Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian linerthat sunk

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 16, 2012

  2. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:46:20 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

    > I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    > these images. That's one big boat.
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

    Looks like they have rope ladders tied to the
    lifeboats, seems a good idea, maybe a bit cumbersome
    for older people but at least a way of getting
    off a listing ship.

    You would think somebody would have come up with
    a type of crumpling outer skirt on ships that
    would take the ripping action and leave the main
    hull intact.
    Irwell, Jan 16, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 16, 12:15 pm, Irwell <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:46:20 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
    > > I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    > > these images.  That's one big boat.

    > >  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

    > Looks like they have rope ladders tied to the
    > lifeboats, seems a good idea, maybe a bit cumbersome
    > for older people but at least a way of getting
    > off a listing ship.
    >
    > You would think somebody would have come up with
    > a type of crumpling outer skirt on ships that
    > would take the ripping action and leave the main
    > hull intact.

    Like an oil tanker. Like the Titanic, automatic water-tight doors
    should have compartmentalized the flooding preventing capsizing. They
    didn't.
    RichA, Jan 16, 2012
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    : > these images. That's one big boat.
    : >
    : > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050
    :
    : Looks like they have rope ladders tied to the
    : lifeboats, seems a good idea, maybe a bit cumbersome
    : for older people but at least a way of getting
    : off a listing ship.
    :
    : You would think somebody would have come up with
    : a type of crumpling outer skirt on ships that
    : would take the ripping action and leave the main
    : hull intact.

    According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    themselves.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 16, 2012
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:46:20 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    : these images. That's one big boat.
    :
    : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

    When you see it laid out like that, you can appreciate how top-heavy it must
    have been. It doesn't appear to have much of a keel, presumably so that it can
    get into shallow harbors. In a way, it looks more like an oversized ferry boat
    than an ocean liner. It boggles the mind to imagine how things might have gone
    if the damage had occurred in open water.

    Maybe someone who actually knows something about ship design will see it
    differently. But I think I might be afraid to set foot on one of those
    behemoths.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 16, 2012
  6. Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

    > On 2012-01-16 05:46:20 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    >> these images. That's one big boat.
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

    > For those with access to Google+ (G+), photographer Robert Vongher
    > shared the series of shots he took recording most of this accident.
    > <
    > https://plus.google.com/photos/115893768571611039178/albums/5697479271862536705

    There's a very nice photo, apparently not one of Robert's, showing the
    ship bracketed by two lighhouses, one on each side. That's the first
    image that showed up in my G+ feed, and I was able to comment that the
    problem obviously hadn't been a shortage of lighthouses.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 16, 2012
  7. David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 16, 2012
  8. RichA

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:30 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:15:25 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2012-01-16 05:46:20 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >>> I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    >>> these images. That's one big boat.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

    >>For those with access to Google+ (G+), photographer Robert Vongher
    >>shared the series of shots he took recording most of this accident.
    >><
    >>https://plus.google.com/photos/115893768571611039178/albums/5697479271862536705
    >>>

    > An interesting series of photographs. The position and pattern of the
    > damage, and that the stabiliser fin on that side does not appear to be
    > damaged, suggests she was slewing sharply to the right when she
    > struck. Once again this raises the question of what she was doing at
    > the time of the impact.

    According to the BBC News this morning the Captain had
    veered from the set course to show his boat to some islanders.
    Irwell, Jan 16, 2012
  9. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:41:53 -0800, Irwell <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:30 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

    >705
    >>>>>
    >>> An interesting series of photographs. The position and pattern of the
    >>> damage, and that the stabiliser fin on that side does not appear to be
    >>> damaged, suggests she was slewing sharply to the right when she
    >>> struck. Once again this raises the question of what she was doing at
    >>> the time of the impact.
    >>>

    >>According to the BBC News this morning the Captain had
    >>veered from the set course to show his boat to some islanders.

    >Maybe he strayed into strange waters, saw the rock on his sonar and
    >veered away from it, thereby swinging his stern into it.
    >

    >There is nothing like uninformed speculation in these matters. :)

    Soon as that black box is read out, there wont be ANY specualtion.
    GMAN, Jan 16, 2012
  10. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    > themselves.

    Right, they had plenty of time to find some spare rope and make their own
    rope ladders!
    You are joking right?

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Jan 16, 2012
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:55:28 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:41:53 -0800, Irwell <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:30 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
    : >
    : >> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:15:25 -0800, Savageduck
    : >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>>On 2012-01-16 05:46:20 -0800, RichA <> said:
    : >>>
    : >>>> I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    : >>>> these images. That's one big boat.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050
    : >>>
    : >>>For those with access to Google+ (G+), photographer Robert Vongher
    : >>>shared the series of shots he took recording most of this accident.
    : >>><
    : >>>https://plus.google.com/photos/115893768571611039178/albums/5697479271862536705
    : >>>>
    : >> An interesting series of photographs. The position and pattern of the
    : >> damage, and that the stabiliser fin on that side does not appear to be
    : >> damaged, suggests she was slewing sharply to the right when she
    : >> struck. Once again this raises the question of what she was doing at
    : >> the time of the impact.
    : >>
    : >According to the BBC News this morning the Captain had
    : >veered from the set course to show his boat to some islanders.

    The company president, speaking on CNN, had it the opposite way: the captain
    was giving the passengers a better view of the island. Either way, he was
    off-course.

    : Maybe he strayed into strange waters, saw the rock on his sonar and
    : veered away from it, thereby swinging his stern into it.
    :
    : There is nothing like uninformed speculation in these matters. :)

    It's highly probable that the truth, whatever it is, will eventually come out.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 16, 2012
  12. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:27:51 +1100, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    :
    : "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    : news:p...
    : > According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    : > themselves.
    :
    : Right, they had plenty of time to find some spare rope and make their own
    : rope ladders!

    The passenger said that's pretty much what they did. He said they didn't see
    how they'd be able to get down the side of the ship, so they found some rope
    and made ladders. You'll note that I didn't say that's what they did. I said
    that's what one of the passengers said they did.

    : You are joking right?

    As there's not a word in my post that supports that notion, I have to suppose
    that if either of us is joking, you are.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 17, 2012
  13. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > : > According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    > : > themselves.
    > :
    > : Right, they had plenty of time to find some spare rope and make their
    > own
    > : rope ladders!
    >
    > The passenger said that's pretty much what they did. He said they didn't
    > see
    > how they'd be able to get down the side of the ship, so they found some
    > rope
    > and made ladders. You'll note that I didn't say that's what they did. I
    > said
    > that's what one of the passengers said they did.

    Exactly, but you still seem to believe it.

    > : You are joking right?
    >
    > As there's not a word in my post that supports that notion, I have to
    > suppose
    > that if either of us is joking, you are.

    I was just checking because I found it hard to imagine anyone that gullible.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Jan 17, 2012
  14. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    > On 2012-01-16 16:47:49 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >> : > According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    >> : > themselves.

    > In an NBC interview this morning, a passenger who says he was among the
    > last off, said he and some of the remaining male passengers found the
    > ladders. They used those and some of the lines detached from the
    > lifeboats, to climb down to rescue boats.

    Right, they found them as is, NOT "fashioned those *rope ladders*
    themselves".
    How anyone can imagine they found some rope and sat there making "rope
    ladders" staggers the imagination!

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Jan 17, 2012
  15. RichA

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:12:50 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2012-01-16 16:47:49 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:27:51 +1100, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    >>:
    >>: "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    >>: news:p...
    >>: > According to one of the passengers, they fashioned those rope ladders
    >>: > themselves.
    >>:
    >>: Right, they had plenty of time to find some spare rope and make their own
    >>: rope ladders!
    >>
    >> The passenger said that's pretty much what they did. He said they didn't see
    >> how they'd be able to get down the side of the ship, so they found some rope
    >> and made ladders. You'll note that I didn't say that's what they did. I said
    >> that's what one of the passengers said they did.
    >>
    >>: You are joking right?
    >>
    >> As there's not a word in my post that supports that notion, I have to suppose
    >> that if either of us is joking, you are.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > In an NBC interview this morning, a passenger who says he was among the
    > last off, said he and some of the remaining male passengers found the
    > ladders. They used those and some of the lines detached from the
    > lifeboats, to climb down to rescue boats.

    The ladders in the photographs are the ones made with
    rope and wooden slats. Pilots use this type of ladder
    when boarding moving ships.
    Irwell, Jan 17, 2012
  16. RichA

    Guest

    Re: Someone may win a prize for some of these shots the Italian liner that sunk

    First prize in the photo competition would be a free cruise.
    , Jan 17, 2012
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 16, 4:41 pm, Irwell <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:30 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:15:25 -0800, Savageduck
    > > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >>For those with access to Google+ (G+), photographer Robert Vongher
    > >>shared the series of shots he took recording most of this accident.
    > >><
    > >>https://plus.google.com/photos/115893768571611039178/albums/569747927....

    > > An interesting series of photographs. The position and pattern of the
    > > damage, and that the stabiliser fin on that side does not appear to be
    > > damaged, suggests she was slewing sharply to the right when she
    > > struck. Once again this raises the question of what she was doing at
    > > the time of the impact.

    > According to the BBC News this morning the Captain had
    > veered from the set course to show his boat to some islanders.

    Guy was an incompetent coward. He'll likely see jail time over this.

    BBC:

    Meanwhile, an Italian newspaper printed excerpts of a conversation
    between the captain and coast guards on shore during the incident.

    Capt. Francesco Schettino gave contradictory answers about whether he
    had abandoned the ship, prompting authorities on shore to instruct him
    to return to it.

    "Commander, this is an order. Now I am in charge. You have abandoned
    ship," the unnamed coast guard says, telling him to go back to the
    vessel and coordinate rescue efforts.

    Prosecutor Francesco Verusio confirmed that the partial conversation
    printed in Corriere della Serra matched a transcript prosecutors had.

    Authorities questioned Schettino at a closed hearing Tuesday, his
    attorney said.

    Questions abound for captain of doomed cruise ship
    Disaster management amid cruise sinking
    Survivors from Italian cruise ship speak
    American survivors of shipwreck speak

    He is under arrest and may face charges that include manslaughter,
    shipwreck, and abandoning a ship when passengers were still on board,
    Verusio said.

    Schettino could face up to 15 years in prison, the prosecutor said.
    RichA, Jan 17, 2012
  18. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 17, 8:53 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 4:41 pm, Irwell <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:41:30 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > > > An interesting series of photographs. The position and pattern of the
    > > > damage, and that the stabiliser fin on that side does not appear to be
    > > > damaged, suggests she was slewing sharply to the right when she
    > > > struck. Once again this raises the question of what she was doing at
    > > > the time of the impact.

    > > According to the BBC News this morning the Captain had
    > > veered from the set course to show his boat to some islanders.

    > Guy was an incompetent coward.  He'll likely see jail time over this.
    >
    > BBC:
    >
    > Meanwhile, an Italian newspaper printed excerpts of a conversation
    > between the captain and coast guards on shore during the incident.
    >
    > Capt. Francesco Schettino gave contradictory answers about whether he
    > had abandoned the ship, prompting authorities on shore to instruct him
    > to return to it.
    >
    > "Commander, this is an order. Now I am in charge. You have abandoned
    > ship," the unnamed coast guard says, telling him to go back to the
    > vessel and coordinate rescue efforts.
    >
    > Prosecutor Francesco Verusio confirmed that the partial conversation
    > printed in Corriere della Serra matched a transcript prosecutors had.
    >
    > Authorities questioned Schettino at a closed hearing Tuesday, his
    > attorney said.
    >
    > Questions abound for captain of doomed cruise ship
    > Disaster management amid cruise sinking
    > Survivors from Italian cruise ship speak
    > American survivors of shipwreck speak
    >
    > He is under arrest and may face charges that include manslaughter,
    > shipwreck, and abandoning a ship when passengers were still on board,
    > Verusio said.
    >
    > Schettino could face up to 15 years in prison, the prosecutor said.

    I hope the bastard hangs himself in jail. The cost of his laziness,
    incompetence, lies and cowardice in lives and dollars is huge.
    Besides, the guy wears a mullet so he deserves to die for that alone.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jan/17/costa-concordia-captain-phone-call-video
    RichA, Jan 17, 2012
  19. RichA

    OG Guest

    On 16/01/2012 18:39, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:46:20 -0800 (PST), RichA<> wrote:
    > : I have to admit, there's a really weird-looking sense of scale in
    > : these images. That's one big boat.
    > :
    > : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050
    >
    > When you see it laid out like that, you can appreciate how top-heavy it must
    > have been. It doesn't appear to have much of a keel, presumably so that it can
    > get into shallow harbors. In a way, it looks more like an oversized ferry boat
    > than an ocean liner. It boggles the mind to imagine how things might have gone
    > if the damage had occurred in open water.

    The problem was the listing; if the boat had been in open water, it may
    have settled deeper - but still upright.
    OG, Jan 17, 2012