    anyone to explain it to me.
    --
    Thanks ;O)

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=, Nov 24, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

    Lance Guest

    The thing to do is start Googling and reading. The consumer wireless
    vendors like Netgear, Linksys and DLink have guides and online
    configurators that figure out which of their products you need.

    I just typed in "basic wireless networking" into the Google search box
    and came up with this and 6,629,999 others:

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Nov 24, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

    Gary R. Guest

    There is almost too much information around, it's a bit overwhelming.

    You don't say if it's a laptop or home computer. For a laptop, wireless can
    be very handy if you travel. More and more hotels, motels, coffee shops,
    libraries etc. are getting free wireless access, so you can connect as you
    travel (assuming you need to 8^).

    If it's just a home computer that came with a wireless card, you can keep
    your dialup if you are happy with it. For the wireless internet access,
    you'll need a Cable or DSL connection and a wireless router. That will also
    allow other computers in your house to connect to the internet and to your
    computer, if you want. They could also share a dialup connection by
    connecting to your computer's dialup through their own wireless cards.

    While a lot of people like it at home, I prefer wired LAN for my home most
    all the time. Most useful is for a laptop and traveling. I'd suggest using
    only free access places, some places use pay services like TMobile which is
    ridiculously priced, and if no one uses it, maybe they'll go away.

    Gary

    Gary R., Nov 24, 2004
  4. Great explanation here:

    http://tinyurl.com/4wmth

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 24, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Here is an excellent place to get acquainted!

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    Then click on some of the tutorials on the left side of the site.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 25, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

    Jim Guest

    If you only have one computer you should be able to connect directly to your
    computer with a network card. If you have more then one computer to connect
    to the internet you will need to build a network. Go to D-Link, Netgear and
    some of the other network product companies web sites; they have
    configuration utilities that will tell you what you need to buy and how to
    set it up.

    Jim, Nov 25, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The content of the following links will provide you with a short tutorial
    about Wireless, it is short and to the point:

    Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, but
    the principles are still the same.

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 25, 2004