    They have been made using IE6.
    Thank you !

    Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    Arild, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Arild

    Guest

    "Arild" <> wrote:

    |>Hi,
    |>Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    |>Firefox browsers.
    |>Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check this,
    |>but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    |>They have been made using IE6.
    |>Thank you !
    |>
    |>Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    Opera: This
    <TD vAlign=top align=left>(coffee &amp; tea
    included)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></BODY>
    <script language='javascript'>postamble();</script>

    Pops up in the middle of the page.

    This doesn't work or misplaced (it's below the picture of the
    house/apt ):

    <TD vAlign=top align=left><STRONG>Click on map to enlarge
    !</STRONG></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

    Nor this (nothing after location: )

    <TD vAlign=top align=left><STRONG>Location
    :</STRONG></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    --

    , Aug 18, 2005

  3. Arild

    Gordon Guest

    Arild wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    > Firefox browsers.
    > Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check this,
    > but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    > They have been made using IE6.
    > Thank you !
    >
    > Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0

    Gordon, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Arild

    trout Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Arild wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    >> Firefox browsers.
    >> Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check
    >> this, but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    >> They have been made using IE6.
    >> Thank you !
    >>
    >> Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    > Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered away
    from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath 'entertainment'.
    --
    I'm obviously not attempting technical explanations...

    trout, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Arild

    Gordon Guest

    trout wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Arild wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    >>> Firefox browsers.
    >>> Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check
    >>> this, but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    >>> They have been made using IE6.
    >>> Thank you !
    >>>
    >>> Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    >> Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    > It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered away
    > from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath 'entertainment'.

    I see what you mean. I hadn't spotted that!

    Gordon, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Arild

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:36:41 -0700, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Arild wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    >>> Firefox browsers.
    >>> Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check
    >>> this, but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    >>> They have been made using IE6.
    >>> Thank you !
    >>>
    >>> Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    >> Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    > It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered away
    >from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath 'entertainment'.

    Did on mine, too.

    There's also the wondering if this isn't a roundabout way of spamming the
    site....

    Hmmm.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Arild

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:21:21 +0200, Arild wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera or
    >Firefox browsers.
    >Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check this,
    >but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    >They have been made using IE6.

    It looks like you were viewing pages with File | Open and used the IE
    File | Save As, to save it as html files.
    That's not very good as IE alters the pages from what you loaded to
    saving it.

    A few things, just looking at the raw page without using a browser.

    styles -
    verdana initial font.
    setting fixed pt sizes.
    a {} missing # in front of ff6600

    table layouts, often misused.

    <SPAN setting FONT-SIZE> , you started off with styles at the top then
    ignored that and put the formatting in each line.

    Too many nbsp to space stuff out

    Use alt=" " for images to describe the pictures.

    (A) Opera Win v8.02
    (B) IE 6 SP1
    (C) Mozilla 1.7.11

    Max windows size 1280 x 1024

    1. Alignment
    (A) (B) (C)
    Flags and paviljongen.jpg problems overlap heading and 'LINKS'

    (B) (C)
    Kitchen , coffee & tea NOK 200,

    Some serious issue, most likely a <div> <span> issue

    On (B) coffee tea overlaps included for stays

    On (C) it overlaps Refridgerator

    If you use the mouse to select text, as if you were doing a copy / paste
    watch the selection highlighted text it jumps all over the page.

    Too much text is selected and some missed.

    Ok I see what you did -

    Accomodation : text (lots of spaces)

    General : text (lots of spaces)

    If anything that bit should be a table as it's possible to call it
    tabular data , 1st column Facility and 2nd column Service provided , or
    whatever heading you want to use.

    What is <br>
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

    It would be a goos idea to learn to fix HTML by hand, some tutorial
    sites

    A nice tutorial site
    http://www.w3schools.com/

    HTML reference
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/

    Just starting HTML (URL updated 14 Aug 2005)
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/getting_started/

    Style guide
    http://www.webstyleguide.com/index.html?/contents.html
    Not HTML concentrates on presentation , style and design.

    http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/
    created for teachers

    http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/

    http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer .html

    There is no closing </HTML>

    If you view the source , there is a big problem, the coffee & tea issue.

    Whatever happened the messy align and absolute positions are messed up.

    At the bottom of your page is the Admin / Term but in the source code
    the coffee & tea HTML code is below there.

    Quite simply it's a mess, and not simple to fix. Best start again.

    It's not even possible to run the page through the HTML Validator

    http://validator.w3.org/
    (there are notes on the page how it works)

    as you used the (c) copyright symbol instead of © for the copyright
    sign , which is odd as in coffee & tea , the correct use of &amp; is
    okay.

    Anyway with the validator issue there is no character set / HTML DTD
    given.

    >Thank you !
    >
    >Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    On the gallery page, just loading it and watching the pictures draw show
    another problem. You haven't used thumbnails but squashed full size
    pictures into small boxes.

    As an example,
    http://www.stavangerpark.com/parken.jpg
    165px X 123px 47.87 KB (49019 bytes)

    The original image is 450 x 338 Pixels.

    What is happening is 717KB worth of pictures / code is being loaded, and
    I thought it was painfully slow loading on a 4MB link.

    If you make thumbnails of the images this happens

    resize parken.jpg to the size 165px X 123px it becomes 6KB from 47, a
    reduction of 41KB, as a rough guide the 717KB slow loading page becomes
    90KB.

    If someone then want to load the full size picture they can.

    Me

    why?, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Arild

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:40:49 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    >trout wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    >> It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered away
    >> from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath 'entertainment'.

    >I see what you mean. I hadn't spotted that!

    Nor the flags / picture overlap on the top right, or the missing </HTML>
    to close the document.

    Me

    why?, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Arild

    trout Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:36:41 -0700, "trout" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    >> It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered
    >> away from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath
    >> 'entertainment'.

    > Did on mine, too.
    >
    > There's also the wondering if this isn't a roundabout way of spamming
    > the site....
    >
    > Hmmm.

    I only saw one other post; in alt.travel. Seems on the up-and-up.
    --
    Have to give the benefit of the doubt every now and then.

    trout, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Arild

    Arild Guest

    Thank you for useful information. I have no idea on how to fix these errors,
    but will search the net to see if I can find some answers.
    Had hoped everything was ok, as in IE6.

    Arild, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Arild

    Arild Guest

    Thank you for taking the time to help.
    I used a program that was included when I got my .com address, to make the
    pages, so I don't know much HTML. Will have a look at the links you
    mentioned to learn more.

    Arild

    Arild, Aug 18, 2005
  12. Arild

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use something other then IE to create the page. How did you create it with
    IE?

    pcbutts1, Aug 19, 2005
  13. Arild

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Since there are problems it looks legit.

    pcbutts1, Aug 19, 2005
  14. Arild

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:24:06 -0700, "trout" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > I only saw one other post; in alt.travel. Seems on the up-and-up.

    I'll take your word for it. I had to leave for awhile, and didn't have a chance
    to check it out. It's been done so often, though, that it always crosses my
    mind.

    "Iffin yous gets my meanin'."

    Mara, Aug 19, 2005
  15. Arild

    WormWood Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Arild wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Could you help me checking how our webpages looks when using Opera
    >>> or
    >>> Firefox browsers.
    >>> Or other browsers if you have installed. I recieved advice to check
    >>> this, but are unable to myself. There could be allignment problems.
    >>> They have been made using IE6.
    >>> Thank you !
    >>>
    >>> Our site : http://www.stavangerpark.com/

    >> Firefox 1.0.6 is fine!

    > It is? In mine, the line "(coffee & tea included)" has wandered
    > away
    > from the 'kitchen' area, and straddles the line beneath
    > 'entertainment'.
    > --
    > I'm obviously not attempting technical explanations...

    OK here...Firefox.

    WormWood, Aug 19, 2005
  16. Arild

    Arild Guest

    I used a program called Ilosoft Web Page Composer, which came with the .com
    address. It only works with IE.

    Arild, Aug 19, 2005
  17. Arild

    Arild Guest

    Hi again,
    I have made some changes to the index page. Made thumbs of images, used
    ALT="" and put the Facilities text in a table.
    Could you see if it looks better. If so, I can start fixing all pages.

    Arild

    By the way :
    What happens when there is no </HTML at the end ?
    I put </HTML in at the end of this site
    http://www.stavangerpark.com/indexnorwegian.html, but it only resulted in
    the text in the upper right corner.

    Arild, Aug 19, 2005
  18. Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2005
  19. Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2005
  20. Arild wrote:
    > Thank you for useful information. I have no idea on how to fix these errors,
    > but will search the net to see if I can find some answers.
    > Had hoped everything was ok, as in IE6.

    Then code to W3C standards, not to IE6 non-standards.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2005