    I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    my old nicks still.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Impossible Guest

    > Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
    > guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
    >
    > I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    > working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    > my old nicks still.

    I know it often seems like a private club here, but this is a public
    newsgroup. Tell me, please, you're not going to make an issue of every bit
    of spam that comes your way.

    Impossible, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
    > guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
    >
    > I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    > working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    > my old nicks still.

    Its know as trawling for email addresses in the news archives. I have
    not used a real email address in news groups for years, (like 4+) yet
    new spam finds my old un-used addresses, which I fetchmail still.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Impossible wrote:
    >>Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
    >>guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
    >>
    >>I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    >>working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    >>my old nicks still.

    > I know it often seems like a private club here, but this is a public
    > newsgroup. Tell me, please, you're not going to make an issue of every bit
    > of spam that comes your way.

    nah... just thought it might be worth mentioning, might provoke someone
    here to check their machien and say "****, it's me"... Because of the
    number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
    also received them(those of us that use a real address).

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> provided this moment of
    wisdom....

    >Impossible wrote:
    >>>Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
    >>>guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
    >>>
    >>>I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    >>>working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    >>>my old nicks still.

    >> I know it often seems like a private club here, but this is a public
    >> newsgroup. Tell me, please, you're not going to make an issue of every bit
    >> of spam that comes your way.

    >nah... just thought it might be worth mentioning, might provoke someone
    >here to check their machien and say "****, it's me".

    Oh shit! I just checked - it was me. Nah, just kidding.

    >.. Because of the
    >number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
    >also received them(those of us that use a real address).

    A real address. WTF is that. One of us needs to go and lie down for a
    while :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>.. Because of the
    >>number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
    >>also received them(those of us that use a real address).

    > A real address. WTF is that.

    /me meant "a real *email* address"

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    xlo Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
    > guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
    >
    > I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
    > working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
    > my old nicks still.

    One of my email accounts has been getting hundreds of bounce messages
    from all over the planet over the past couple of days.
    Seems a spambot zombie machine has harvested my email address and put it
    in the return path in the headers. AFAIK, I haven't posted the address
    unmunged on usenet.
    I think I'll have to kill the email a/c.
    I don't think that the returned email spam headers offer much help in
    tracing the offending machine:

    From: "MakeMoney" <>
    To: <>
    Subject: Be ready for retirement