    I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.

    Gary

    Gary, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Gary

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Gary tried to scribble ...

    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    > .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through OE.
    > I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    > off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.
    >
    > Gary

    See who else uses your computer .. Do a full Trojan check ... Check the
    security of your network and firewall system ... There may be many reasons
    for this .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Seti 1942 wu in 14790 hours

    Paul - xxx, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Gary

    Evil T Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    > .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through OE.
    > I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    > off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.
    >
    > Gary

    Gary

    This has happened to most of use during the recent virus problems. No one
    is using your account, it's just a way that the virus comes in to your
    computer. It says it's an undeliverable e-mail, and you know you haven't
    sent it, so you try to open it, and you may then be infected by the virus.

    Make sure you have up-to-date anti-virus software on your computer.

    Evil T

    Evil T, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Gary

    Boomer.. Guest

    Gary said:

    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable
    > mail, .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent
    > through OE. I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last
    > night when I was off line. Any ideas short of opening a new
    > email account.
    >
    > Gary

    Hi

    Possibly the W32.Sobig.F@mm worm.
    Info:
    http://www.updatexp.com/sobig-worm-f.html

    W32.Sobig.F@mm Removal Tool if needed.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f
    @mm. removal.tool.html

    Boomer.., Aug 30, 2003
  5. Gary

    anthonyberet Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    > .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through OE.
    > I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    > off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.

    It could be that somebody has a mass-mailing virus which is sending mail
    from their machine and is faking your address (from the affected party's
    address book). This is why the bounces are coming back to you.
    I haven't checked out MSblast or Sobig.F as my system is immune to these
    infections, but I seem to recall that one of those spreads itself as a .pif
    Update your virus definitions, and get a trojan scanner (spybot is good and
    free).
    -And use the MS update site to get the latest patches.
    The chances are that it is not your machine that has the problem though.
    bounce.
    anthonyberet

    anthonyberet, Aug 30, 2003
  6. Gary

    anthonyberet Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:
    > Gary wrote:
    >> I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    >> .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through
    >> OE. I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I
    >> was off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.
    >>

    > It could be that somebody has a mass-mailing virus which is sending
    > mail from their machine and is faking your address (from the affected
    > party's address book). This is why the bounces are coming back to you.
    > I haven't checked out MSblast or Sobig.F as my system is immune to
    > these infections, but I seem to recall that one of those spreads
    > itself as a .pif Update your virus definitions, and get a trojan
    > scanner (spybot is good and free).
    > -And use the MS update site to get the latest patches.
    > The chances are that it is not your machine that has the problem
    > though.

    Oh and by the way DO NOT OPEN THE .PIF!
    bounce.
    anthonyberet

    anthonyberet, Aug 30, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    splurted...
    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    > .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through OE.
    > I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    > off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.
    >
    > Gary

    If your worried, Hey CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD..Duh.
    --
    Mike

    Michael Thompson, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Gary

    trout Guest

    Gary wrote:

    > I noticed last week that I had gotten back some undeliverable mail,
    > .pif applications that I never sent. I noticed it was sent through OE.
    > I uninstall Outlook express and there was one last night when I was
    > off line. Any ideas short of opening a new email account.
    >
    > Gary

    In addition to the other suggestions; it *could* simply be a matter
    of someone forging your Hotmail account (I've had it happen to mine). If
    you can, try to trace the originating ISP in the headers; and in any
    event, report the incidents to the abuse staff at Hotmail.
    --
    "If only to go on record as *not* the originator."

    trout, Aug 31, 2003