something for all pixel peepers to enjoy ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Robert Klemme, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Bill Hilton wrote:
    > http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part1.html
    > ... can you guess which cameras or lenses were used to take these two
    > images? Nikon vs Canon? Kodak dSLR vs Canon? 8 Mpix zSLR vs 8 Mpix
    > dSLR?
    >
    > After you've formed an opinion here's the follow-up site ... very
    > interesting ...
    > http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part2.html
    >
    > Bill

    The site doesn't allow me to add a comment.

    The defects look very much like what I saw on the Minolta A2 camera and
    what caused me to return it. Was the image made from RAW data or from an
    in-camera conversion to JPEG?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> After you've formed an opinion here's the follow-up site
    >>
    >> http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part2.html

    >From: "David J Taylor"
    >
    >The site doesn't allow me to add a comment.

    Click the "sign in" link at the top-left of the page and register if you want
    to post.

    >Was the image made from RAW data or from an
    >in-camera conversion to JPEG?

    I don't think he said, but since he processed them using the same settings and
    without post-processing it doesn't matter anyway.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>> After you've formed an opinion here's the follow-up site
    >>>
    >>> http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part2.html

    >> From: "David J Taylor"
    >>
    >> The site doesn't allow me to add a comment.

    > Click the "sign in" link at the top-left of the page and register if
    > you want to post.

    I don't wish to register, thanks.

    >> Was the image made from RAW data or from an
    >> in-camera conversion to JPEG?

    > I don't think he said, but since he processed them using the same
    > settings and without post-processing it doesn't matter anyway.

    Yes, it could matter a lot. With the Minolta A1 and A2 the nasty
    artefacts were /only/ present when the in-camera conversion to JPEG was
    used. When an external program was used, the artefacts were absent. This
    showed that the camera firmwar was faulty.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Thanks Bill. Excellent demo. Now some folks will be able to appreciate why
    some manufacturers use a fairly aggressive anti-alias filter in their
    cameras.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Bill Hilton

    Jer Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part1.html ... can you
    > guess which cameras or lenses were used to take these two images? Nikon vs
    > Canon? Kodak dSLR vs Canon? 8 Mpix zSLR vs 8 Mpix dSLR?
    >
    > After you've formed an opinion here's the follow-up site ... very interesting
    > ... http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part2.html
    >
    > Bill

    That fizzle sound everyone just heard was a core breach of my left brain
    cell. Holy cow!

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Dec 8, 2004