    even after uninstall of the program from Add/Remove Programs. So you can
    keep only one of the two on your system.

    Who do you trust?

    Terry George, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Terry George wrote:
    > Lavasoft: All versions of Ad-Aware are compatible with all major anti-virus
    > and firewall solutions. Lavasoft recommends you to use anti-virus and
    > firewall software in addition to Ad-Aware to keep your computer safe.
    >
    > McAfee: The fact is that the Security Products of two different Vendors
    > can't function properly on the same system at the same time. They conflict
    > with each other and especially their registry entries which are not deleted
    > even after uninstall of the program from Add/Remove Programs. So you can
    > keep only one of the two on your system.
    >

    > Who do you trust?

    None, but McAfee is right at this point. Installing two FileSystem
    filtering hooks commonly leads to all kinds of race conditions, errors
    and misbehaviour.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 4, 2006

  3. Terry George

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:08:52 GMT, "Terry George" <>
    wrote:

    >Lavasoft: All versions of Ad-Aware are compatible with all major anti-virus
    >and firewall solutions. Lavasoft recommends you to use anti-virus and
    >firewall software in addition to Ad-Aware to keep your computer safe.
    >
    >McAfee: The fact is that the Security Products of two different Vendors
    >can't function properly on the same system at the same time. They conflict
    >with each other and especially their registry entries which are not deleted
    >even after uninstall of the program from Add/Remove Programs. So you can
    >keep only one of the two on your system.
    >

    >Who do you trust?

    Both of them, when McAfee are talking about a 'security product'
    they don't mean adaware which is a spyware scanner but a full blown
    AV product which takes over your system like Norton.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Terry George

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:36:09 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >Terry George wrote:
    >> Lavasoft: All versions of Ad-Aware are compatible with all major anti-virus
    >> and firewall solutions. Lavasoft recommends you to use anti-virus and
    >> firewall software in addition to Ad-Aware to keep your computer safe.
    >>
    >> McAfee: The fact is that the Security Products of two different Vendors
    >> can't function properly on the same system at the same time. They conflict
    >> with each other and especially their registry entries which are not deleted
    >> even after uninstall of the program from Add/Remove Programs. So you can
    >> keep only one of the two on your system.
    >>

    >> Who do you trust?

    >None, but McAfee is right at this point. Installing two FileSystem
    >filtering hooks commonly leads to all kinds of race conditions, errors
    >and misbehaviour.

    Which adaware does not do ... or at least the version I use is
    set that way.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 4, 2006

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> and firewall solutions. Lavasoft recommends you to use anti-virus and
    >>> firewall software in addition to Ad-Aware to keep your computer safe.
    >>> [...]
    >>> Who do you trust?

    >> None, but McAfee is right at this point. Installing two FileSystem
    >> filtering hooks commonly leads to all kinds of race conditions, errors
    >> and misbehaviour.

    > Which adaware does not do ... or at least the version I use is
    > set that way.

    Right, the free (beer) version has this feature stripped. But take a
    look at the quote again...

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Terry George

    Vanguard Guest

    "Terry George" <> wrote in message
    > Lavasoft: All versions of Ad-Aware are compatible with all major
    > anti-virus
    > and firewall solutions. Lavasoft recommends you to use anti-virus and
    > firewall software in addition to Ad-Aware to keep your computer safe.
    >
    > McAfee: The fact is that the Security Products of two different Vendors
    > can't function properly on the same system at the same time. They conflict
    > with each other and especially their registry entries which are not
    > deleted
    > even after uninstall of the program from Add/Remove Programs. So you can
    > keep only one of the two on your system.
    >
    > Who do you trust?

    Since you are quoting out of context, there were probably conditions
    referred to by context that you are not divulging. Got the URLs to wherever
    you picked up those statements?

    ANY software can conflict or interfere with ANY other software.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Terry George

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Terry - See my reply in alt.comp.anti-virus.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Mar 4, 2006
  8. Terry George

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:43:37 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> None, but McAfee is right at this point. Installing two FileSystem
    >>> filtering hooks commonly leads to all kinds of race conditions, errors
    >>> and misbehaviour.

    >> Which adaware does not do ... or at least the version I use is
    >> set that way.

    >Right, the free (beer) version has this feature stripped. But take a
    >look at the quote again...

    Well, ALL is a big territory - if there is some overlap in the
    programs then there could be an issue - however my preference
    is not to have anything like that running at all. The machine goes
    a lot faster. Providing the perimeter defenses are good and one
    is cautious there is no problem.

    For instance the current version of Norton bitches if the firewall
    is not enabled. The clients machines are behind a NAT router
    and all it does is screw up useful network activity.

    Most of the AV software is bloated machine cycle sucking over
    hyped BS.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 4, 2006
  9. >Who do you trust?

    It may not make any difference, but have you tried to download the
    latest version of the adaware? Regards,

    * www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
    * Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels
    * Anonymous Mail & News through SSH-2 Tunnels
    * Free Resources and Privacy Software

    (admins) privacyoffshore, Mar 5, 2006