Server. Open it up and add
    a new NIC, disable the onboard NIC and now it
    too can see the network. Problem solved, right?

    But wait! There is no Internet connection and it
    seems to take machines longer boot up.

    The lack of Internet prompted me to check the IP
    address and behold, all computers are using APIPA.

    The router, which is the DHCP server, had a bad
    network cable (but good link lights). Moving
    things around (ever so gently) must have killed it.

    Anyway, replacing the cable from the switch to the
    router fixed it. And it only took two hours of my
    life.

    I don't know how you guys and gals out there do it
    when you have 200 computers that wacky things can go
    wrong with. I hear plumbers make a lot of money...

    kpg
    kpg, Apr 2, 2004

  2. kpg

    Neil Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:eFdOq$EGEHA.3372
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > I don't know how you guys and gals out there do it
    > when you have 200 computers that wacky things can go
    > wrong with. I hear plumbers make a lot of money...

    Aint it great! (ps beer helps)

    by the way, if you become a plumber you'd be dealing with other people's
    crap. in the IT industry you just deal with other people's...wait a
    minute!

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004

  3. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > How my day is going.

    <snip>

    You lose the weird happenings game.

    Today, my SQL server decided it didn't want to process the ORDER BY clause.
    Yes, you read that right. A simple select query, which would return under
    1000 records normally takes a second or two, tops. Throw in the order by
    clause, and it took upwards of 10 minutes to process. Needless to say, this
    put a damper on my Crystal Report writing. Never got to the bottom of it,
    but I stopped and restarted the SQL service, and now it's running well
    again. However, I'm not holding my breath that all will be well tomorrow...

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    ---
    Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?
    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  4. kpg

    Neil Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in

    > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >> How my day is going.

    > <snip>
    >
    > You lose the weird happenings game.
    >
    > Today, my SQL server decided it didn't want to process the ORDER BY
    > clause. Yes, you read that right. A simple select query, which would
    > return under 1000 records normally takes a second or two, tops. Throw
    > in the order by clause, and it took upwards of 10 minutes to process.
    > Needless to say, this put a damper on my Crystal Report writing. Never
    > got to the bottom of it, but I stopped and restarted the SQL service,
    > and now it's running well again. However, I'm not holding my breath
    > that all will be well tomorrow...

    Is it possible that it’s time for a reindex and update of stats? Just a
    thought...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  5. most network issues are layer one - osi!

    Sartan Dragonbane, Apr 2, 2004
  6. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    i though they were OSI 2 & 3. man, i got to get me a cisco cert. next.

    "Sartan Dragonbane" <> wrote in news:0v5bc.329
    $Ni3.200@clgrps13:

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    -------------------------------
    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  7. kpg

    Brat Guest

    no... look at the statement... "network issues... "

    basically Sartan was saying that most problems exist at the hardware
    layer... layer one... software/logical problems exist at layers 2 and 3 ...
    and higher for that matter.

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Apr 2, 2004
  8. kpg

    Brat Guest

    why go plumber... you got the right answer... 2 hours is not really that
    long of a time... I think you did well... your time will improve as you
    become more skilled and experienced... :)

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Apr 2, 2004
  9. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Brat" <> wrote in

    > no... look at the statement... "network issues... "
    >
    > basically Sartan was saying that most problems exist at the hardware
    > layer... layer one... software/logical problems exist at layers 2 and
    > 3 ... and higher for that matter.

    99.99% of my network issues are always fuggin' switch & router freezeup.

    ;-(

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    -------------------------------
    Rowdy Yates, Apr 2, 2004
  10. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Wow! Positive reinforcement. Thanks. :)

    kpg

    kpg, Apr 2, 2004
  11. kpg

    kpg Guest

    I deal with SQL all the time, and your story disturbs me greatly.

    When one of my underlings (programmer types) comes to me with
    a weird SQL problem, I calmly explain to them that it must be them,
    not the system. Since the source is you (an assumed competent source)
    it gives me pause. Glad a reboot fixed it. Like I said, good for the soul.

    kpg, Apr 2, 2004
  12. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in
    >
    > Is it possible that it's time for a reindex and update of stats? Just a
    > thought...

    No indexes on this table (obviously, other than the Primary Key, which are
    "all" there - that is, the keys are all incremented by 1, as they should be,
    and there are none missing). Well, the view. Not an indexed view. But the
    tables the view pulls from aren't very big - 10,000 records in one, almost
    400 in the other. There's no reason for it to take that long, especially
    since it was a simple query. It wasn't doing crazy calculations, groupings,
    or sorting. Just wanted to sort by one column ascending, then another column
    descending.

    Strange problem. Chalk it up to "one of those things". Seems to be working
    alright this morning.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  13. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > I deal with SQL all the time, and your story disturbs me greatly.

    You and me both, brother man.

    > When one of my underlings (programmer types) comes to me with
    > a weird SQL problem, I calmly explain to them that it must be them,
    > not the system. Since the source is you (an assumed competent source)
    > it gives me pause.

    I've never seen or heard of something like this before. But what I did leave
    out of the story was that "GROUP BY" didn't work either. Well, it worked, it
    just took forever. Even when trying to return one record. But what I
    discovered was that views which were built using GROUP BY functioned fine.
    So it didn't have a problem *processing* the grouping, per se. But rather,
    it had a problem *reading* the GROUP BY clause. My original problem was a
    particular Crystal Report took forever to run. So I just stripped all the
    tables out of the report and created a view to do all the grouping for me.
    It processed this with no problem, as expected. So, I got around the "ORDER
    BY" clause fiasco by using GROUP BY (and instead of returning fields, I
    returned Max(table.field)). So, in effect, it sorted the way I wanted.

    > Glad a reboot fixed it. Like I said, good for the soul.

    I have no doubt a reboot would have fixed it as well, but all I did was stop
    and restart the SQL service. Another "one of those things".

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  14. kpg

    Neil Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in

    > No indexes on this table (obviously, other than the Primary Key, which
    > are "all" there - that is, the keys are all incremented by 1, as they
    > should be, and there are none missing). Well, the view. Not an indexed
    > view. But the tables the view pulls from aren't very big - 10,000
    > records in one, almost 400 in the other. There's no reason for it to
    > take that long, especially since it was a simple query. It wasn't
    > doing crazy calculations, groupings, or sorting. Just wanted to sort
    > by one column ascending, then another column descending.
    >
    > Strange problem. Chalk it up to "one of those things". Seems to be
    > working alright this morning.

    Problem resolution at a distance is always a pain. This one in particular
    is goofy. Possibly the tempdb was working on something and the reboot would
    have cleared that. If you are running the query thru Q/A you can check to
    see what the plan is. Otherwise, I will stay with my Update of stats. If
    they are out of date (badly) I have seen this drag my query performance
    into the dumpster. But do it during off hours. I update some of my stats at
    6:30 am with a 10% sampling and on the weekends for my PeopleSoft I do a
    100% sampling. (The reindex on PS is painful. 39 hours this past week,
    Youch!)

    So long as your chugin’

    Computers, go figure...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  15. kpg

    Neil Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:uk5#vtLGEHA.2768
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Wow! Positive reinforcement. Thanks. :)

    Yes, what was Brat thinking? Next we will be telling you "good job" or
    "hey, that’s great". I think Brat is on thin ice with these kinds of
    comments...

    :)

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  16. kpg

    Neil Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in

    > I have no doubt a reboot would have fixed it as well, but all I did
    > was stop and restart the SQL service. Another "one of those things".

    tempdb...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 2, 2004
  17. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have no doubt a reboot would have fixed it as well, but all I did
    > > was stop and restart the SQL service. Another "one of those things".

    > tempdb...

    Never thought of that. I suppose it could have been the tempdb. It wasn't
    scheduled for any maintenance or anything, but I suppose it could have been
    doing something on its own. I dunno. I'm not worrying about it unless it
    happens again.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 2, 2004
  18. kpg

    JaR Guest

    Brat opined, On 4/2/04 4:12 AM:

    > why go plumber... you got the right answer... 2 hours is not really that
    > long of a time... I think you did well... your time will improve as you
    > become more skilled and experienced... :)

    Where can I got briandumps for these skilled and experienced?

    Regards
    Pradeep
    JaR, Apr 2, 2004
  19. kpg

    Brat Guest

    *smacks her forehead with heal of hand* D'OH

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Apr 2, 2004
  20. kpg